High End PC not working as expected

picky33

I have a fairly high end PC, that doesn't seem to be working correctly. I suspect it may be one of a number of potential issues but I'm not sure what it an issue and what's me being over-worried. I will try to get the ramblings to a minimum. At the start of the Pandemic i was running a AMD Ryzen 3600 and an AMD RX 580 GPU, since then I've been slowly upgrading.

My Current Setup.

I mainly play Rainbow Six Siege and I've been noticing that my FPS is pretty low compared to when I first put the system together. I recently upgraded to a Gen4 NVMe drive and I did a fresh install of windows when I used R6 internal benchmarks I was hitting 454 FPS and now I'm doing 250 FPS (see attached before/current pics). i've been checking for updates on MB,GPU,NVIDIA,AMD,etc.

I suspected it had originally something to do with my power supply so I upgraded from a EVGA 750W to EVGA 1000W because my computer was shutting down from what I assumed was OCP (Over Current Protection). because my new 3090 was drawing too much power. that seemed to fix the random problems of my computer crashing but not the loss of performance over time. I next upgraded my CPU from a 3600 to a 5950x and upgraded my CPU cooler. (Note all the upgrades happened with weeks of another)

So I started investigating, First place I checked was my graphics card. Using HWiNFO i scrolled down to GPU and I looked at the performance limits and noticed Utilization was "Yes" i determined that was a Active High bit (When playing games it goes No), I also noticed "Reliability Voltage" was popping Yes and "Power" was also yes. so i started looking at my voltages and i noticed some of my +12Volts voltages were dipping below 12Volts. (see attached CSV) with mins to MB 11.884 Volts, GPU PCIe +12V going as low as 11.9V same as 2 8pin connectors.

I hooked up a Kill-A-Watt after my computer keep restarting on me before so I wanted to see what the actual Power Draw was, so I never go over 530W even when running with benchmarks. I noticed that the meter is shows my power at 116.4 Volts underload. I live in an old apartment building so i can't control the wiring in the house. I could get an UPS or AVR if that was the problem but I'm not 100% sure that's the problem. I've already moved the PC from a power strip with all my PC gear on it to it's own dedicated plug (same outlet though, i don't have many).

even after playing games for several hours my temps never get over 60 Celsius, but HWiNFO was reporting thermal performance limit hit, so I don't think its a thermal problem. The other train of thought of what my problem could be is my graphics card is defective. I've had a bunch of minor problems that feel like they are starting to compound, such as no longer being able to control the RGB or screen. so I thought maybe these aren't software/firmware issues but part a defective design. Aorus website talks about my GPU being a rev1.0 gpu and I swear I've seen a 3090 Master rev 2.0 with 3 8-pin input but it's no longer on there website for a 3090.

by then end of a 6 hour gaming session i was doing around 150+ FPS in game. it's really frustrating. I'm also afraid to RMA the GPU because of the current shortage of GPU's I'm afraid how long it's going to take to return to me.

Any help is appreciated, if you more info, let me know and I'll try and supply it

Before.PNG

Current.PNG

HWinfoGPU.PNG

Siege Bench.CSV

There is a lot of variables in play on this and is tough to diagnose imo.  The only constant here is Rainbow 6, is there another way to test your system to rule out the game being the culprit here? 

There are several recent bios updates for your board,  that may be something you want to try.

Are you running with PBO enabled on your bios?  That will help with keeping a higher FPS.

2 minutes ago, CADGuy23 said:

There is a lot of variables in play on this and is tough to diagnose imo.  The only constant here is Rainbow 6, is there another way to test your system to rule out the game being the culprit here? 

There are several recent bios updates for your board,  that may be something you want to try.

Are you running with PBO enabled on your bios?  That will help with keeping a higher FPS.

i'm all ears, for trying other software for testing purposes. I've ran some fur mark benchmarks at 2K and they seem to be all over the place, sometimes my avg FPS is 190's and other times it's 215. 

my bios according to Asus Armory Crate Software is up to date. I last updated it via the bios, when i installed my 5000 series CPU around Christmas. the 5950x is stock i haven't toyed with any sort of OC yet.

fairly high end

runs the best possible set up on the planet

A couple quick questions/ideas here. When you went from the AMD gpu to Nvidia, did you reboot in safe mode and use DDU?

Have you done a fresh install of windows at any point in all this? With all the new hardware, you might just be better off formatting drives and starting with a clean install.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?