23 Pins?

NoxiousTed

I was here yesterday trying to figure out why my computer wouldn't turn on. I gave up on it for the night and woke up again to try and troubleshoot it. I found that there were only 23 pins and not 24. I looked into the pins on the motherboard thinking it was stuck. Apparently it never came with that pin and the hole was empty. I don't know if Seasonic is known for having faulty PSUs or not. If this is indeed broken and someone confirms it I will end up returning the PSU and getting a higher price one. If you have any recommendations I'm all for it. For now I'm going to unplug everything and close the case to prevent dust from attacking it. While removing the wires I stumbled upon a problem. My case is pretty cheap. The USB 3.0 cord from my case got stuck to the motherboard and ripped the cover off and bent the pins. I don't know if this is a huge deal or not. There is only one 3.0 on the case and my motherboard already has 3.0s. If it is a big deal I'll probably return my motherboard or buy another one. 

The motherboard 24 pins: 

The broken USB 3.0 port:

Then I also attached a picture of the missing pin.

image.png.4c449edf46d768712d9186ad8a6ab727.png

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The -5V pin has been empty since about 2002-2004. That's not the cause of the issue.

This is my first build and I didn't know there wasn't 24 exact pins. I've always heard 24.

12 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

The USB 3.0 cord from my case got stuck to the motherboard and ripped the cover off and bent the pins.

That's not much of a problem. You can leave it like that if you don't plan on using the USB 3 ports, but I'd bent the pins back into their original form and put the cover back on. It's a bit tricky, but as long as you're careful you can't hurt anything.

Can't help you with your PC not turning on rn tho.

The connector has 24 pins.

The one missing is -5v, which was present in ISA slots (the ones before AGP and conventional PCI).  On ISA slots, it was used on fax modems and audio amplifiers on sound cards. Nowadays, it's no longer needed so it's removed from specification and therefore the wire is missing.

There's another wire which may be gone in the future, which is for -12v - that's only used for serial ports which are still used to communicate with various things like network switches, telecommunication equipment, point of sale devices.

A lot of headers on motherboards have a pin missing, that's the case with USB headers. The reason for that is so that you won't insert the plug the wrong way - usually the matching hole in the plug is filled with something, so that if you try to insert the plug the wrong way, the pin on the header can't go in the filled hole in the plug.

Your blue usb 3 plugs don't have that hole filled because the header is keyed using the plastic walls of the header.

You can get a flathead screwdriver or a ruler or a credit card and gently and carefully apply some sideway pressure on the pins to align them and straighten them. Then, you can carefully slide down that plastic housing over the pins in the header.

I just tested my PSU with the paper clip and it worked. I'm going to take my motherboard out and see if maybe I seated it wrong.

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Don't forget the CPU also needs power, through a 8 pin cpu cable (also called EPS)

I'm trying it outside of the case with the bare minimum. CPU fan, RAM, power button, power connectors, CPU. I'm hoping just a dead motherboard or mounted it wrong. I saw someone had the same problem with the wrong screws too.

Good news guys! It booted up properly. I believe my case was the problem or the way I mounted it.