Thinking about making a DIY flash stick

I was just searching for the biggest USB flash stick around and it led me to Corsairs range of USB flash sticks.

In particular, two products caught my eye: a military-grade rugged waterproof stick and an ultra-fast one that can achieve up to 440 MB/s read and write speeds and a capacity of up to 1TB.

Corsair Flash Survivor Stealth

Corsair Flash Voyager GTX

I'm kind of a perfectionist and would love to have the best of both worlds - a rugged, waterproof stick I can take out with me on my travels that is also super fast. I have taken apart an old SSD and HDD as well as my old laptop to clean and replace the thermal paste so I figured it must be possible to take apart those two USB drives so I can place the super-fast stick into the other ones rugged chassis.

But that leaves me with one question. If I can pull that off, will my new drive be able to retain its waterproofing. Is there a way I can make sure of that or am I definitely going to ruin it?

Alternatively you could just place your USB stick in a shock-/water-resistant case and it should be "good enough" for pretty much all uses cases and probably more durable than the rugged stick on its own.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I wouldn't mess with the tiny parts, what did you take the HDD apart for?

If size is not a problem you can just carry and external SSD around, it will for sure outperform USB sticks...

At some point the rugged USB stick gets so long and heavy, you need to worry about port you plug it into...

37 minutes ago, Shutset said:

I figured it must be possible to take apart those two USB drives so I can place the super-fast stick into the other ones rugged chassis.

The fast one is obviously wider than the rugged one (likely becasue it's just a 2242 m.2 SSD in an enclosure), so it almost certainly won't fit.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2