Should I buy a new SSD for the OS because my current SSD is pretty old?

Felps421
Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,

I wouldn't buy a 256gb ssd personally. They are pretty expensive per gb compared to all the other capabilities. I would opt for a 500gb ssd for the boot drive at least as the prices aren't all that more than a 256 gb drive and usually have better performance. 

I have a Samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD that is about 3 years old and have a 5 year warranty and 75 tbw that I have my OS and other softwares like discord and spotify, and it has written 54tb. I also have a 7200rpm 600gb HDD that  that I have all of games on. I am going to buy a 860 evo 1tb that I'm going to have all my games on, and I'm wondering if I should keep having the OS on the 850 or if I should buy a 870 evo 250gb because the 870 250gb version is cheaper than the 860 250gb version instead that I have my OS on? Any your suggestions?

I wouldn't buy a 256gb ssd personally. They are pretty expensive per gb compared to all the other capabilities. I would opt for a 500gb ssd for the boot drive at least as the prices aren't all that more than a 256 gb drive and usually have better performance. 

Also I would consider the mx500 if you are looking for a sata ssd as it is usually cheaper than the 860 evo but performance wise it is relatively the same. 

Yeah I'll prob buy a 500gb one then because it has a better price per gb, is bigger and has better endurance.

Yeah I'll think about it, its about 10 dollars cheaper. However Samsung has their Magician where you can do benchmark and see the health of your drive and how many tb it has written. Is there a similar software like that for the mx500 or for any kind of drive?

4 minutes ago, Felps421 said:

Yeah I'll think about it, its about 10 dollars cheaper. However Samsung has their Magician where you can do benchmark and see the health of your drive and how many tb it has written. Is there a similar software like that for the mx500 or for any kind of drive?

Normal people use Crystal Disk Info. Magician is not that great but Crystal Disk works on every drive.

Also quote people so they see the reply.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

4 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Normal people use Crystal Disk Info. Magician is not that great but Crystal Disk works on every drive.

Alright thanks, I guess I'll go with the mx500. 

27 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

24 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also I would consider the mx500 if you are looking for a sata ssd as it is usually cheaper than the 860 evo but performance wise it is relatively the same. 

5 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

So my HDD also works with Crystal Disk Info?

That SSD can work up to 300TBW, you have a long way to go. replace it only when it has problems.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

That SSD can work up to 300TBW, you have a long way to go. replace it only when it has problems.

It only has 75 tbw, its the 4tb version that has 300 tbw. It has 20 terabytes left it can write.

IMO there is no reason to buy small SSD-s and no reason to buy separate SSD for OS.

If you really want to replace it - just buy one large SSD - it will be faster and will have higher endurance. Then if you really want - create separate partition for the OS.

That said IMO there is no reason not to continue using current SSD. It will not immediately fail once you write 75TB, it will just mean that you no longer have warranty. Replace t once it fails or once it becomes is too small to be useful.

3 hours ago, Felps421 said:

So my HDD also works with Crystal Disk Info?

Yes.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD