What Does HDR Content on Non-HDR Displays Looks Like In Real Life

SQre
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Like normal. Because hdr is backed into the video files data and is just there to tell the display what portions should be how bright or dark. If it cannot do that it will just play the file like normal and it will just look like a regular video without the extra highlighted or darkened parts.

It's why you basically just edit your video like normal and then do the hdr afterwards so you don't end up with a terrible result on non hdr displays

I was thinking about changing my monitor into an HDR one because i want to edit and make HDR content, but because there's not that many people using HDR (atleast in my country) i started searching about what HDR content looks like on an SDR display and find no articles about it, so i looked up HDR videos on YouTube to see if it's bad or not but turns out YouTube has an automated HDR to SDR conversion that uses HLG.

Does anyone have a comparison picture that's not from a promo video/photo?

Like normal. Because hdr is backed into the video files data and is just there to tell the display what portions should be how bright or dark. If it cannot do that it will just play the file like normal and it will just look like a regular video without the extra highlighted or darkened parts.

It's why you basically just edit your video like normal and then do the hdr afterwards so you don't end up with a terrible result on non hdr displays

I doubt there would be any difference. All that HDR adds is additional precision (range) for the gamma curve, so the conversion is mapping the HDR range to the clamped SDR range. Nothing else.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

8 hours ago, SQre said:

I was thinking about changing my monitor into an HDR one because i want to edit and make HDR content, but because there's not that many people using HDR (atleast in my country) i started searching about what HDR content looks like on an SDR display and find no articles about it, so i looked up HDR videos on YouTube to see if it's bad or not but turns out YouTube has an automated HDR to SDR conversion that uses HLG.

Does anyone have a comparison picture that's not from a promo video/photo?

if you play a video that is encoded into hdr and manage to get your video player to play back that video in hdr mode, on a non-hdr capable display the colors will look washed out and pale

the consumer displays that claim to support hdr should not be used for producing hdr contentr.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects