Best keyboards for developers

kip_sabian

I am trying to find a good keyboard for general coding. I've tried finding some reviews, but most of the websites have keyboards that are very loud. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

2 minutes ago, kip_sabian said:

I am trying to find a good keyboard for general coding. I've tried finding some reviews, but most of the websites have keyboards that are very loud. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

The problem is that it's an entirely personal thing. Some people like quiet membrane-keyboards, some like loud mechanical ones, some like something in-between -- there is no keyboard that's "best" for everyone.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Well there's no "best" keyboard for programmers.

Some like it soft, some like it clicky, some like it silent.

If you want silent keyboards, try Apple keyboards or other non apple low profile keys.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

10 minutes ago, kip_sabian said:

You might do better maybe looking at ergonomic style keyboards or reviews?

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The problem is that it's an entirely personal thing. Some people like quiet membrane-keyboards, some like loud mechanical ones, some like something in-between -- there is no keyboard that's "best" for everyone.

This is objectively and inarguably incorrect. Everyone knows Cherry MX Blues with RGBs are the best keyboards in crowded office cubicles. It's how your boss knows you are actually working and not watching the YouberTubes.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

3 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

This is objectively and inarguably incorrect. Everyone knows Cherry MX Blues with RGBs are the best keyboards in crowded office cubicles. It's how your boss knows you are actually working and not watching the YouberTubes.

Gateron blues> cherry MX blues

As said above it all depends on what you like If you're going to typing a lot a shorter keyboard is preferred by most. you might want to go to a best buy or a tech store near you and see if you can find any keyboards they have laying around out, see how the switch feels and what you like. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, kip_sabian said:

I don't know much about coding.  Do you need some macro support or things like that of just a normal full size keyboard will do ? 

The very loud keyboards you are referring to are probably something with blue or some other kind of clicky switches.  If you don't like noise surely avoid those and look for tactile switches (if you still want a tactile feeling to your switch when pressing them) or linear (if you want them smooth from the start to the finish). 

If you still find those non clicky switches too loud then you might want to look at silent switches.  Those switches have some dampeners inside that minimize the sound of the bottoming down and the topping up of the switch.  That will help a whole lot to make the keyboard quiet. 

Here is a video of a silent leopold keyboard

If you don't need fancy things I would suggest the glorious gmmk with some silent switches like the kailh box silent brown (tactile) or pink (linear) (or any other you can find) with a set of keycap that is pleasing to you. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

19 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Gateron blues> cherry MX blues

And then clickbar switches destroyed all click jacket switches if you only talking Cherry MX's clones. Talking outside of the MX style keycap mount you will find clicky Alps and of course, beamspring and buckling spring switches.

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

1 hour ago, ProBottler said:

And then clickbar switches destroyed all click jacket switches if you only talking Cherry MX's clones. Talking outside of the MX style keycap mount you will find clicky Alps and of course, beamspring and buckling spring switches.

I believe both gateron and cherry  blue switches use a click bar, but I may be wrong

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

There is no "best" human interface peripheral. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

22 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I have tried the membrane ones, my keyboard came with it, but I don't like the feel. What I am looking for is something between the magic keyboard, and a mechanical keyboard. I don't know if that exits out there. 

14 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I don't know much about coding.  Do you need some macro support or things like that of just a normal full size keyboard will do ? 

The very loud keyboards you are referring to are probably something with blue or some other kind of clicky switches.  If you don't like noise surely avoid those and look for tactile switches (if you still want a tactile feeling to your switch when pressing them) or linear (if you want them smooth from the start to the finish). 

If you still find those non clicky switches too loud then you might want to look at silent switches.  Those switches have some dampeners inside that minimize the sound of the bottoming down and the topping up of the switch.  That will help a whole lot to make the keyboard quiet. 

Here is a video of a silent leopold keyboard

If you don't need fancy things I would suggest the glorious gmmk with some silent switches like the kailh box silent brown (tactile) or pink (linear) (or any other you can find) with a set of keycap that is pleasing to you. 

Just a keyboard with the number pad included. I don't need specialized keys. I've never tried the blue keys, I will see if my local electronic store has something like that. Thank you for the videos. 

22 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well there's no "best" keyboard for programmers.

Some like it soft, some like it clicky, some like it silent.

If you want silent keyboards, try Apple keyboards or other non apple low profile keys.

I wonder if there is something between the magic keyboards. I've tried those too, I like them, but I want something that provides some sort of feedback like the mechanical ones do. 

There are low profile mech keyboards.

Hexgears X-1 Review - Low Profile Wireless Mechanical Keyboard - YouTube

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I believe both gateron and cherry  blue switches use a click bar, but I may be wrong

they use click jacket.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD