Microsoft Boosts Price of Xbox Live Gold, Sparking Gamer Outrage, Reverses the decision!

Jet_ski

Summary

Microsoft has reversed its controversial Xbox Live price increase. Earlier today the company announced a price hike starting today that would have doubled the cost of a yearly subscription to the service, which is required to play games online on Xbox consoles, to $120 for many users. After a ton of outrage, hours later Microsoft says the price will stay the same.

This move would have pushed the price of Xbox Live Gold closer to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, a more expensive subscription that also gives access to games and other perks. At $15 a month, or $180 a year, Game Pass Ultimate would have become only $60 more expensive than a year of Xbox Live Gold.

Quotes

In justifying the move, Microsoft said the price of Xbox Live Gold “has not changed for years and in some markets, it hasn’t changed for over 10 years.”

My thoughts

Microsoft explanation for these price hikes lead me to believe they’ll go forward with the price hikes as soon as they think it won’t hurt their new console sales.

Everyone had been talking about what a great deal buying an Xbox with Game Pass subscriptions was. But maybe not if Microsoft plans to increase their subscription fees so significantly.

For $180 Game Pass subscription fee per year, you could buy many used games on eBay and keep them.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/microsoft-boosts-price-of-xbox-live-gold-sparking-gamer-outrage

THere is an active thread for this already: 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

-= Locked =-

As noted, this is a re-post.

Please do a check before posting in the future, Thank-you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER