i9 10900k stuck on 0.8GHz

laffe

I bought an i9 10900k and an ROG strix Z-490-H gaming motherboard as an upgrade to my existing pc and put it back together. My pc posts, but I seem to be stuck at 800MHz clock speed for no apparent reason.

When I enable AI overclocking in BIOS, the clock speed increases to what I assume to be the cpus normal clock speed, but then the clock speed randomly dips to 800MHz, before turning back to its normal clock speed. 

When trying to open a game like CSGO, the whole pc freezes and i have to restart it. In BIOS it says that my target cache clock speed is 800MHz for som reason..

Please help!

Things i've tried:

Loosening the gap between CPU and CPU-cooler (aircooling)

Downloading throttlestop and unticking BD prochot

Updating BIOS

Some other things in AI Suite 3 that i saw on the web

Power management plan is on ultimate

Tried turning off intel speedstep (EIST)

XMP2 doesnt solve anything

1282821859_DesktopScreenshot2021_01.26-12_25_12_79.png

5A016932-F815-41BC-96BB-2DCEC5EA787F.jpeg

1 minute ago, 803zack said:

What's your voltage on your CPU set at?

0.737V @  800 MHz

2 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

Did you change anything? Try to reset BIOS settings

Did not change anything in BIOS, tried to use optimal BIOS settings in exit screen.

Just now, DriftMan said:

have you used any tool to change voltage/performance/frequency of the cpu? throttlestop, intel xtu...

Did not try to change any of the things you mentioned..

I'd say something is wrong with the temps... i don't see you mention them, have you checked the temps?

I have no signature

18 minutes ago, Helly said:

I'd say something is wrong with the temps... i don't see you mention them, have you checked the temps?

When i enable AI overclock and clock speeds are at 5.4 GHz, all cores are comfortably under 40-50°c

@laffe Some computers are setting the turbo power limits to zero which can lock the CPU to 800 MHz. Run ThrottleStop and look in the Limit Reasons window. Are any boxes red? This indicates the reason for throttling. If you see PL1 or PL2 power limit throttling in red, run CPU-Z, click on the About tab and press the Save Report (.TXT) button. Look in that file for the power limit register at MSR 0x00000610

image.png.101f15f1e231cd8d26c70128c50d2f91.png

The last 3 digits in both parts of that register contain the turbo power limits. If these are set to 0 and the Clamp bit is also set, the CPU will max out at 800 MHz. No idea what is causing this. Post a screenshot of that register or screenshots of ThrottleStop if you want some help figuring this out. Some users have used the Lock option in the ThrottleStop TPL window to lock the power limit register so it cannot be changed by any other software while in Windows.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-9-2-9.276365/