Newly Built Gaming PC acting weird/problematic. :c

lexis

So my girlfriend recently built her pc and at first it wouldn't boot up. Ive built a few PCs before so i picked it up and double checked everything, and later on i was able to make it boot up! Now heres when it starts being weird. I dropped it off and she downloaded windows and her drivers for her mobo cpu and gpu. Later on the screen would go black whenever you’d open/ close an application (e.g. windows file explorer, google chrome, etc). With a simple restart, no black screens occurred until 30 mins of runtime. So she restarted again and it kept on happening, the runtime of the pc varying from 30 mins to an hour. Now she restarted her pc and after an hour or so her gpu completely shut off, but when she booted up her pc it was on and running again. Lastly her pc completely shut off after two hours of runtime. Same thing when she booted it up again it was working completely fine. All she was doing was downloading programs for school and games. Ive never encountered anything strange and annoying with a PC like this 😞

Specs=

Mobo: GIGABYTE B450m DS3H

Gpu: GIGABYTE Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB

Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 

PSU: EVGA 600 BR 80+

Storage:

WD BLUE 500gb ssd

Seagate barracuda 1tb hdd

3 minutes ago, lexis said:

So my girlfriend recently built her pc and at first it wouldn't boot up. Ive built a few PCs before so i picked it up and double checked everything, and later on i was able to make it boot up! Now heres when it starts being weird. I dropped it off and she downloaded windows and her drivers for her mobo cpu and gpu. Later on the screen would go black whenever you’d open/ close an application (e.g. windows file explorer, google chrome, etc). With a simple restart, no black screens occurred until 30 mins of runtime. So she restarted again and it kept on happening, the runtime of the pc varying from 30 mins to an hour. Now she restarted her pc and after an hour or so her gpu completely shut off, but when she booted up her pc it was on and running again. Lastly her pc completely shut off after two hours of runtime. Same thing when she booted it up again it was working completely fine. All she was doing was downloading programs for school and games. Ive never encountered anything strange and annoying with a PC like this 😞

Specs=

Mobo: GIGABYTE B450m DS3H

Gpu: GIGABYTE Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB

Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 

PSU: EVGA 600 BR 80+

Storage:

WD BLUE 500gb ssd

Seagate barracuda 1tb hdd

check psu and cables. Also, try new storage device

Might not hurt to reinstall windows seeing that it's fairly fresh.

Sounds like an issue with windows/drivers so I'd be starting there

Run DDU and install an older version of gpu drivers

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Those symptoms most likely indicate a software issue.

As post above suggest, fresh windows install is probably the way to go. Random failures like that might go away with full and proper driver (re)install; but fresh OS install will cover everything.

Some of the details are a bit ambiguous but to me it sounds some installations were either incomplete or with wrong drivers completely.

---

If issues persist after reinstall, check your hw connections... something might be loose* or actual drive is faulty (here the event view viewer might show appropriate error).

Good luck

edit: lose to loose*