Router Speed Questions

Loli Pits

Hi guys... I'm trying to learn this networking thing... Starting with routers...

Why do some routers with a gigabit port have a wireless speed higher than a gigabit? Isn't it gonna be bottlenecked by the wired gigabit port? 

Is the speed beneficial on wireless to wireless only?

Is it because multiple users can connect to the wireless port? (I'm thinking maybe the router has a max 2000mbps on wireless and there are 4 people connected... They're only gonna get 500mbps each?)

Will the bandwidth even be divided? If so... Is it gonna be equally divided or is there a setting to allocate it?

I'm planning to make a simple freenas plex media server on an old laptop... I'm on the market for a router (the isp provided one somehow have the wired and wireless on a different network? Also only 1 port is activated)... And was thinking if i should splurge on a router based on the speed or some other fancy features...

What router speed do you guys think i need if i'm just streaming 1080p anime with like max 3 devices streaming on it?

If theres anything i got wrong... Please feel free to correct me... I'm still trying to learn and any feedback would be nice...

1 minute ago, Loli Pits said:

Why do some routers with a gigabit port have a wireless speed higher than a gigabit? Isn't it gonna be bottlenecked by the wired gigabit port? 

cause those wifi numbers will never happen in real life. They also add up things so you get an unrealistic large number. Something like 500mBit over wifi is pretty good

2 minutes ago, Loli Pits said:

Is it because multiple users can connect to the wireless port? (I'm thinking maybe the router has a max 2000mbps on wireless and there are 4 people connected... They're only gonna get 500mbps each?)

Its shared real time, so if one client wants use lots of bandwidth it can.

2 minutes ago, Loli Pits said:

'm planning to make a simple freenas plex media server on an old laptop... I'm on the market for a router (the isp provided one somehow have the wired and wireless on a different network? Also only 1 port is activated)... And was thinking if i should splurge on a router based on the speed or some other fancy features...

Id keep the server on wired if you can, it will work much better.

3 minutes ago, Loli Pits said:

What router speed do you guys think i need if i'm just streaming 1080p anime with like max 3 devices streaming on it?

you really don't need much, 100mbit will be plenty, but depends on bitrate.

12 minutes ago, Loli Pits said:

Hi guys... I'm trying to learn this networking thing... Starting with routers...

Routers have Wi-Fi with higher stated speed because Wi-Fi is unreliable can only reach the claimed speed only under ideal conditions and when more clients connect this becomes even worst, while Ethernet always works as it should.

Will the bandwidth even be divided? If so... Is it gonna be equally divided or is there a setting to allocate it?

Some routers have settings to allocate bandwidth to users,

I'm planning to make a simple freenas plex media server on an old laptop... I'm on the market for a router (the isp provided one somehow have the wired and wireless on a different network? Also only 1 port is activated)... And was thinking if i should splurge on a router based on the speed or some other fancy features...

If theres anything i got wrong... Please feel free to correct me... I'm still trying to learn and any feedback would be nice...

Since you will make a FreeNAS you should accompany it with a pfSense they would make the perfect couple and it will help you learn networking

11 hours ago, Loli Pits said:

The speed claims made by router makers need to be taken with a grain of salt. Many times they will add together what 2.4 and 5 Ghz are rated for. 

For example AC1900, might be 600 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz and 1300 Mbps on 5 Ghz. Even then those speeds are what they got in laboratory conditions. In the real world you WILL get less. WiFi is also not as stable at Ethernet. The wireless airwaves can change unexpectedly, leading to better or crappier performance. 

There is no benefit of doing wireless only. Its highly suggested that any devices you can wire up, that you do wire them up. With a few exceptions. Many TV makers only use 100 Mbps Ethernet, in some scenarios you might want faster speeds. For example Ive read that a full quality 4K Blueray rip on a Plex server can use more than 100 Mbps per stream. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.