switch emulator

Pc6777
Go to solution Solved by WaggishOhio383,
2 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

It would probably be hard to get someone to lend me theirs to do that with the risk of bricking it or them getting in trouble by nintendo... Yea I dont want to pirate anything I just want to play legal games on a computer with an emulator and make clones of legal copies for myself. 

Yeah, I totally get that. I've looked into ripping system files and games from my family's switch myself. But it's a newer model so there's no way to mod it to allow that yet.

As unfortunate as it is, the only legal way to do what you're wanting would be to look for an older model Switch selling used on Ebay or some other site. The newer versions have a security patch that prevents you from ripping system files or games as of right now.

I wanted to buy some physical switch game cartridge's and play them with yuzu, can you use the cartridge's on a computer with an adapter? and can you clone them to an sd card with linux in a bit for bit clone? I dont have a switch and wont get one because im not going to buy a proprietary piece of hardware when i have computers and graphics cards. 

Nope. No way to do what you're wanting unfortunately. In order to even get a Switch emulator working, you have to upload system files from your Switch that you own. In theory you could download or obtain them from someone else, but that would be piracy, which I get the sense is what you're wanting to avoid (if you were trying to pirate things it couldn't be discussed here anyway). There's also no way to rip game files from a cartridge without using a Switch itself. You could borrow someone else's switch to rip games that you own, but that still doesn't solve the issue of providing your own system files for the emulator to even run.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Nope. No way to do what you're wanting unfortunately. In order to even get a Switch emulator working, you have to upload system files from your Switch that you own. In theory you could download or obtain them from someone else, but that would be piracy, which I get the sense is what you're wanting to avoid (if you were trying to pirate things it couldn't be discussed here anyway). There's also no way to rip game files from a cartridge without using a Switch itself. You could borrow someone else's switch to rip games that you own, but that still doesn't solve the issue of providing your own system files for the emulator to even run.

It would probably be hard to get someone to lend me theirs to do that with the risk of bricking it or them getting in trouble by nintendo... Yea I dont want to pirate anything I just want to play legal games on a computer with an emulator and make clones of legal copies for myself. 

2 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

Yeah, I totally get that. I've looked into ripping system files and games from my family's switch myself. But it's a newer model so there's no way to mod it to allow that yet.

As unfortunate as it is, the only legal way to do what you're wanting would be to look for an older model Switch selling used on Ebay or some other site. The newer versions have a security patch that prevents you from ripping system files or games as of right now.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I just don't like closed systems its not even about the money. These exclusives irritate me I have everything I need to play them hardware wise. Plus a bunch of games have framerate issues and I like keyboard and mouse. 

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I guess I will never play zelda unless i borrow a family members switch or play on an old wii u, not supporting this closed system crap i would rather put that money into a cpu or gpu lol. 

5 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I just don't like closed systems its not even about the money. These exclusives irritate me I have everything I need to play them hardware wise. Plus a bunch of games have framerate issues and I like keyboard and mouse. 

Yeah, I really wish Nintendo would release some of their games on Steam. It would be so nice to have a PC port of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Ultimate. It would get them a lot of sales and expand the playerbase too. I understand having a few exclusives to give people incentive to buy their consoles, but having every game they make be exclusive to their platform can get annoying. Especially when their console is so much less powerful and impressive than the other current options.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

Yeah, I really wish Nintendo would release some of their games on Steam. It would be so nice to have a PC port of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Ultimate. It would get them a lot of sales and expand the playerbase too. I understand having a few exclusives to give people incentive to buy their consoles, but having every game you make be exclusive to your consoles can get annoying.

It would be cool if Nintendo in the future was near bankruptcy and was forced to port everything to pc to make enough money to crawl out of a money problem. 

15 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

It would be cool if Nintendo in the future was near bankruptcy and was forced to port everything to pc to make enough money to crawl out of a money problem. 

Yeah. Unfortunately there's a certain once-rival company I'm much more fond of who's getting much closer to that type of situation right now...

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

5 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Yeah. Unfortunately there's a certain rival company I'm much more fond of who's getting much closer to that type of situation right now...

sonys starting to get there, maybe they don't even have money problems and just see a big dollar sighn and cant resist. would have never played horizon zero dawn if not for the port and I enjoyed it a lot. Windows kinda irritates me too but I deal with it, hopefully someone makes a program that can emulate ANY windows program flawlessly on linux so I cans switch over. even if there is a little overhead I can get better hardware to make up for it.