The colors on my screen look faded and washed out

Mahmund

I'm on a windows 10 with an RTX 2070 gpu and everything was fine and looking normal until about three days ago, then suddenly when I launched battlefront II for the first time, the color on the screen became very faded. I decided to close the pc then as most issues usually fixed themselves with a restart and it was very much late at night so I decided that I was going to look into it tomorrow, but come the next day and the problem persists. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the screen itself or the HDMI cable, so I decided to uninstall my gpu driver, and it worked! Turns out that there really was nothing wrong with the screen, problem is, the color goes back to being washed out when I reinstall the drive. I decided to try to download an older version of the driver from back in December, but, no luck, same problem as before.

Tl;dr I launched battlefront II which may or may not be related to the fact that now every time I have the GPU driver installed the colors look washed out

could be a configuration issue with dlss or ray tracing maybe? or a setting in the game not syncing with windows settings? card overheating maybe under load? ... actually the overheating would be my first guess if you've already played with uninstalling and reinstalling driver. Then I'd look at it from a software side.

Try some color settings in Nvidia control panel, and make sure there isn't any HDR stuff enabled

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

set RGB color spectrum to full in nvcp. 

if it's already set to full try limited (tho in almost all cases it should be set to full) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

or DDU the drivers and that will get rid of any trace of the nvidia drivers and reintstall

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

or DDU the drivers and that will get rid of any trace of the nvidia drivers and reintstall

that's exactly what may cause it tho... every time I install NV drivers it sets RGB to limited... EVEN ON MY LAPTOP THAT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AN OPTION TO CHANGE IT BACK LOL ☠️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Check your cable.

I've got a 10 year old DVI/VGA 1080p panel, and it looks like crap. The DVI cable I've got is also around 10 years old. If I swap it with another DVI cable, it looks fine. I can't run it that way, though, because I need to use both, and the bad cable will have to be used on one monitor or the other (until my DP cable gets here, then I'll toss the bad cable).

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I am having the exact same issue, down to what game caused it, and I cannot figure out how to fix it. Opened battlefront 2 last night, it crashed then my monitor is washed out grey. I have a 3080 with a Ryzen 5 5600x. I've tried restarting, reinstalling and downgrading drivers, and unplugging both ends of the DisplayPort cable. I haven't tried a new cable yet but this cable is brand new given my card is only a few months old. Any additional fixes that this community could conjure would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I got exactly the same issue. Launching Battlefront 2, closing it, then noticing the desktop colors are way less vivid (washed out). The only way to restore full and vivid colors is to reboot Windows. 

I'm on Windows 10 Pro with a Nvidia 2070 SUPER, everything up to date. I have this issue since I got a brand new monitor (Xiaomi 34") last Christmas. I heard about HDR option in Windows, but there is no such option available as the screen in non-HDR. In Nvidia Control Panel, the display is set on 3440x1440@120Hz, fullrange colors (8 or 10 bits, I tried both).

A friend of mine has the same monitor on a Nvidia 3080. Same issue. And we both tried and switched DirectX11/12 and set HDR to OFF in Battlefront 2 settings menu.

Any idea or solution please ? Thanks !

• 1 year later...

SOLUTION FOUND

The problem is in display settings for windows. Go to your desktop, right click anywhere and hit "display settings". There should be an option for "use HDR" and it will be on. Turn it off.