Wurm Online! (The Fantasy/Medieval Sandbox MMO you've never heard of and should try!)

wurmLogoLarge.png

Mods could you please move this Thread to LFG as it is more LFG than general PC gaming.

Hey guys!

I'm an avid player of Wurm Online and I thought I'd bring the game that I love to your attention, or maybe you're looking for another game to get addicted to.

What is Wurm Online?

Wurm Online is a fantasy/medieval themed sandbox game that is free to play forever but your free account will have a skill cap of 20 out of 100 (more on this later). Wurm Online is a game where you can live in the woods, grow your crops and tend to your stock. Wurm Online is a game where you could live in a deed (Player made town, more on this later) and become a great chain smith (or plate mail, or weapons etc.). Wurm Online is a game of endless possibilities backed up by an even greater and dedicated community. 

Why should I care?

You should care if you are tired with games where you can't 'connect' with the players you are playing with. When you search for a game in say a CoD or Battlefield you hardly ever play with the same people and have a fresh experience each time. Wurm has a very, very small community (Probably under 20,000 players, pretty sure a lot less.) and you get to know people on your map fairly well. Every time you log in you will be able to go "Morning Jerimiah! How's the crops coming along?, Need any help keeping animals out?" or "Oh, hello Jeff! Didn't see you there! Have you got any rope I can buy off you?". That's the kind of community Wurm is. A community that you won't fit into straight away but after some time of journeying around and talking to players, you will feel more at home and part of the 'family'.

Not another game with skills... how is Wurm different?

Wurm is based around Skills. Now you might be saying, not another game with lists of skills... Fear not, Wurm improves upon the skill system significantly! Rather than having to get to level 25 to be able to 'unlock' smithing long swords all you need is a good Quality Anvil and some ore so that you have a chance (which is a % out of 100, 6% is the minimum to make something craft-able) to make the long sword, none of this get to level 25 to unlock a long sword!! That's not to say a higher weapon smithing won't allow you to make better swords but it's the combination of the quality (how 'good' something is. 99 is best, 1 is worst) of the objects you are using to make something. Need to improve that sword? Time to heat it up and temper the blade. Tempered the blade? Use a Whetstone to improve it some more.

What are the controls?

WASD to move as usual, clicking and dragging the mouse makes you look around (easy to get used to after a while) and there is no jumping either. Interacting with the world is done via clicking and drop down menus.

This 'Wurm Online' game sounds interesting but why should I play?

If you are looking for a game where you can be you, literally, then you should download Wurm now and try it out. It's free after all. Still not convinced? Somewhere inside that organic body of yours is a mind that is longing to be creative in a sandbox game where you can build, explore and have a great time with your friends. I will be embedding a YouTube video in this thread of me talking about Wurm and showing it off when I get the time too.

You mentioned that this is Free to play, Forever??

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: You will have a skill cap of 20 out of 100 and that's it if you play for free. No other restrictions. For something like 10 Euros a month you get premium, some coins (which you can use to buy some nice gear from fellow players) and a referral so that a friend of yours can get one month of Premium free (This is a one time thing though). You can earn you way for Premium in-game though!

I can pay for premium time just by playing?

Yes you can. You just need to do jobs for other players who will pay you in coins which you can use to buy premium time. Once you get a skill to a good level (say 40-50) you can make money easily buy selling whatever you craft by that skill. Therefore you are actually playing for free!

[spoiler=Righto, this 'Wurm Online' game sounds pretty awesome, I'd like to play!]

1) Simply visit their site and click the play button: http://wurmonline.com/ Make sure to register an account for the game too!

If you want to play with me (and other LTTF members) you need to do the following when IN-GAME:

1) Complete the tutorial up to the point where it asks you which server cluster you want to go to.

2) Go to either of the portals, examine it (by right clicking, examine) and checking if the portal goes to the EPIC or FREEDOM ISLES.

3) If the portal says Freedom Isles, go to the other portal. If it says Epic you are at the right portal.

4) Enter the portal and make sure you choose:

Serenity as the server/world

Jenn-Kellon as the race

5) Welcome to Serenity! Talk in local chat and ask for Covanent or anyone at DNPA (Dept. of New Player Assistance) and say you joined Wurm because of Samotage, some one in the village will then talk to you.

OR/AND

Type "/t samotage" without the quotes and you will then be in a chat window with me if I am on.

6) You are now playing Wurm Online with Samotage!

Thanks for taking an interest in my post and I hope I have convinced you to play Wurm Online (maybe with me too!).

- Samotage, long time player of Wurm (Over 700+ Hours).

PCG250.rev_wurm.pic7_.jpg

wurm-online_40.jpgwurm200810242200.png

*Edit* For those of you that want to play a village it would help if you commented or PMed me saying you're interested. Just so I can keep a track of everyone :)

Mods could you please move this Thread to LFG as it is more LFG than general PC gaming.

Edited by samotage

CPU: Intel i7 4790k MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD3H RAM: 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti SC w/ ACX SSD: Samsung 820 128gb HDD: Seagate 1TB PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Never heard of this before... time to look into it... uhh... does this count as advertising or recommending? CoC?

Maybe LFG would be a good section for this? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Never heard of this before... time to look into it... uhh... does this count as advertising or recommending? CoC?

Maybe LFG would be a good section for this? 

Yea. It's a bit of both really. I'll move it to LFG now. 

*Edit* When I figure out how (or mods do it before I figure it out)

*Edit2* Also if any of you guys have any questions about Wurm, feel free to ask. I have spent over 700 hours playing and know basically everything.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD3H RAM: 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti SC w/ ACX SSD: Samsung 820 128gb HDD: Seagate 1TB PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

It's not my cup of tea but my wife is really into the game. She runs Marienara and a couple of other characters I forget. I believe she has like the second highest crafting in the game.

Plus to any on else who is interested I'd like to point out from my time trying that this isn't something you can go lone wolf on. My impression and what I've heard is that you pretty much need to join a village to do well in this game.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

It's not my cup of tea but my wife is really into the game. She runs Marienara and a couple of other characters I forget. I believe she has like the second highest crafting in the game.

Plus to any on else who is interested I'd like to point out from my time trying that this isn't something you can go lone wolf on. My impression and what I've heard is that you pretty much need to join a village to do well in this game.

Wurm is definitely a game that's not for everyone. I've had friends join and love it while others hated it. Lone wolf is possible but only if you know how to properly play first and have everything necessary before you start out. It's always better to join a town and more fun since everyone can work together for common goals. Pretty awesome to know that you're wife is that dedicated to crafting, my highest skill is digging xD 

- Samo

*Update 1*

There's a place on the Eastern Shore of Serenity that is a perfect place for a town. Out of the way of everyone, easy to defend from raiders and is quite a nice area. I can take people from Spawn to the area whenever, since it's like a 5 minute ride. I'm still looking for more players to have a town with and/or try the game in general. Make sure to either PM me or comment if you're going to join and make sure to follow the instructions on how to.

Could mods please move the topic to LFG? Thanks :)

- Samo