Wanting to build a home NAS

shaneh890

I’m going to be using an old computer I’m getting for free and I wanted to recycle it in some way to limit the tech waste. I want to make a home NAS using freenas but didn’t know minimum specs needed. 

the computer is boosting a very powerful core 2 duo e4300 and 4 gigs of ram @800 (I believe it’s ddr3 but not positive). 

i would only be storing pictures and documents on it so no crazy large files or anything. 

I wouldn’t be apposed to putting in a better cpu or ram if it’s not too expensive 

Just now, shaneh890 said:

the computer is boosting a very powerful core 2 duo e4300 and 4 gigs of ram @800 (I believe it’s ddr3 but not positive)

I'd bet that it's DDR2. For that use case, you really don't need a powerful CPU, but some more RAM might speed things up.

Here is FreeNAS's guide

Do you need freenas? Id run another nas os, like ubuntu or open media vault. Frenas wants faster hardware than that, but that hardware would work fine as a nas.

What drive config do you plan to use

With that CPU and 8 gigs of RAM it would run fine, even though the website suggest more. 

Some of the more intensive features just wouldn't really work .

Honestly I always preferred running plain linux with no gui for tasks like this. Amount of configuration needed for simple home nas is minimal, it does not take much time and it has the advantage of not containing all the bloat (which is useless in most cases) freenas and alternatives include.

Going that way the hardware is more than enough for the job, just be sure to verify that everything is working, there are no memory errors and such. Having random data corruption is not fun.

For freenas specifically... I am not sure. It is below official specs and might be annoyingly slow. But again, only because of all the bloat.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:32 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need freenas? Id run another nas os, like ubuntu or open media vault. Frenas wants faster hardware than that, but that hardware would work fine as a nas.

What drive config do you plan to use

X2 go with open media vault the learning curve is short and for your use case its spot on

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410