halp

retr01ds

so i want to upgrade my graphics card for my acer Aspire e1-522 laptop but i don't know what to pick.

i plan on getting a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X due to my lack of proccessor power.

i have an AMD Radeon HD 8339 with 512 MB graphics system memory.

i know this may not entirely be relevant to the topic but how many GBs of ram is recommended?.

it's also from 2013.

it has 4 GB DDR3 L memory and 320 GB HDD

1 minute ago, Bartandroid123 said:

How would you plan to upgrade the cpu and the gpu in a laptop?

i would try to find a way and ask around

2 minutes ago, Bartandroid123 said:

How would you plan to upgrade the cpu and the gpu in a laptop?

not the first time i have carefully taken it apart

usualy in laptops the cpu is soldered and you cant just swap it out for something diffrent(same goes for the gpu)

Just now, Bartandroid123 said:

usualy in laptops the cpu is soldered and you cant just swap it out for something diffrent(same goes for the gpu)

so i probably will also have to replace motherboard?

Just now, retr01ds said:

so i probably will also have to replace motherboard?

thats the thing with laptops(even the older ones) you cant just swap the motherboard for some off the shelf part, everythung in laptops is made specificly to fit and work in that laptop and nothing else really. the only thing that you could propably upgrade is the ram and (maybe) storage but thats all.

Just now, boggy77 said:

you can't really upgrade cpus and gpus in laptops.

so i have to get an entirely new motherboard?

tbh it is cheaper for me to upgrade it rather than to buy a gaming laptop within the price range of 10k to 20k.

currency difference

thats the thing with laptops(even the older ones) you cant just swap the motherboard for some off the shelf part, everythung in laptops is made specificly to fit and work in that laptop and nothing else really. the only thing that you could propably upgrade is the ram and (maybe) storage but thats all.

so what you are saying it's better to spend around 10k to 20k on a gaming laptop?

instead of just getting new parts that cost less?

does anyone here know for certain that they may be able to help me?

No what im saying is that even if you bought these parts there would be no way for you to install them in your laptop

If you want upgradibility then the only sensible option is a stationary pc

5 minutes ago, retr01ds said:

so i have to get an entirely new motherboard?

no. you can't upgrade laptops. you'll have to buy a new laptop or build a pc.

No what im saying is that even if you bought these parts there would be no way for you to install them in your laptop

If you want upgradibility then the only sensible option is a stationary pc

i just want a portable gaming pc cuz i wanna play my games and work on it when i travel rather than being locked to a box that sits there and weighs quite a bit and is not even portable for planes and public transportation

Just now, retr01ds said:

i just want a portable gaming pc cuz i wanna play my games and work on it when i travel rather than being locked to a box that sits there and weighs quite a bit and is not even portable for planes and public transportation

you can buy a laptop with a minor graphics card in it and a okay cpu and play some smaller indie games while traveling and then have a beast at home.

and depending on how much and how long you're traveling usually you don't bring a desktop with you

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

you can buy a laptop with a minor graphics card in it and a okay cpu and play some smaller indie games while traveling and then have a beast at home.

and depending on how much and how long you're traveling usually you don't bring a desktop with you

i dont want a "beast" at home....to be honest stationary pcs are more of like a last solution to me.

i just want a powerful gaming laptop that i can run doom eternal on with all of the graphics settings to max while a butt ton of apps are up and running

Apart from a maybe select few (high-end, so expensive as well) units, laptops are not upgradable apart from maybe RAM and an SSD here or there. Buying a new motherboard essentially equals buying a new laptop anyway since pretty much everything is soldered on there nowadays. Even if you were to get a new motherboard:

• It likely won't fit your case, as it is not designed for your laptop
  • It won't have proper cooling for the new motherboard.
  • It will have different power requirements which your power brick might not be able to deal with
  • It may not have the right controller/connector for your current screen on it.

and other potential issues. Laptops just aren't designed for it. For a 2013 laptop it's a mircale it even performs well enough for you nowadays. Best option is to just buy a new one.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, retr01ds said:

i dont want a "beast" at home....to be honest stationary pcs are more of like a last solution to me.

i just want a powerful gaming laptop that i can run doom eternal on with all of the graphics settings to max while a butt ton of apps are up and running

you can easily do that, get a gaming laptop with good specs.

you also can't just buy a desktop gpu and expect to put it in a laptop with lesser cooling and get great performance, same with cpu.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Apart from a maybe select few (high-end, so expensive as well) units, laptops are not upgradable apart from maybe RAM and an SSD here or there. Buying a new motherboard essentially equals buying a new laptop anyway since pretty much everything is soldered on there nowadays. Even if you were to get a new motherboard:

• It likely won't fit your case, as it is not designed for your laptop
  • It won't have proper cooling for the new motherboard.
  • It will have different power requirements which your power brick might not be able to deal with
  • It may not have the right controller/connector for your current screen on it.

and other potential issues. Laptops just aren't designed for it. For a 2013 laptop it's a mircale it even performs well enough for you nowadays. Best option is to just buy a new one.

i can run garry's mod at like..what looks like 60? i think? i mean it has a 1.5GHZ processor

1 minute ago, retr01ds said:

i can run garry's mod at like..what looks like 60? i think? i mean it has a 1.5GHZ processor

60 what? fps? and how much stuff have you got loaded in on the map and what settings are you on?

even way your original goal is not possible.

so you either you get an expensive gaminig laptop (make a new thread if you want suggestions as to which laptop to get)

or you just can't play on your pc while on the train/plane/subway/metro/bus whatever transportation method you use.

also wouldn't suggest using gaming laptops on public transport in general as fans have a tendency to be noisy to other people

8 minutes ago, retr01ds said:

Then it's a high-ish end gaming laptop you're after.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, retr01ds said:

Which is a 2006 game that runs on a potato and nowadays we have ~4 GHz processors plus much improved architecture especially on mobile platforms that'll blow that 2013 laptop out of the water. Doom Eternal is a completely different beast compared to Garry's mod. Your current laptop will not hold up at all in modern games and you are looking for a high end gaming laptop, which unfortunately just are expensive by their nature.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

To add, a high end gaming laptop will be heavy, so hard to carry, and will often come with a big power adapter that you'd also have to carry because the battery will probably last 2-3 hours writing and watching youtube, but maybe only less than half an hour in games like Doom Eternal. 

So it would still be very annoying. 

You can get a decent laptop with a dedicated video card that will play doom eternal at low-medium quality at decent fps and not break your back. 

Like everyone said, with your current laptop the best you can hope is to upgrade storage and ram. Processors and video cards are most of the time soldered onto the motherboard, they can't be replaced. The motherboard also has a custom shape, and the connectors inside are not standardized from manufacturer to manufacturer...  so you can't install another motherboard because it wouldn't fit, and you couldn't connect the battery and the boards with usb connectors and (if any) card reader and other things to the motherboard.

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

To add, a high end gaming laptop will be heavy, so hard to carry, and will often come with a big power adapter that you'd also have to carry because the battery will probably last 2-3 hours writing and watching youtube, but maybe only less than half an hour in games like Doom Eternal. 

So it would still be very annoying. 

You can get a decent laptop with a dedicated video card that will play doom eternal at low-medium quality at decent fps and not break your back. 

Like everyone said, with your current laptop the best you can hope is to upgrade storage and ram. Processors and video cards are most of the time soldered onto the motherboard, they can't be replaced. The motherboard also has a custom shape, and the connectors inside are not standardized from manufacturer to manufacturer...  so you can't install another motherboard because it wouldn't fit, and you couldn't connect the battery and the boards with usb connectors and (if any) card reader and other things to the motherboard.

my processor does not seem to be soldered on

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Then it's a high-ish end gaming laptop you're after.

i just want some help man...originally this post was just me asking for help to see what could be upgraded. i do not want a stationary pc.....and i will not get one until i have money for it and interest for it. i just want....a beast of a gaming laptop