Mounting direction for NH-U12S?

bdk74

Will be replacing my stock for 3600.

Question on the exhaust direction for NH. My rear fan is running at 750RPM where my upper (ceiling) fan is at 940RPM.

Do you think it matters which direction to mount the NH?

doesn't really matter the orientation, both fans are moving air and it also doesn't matter how fast they spin, just how much air they move at that RPM.

Typically you'll see exhausting out the back of the case as the mounting hardware defaults in that position (not many socket mounts are square). Also depends on RAM and mosfet cooler clearance, depending on how your motherboard's cooling and other components are positioned mounting the cooler towards the top of the case isn't possible. 

forced airflow will overcome convection so ignore anyone who says mount it exhaust up to use convection to assist, they're misinformed and have never learned thermodynamics. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Check clearances, and that if you mount vertically the GPU backplate isn't completely obstructing the CPU fan intake. My D14 entirely covers the top PCIe slot if I mount it vertically 😛

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Fans should point where your exhausts are. In term of temps, my own testing shows that fan pointing towards top exhausts gives like 1-2C better temps. Also having fan push vs pull doesn't matter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have it blowing through the heatsink towards the back of the case, and on the back of my case like most people I have an exhaust style fan.

Temps with the NHU12S are very impressive.

This is how I have mine, it's from google but the same as mine...

psu.jpg

On 1/17/2021 at 8:27 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Also having fan push vs pull doesn't matter.

I disagree. You will get better efficiency when air is pushing through the heatsink.

I need to say that this is the first time I've purchased NH and I must say I'm blown away.

With stock I was reaching 81+ C when in use vs 61+ C with NH. I'm literally seeing 20+ C difference.

I think NH just got a new customer for life!

Thanks for all the comments again. I went with same setup as @venomx

4 hours ago, bdk74 said:

I disagree. You will get better efficiency when air is pushing through the heatsink.

Well, that's easy to test if you like actual practical evidence. I have my own testing, plus Linus and other reviewers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Well, that's easy to test if you like actual practical evidence. I have my own testing, plus Linus and other reviewers.

Please share kb for this analysis. Probably it also depends on your case and overall setup but when looking at the conventional setup where you have front ingress cold air where cpu fan is able to grab that air and push through the heatsink allowing better efficiency on cooling down the spread. Could be the case the difference is minimal but wish to see the analysis for that.