I have a few questions about setting up a triple boot system.

trainergames

Do i need to install a bootloader if i am installing each OS on different drives while trying to setup a triple boot?
If so which one would you suggest?

Also what order should i install the OS's in?

If it helps it will be:

Windows 10 Pro on a 1TB HDD

Mac OSX High Serria on a 500GB HDD

Unbuntu Studio on a 250GB HDD

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

Windows 10 doesn't really play nice with multi-boot. You will need GRUB and it will be consistently overwritten by the Windows boot manager breaking everything rather frequently due to updates. 

You're much better off using those drives as portable linux installations and hitting the boot option hotkey during post when you need to use one.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

you will need a boot loader, just install Ubuntu last and it will install one called grub on its disk, then boot to that disk.

Old version:

no that will work fine, windows only overwrites grub on its own disk, just keep grub on the Linux disk, the widows boot loader will be on the widows disk.

There's a few options here

1) (My recommendation) Connect only HDD 1, install Windows, unplug HDD 1. Connect only HDD 2, install macOS, unplug HDD 2. Connect only HDD3, install Linux. Finally connect all 3 drives and use your boards built in Boot Override Menu to choose the drive you want to boot from. This is nice and safe as it keeps all 3 OSes isolated and by doing it this way installation order doesn't matter since each OS will have its own bootloader on its own HDD. Edit - Also you can always add Windows & macOS to GRUB after the fact and have all 3 listed in GRUB.

2) You leave all 3 drives plugged in, you install Windows, then Linux, then macOS without unplugging any of the drives allowing GRUB & OpenCore to detect your other OSes and add them to their respective boot menus. This is VERY risky, what's likely to happen is GRUB will detect Windows then install itself into the existing boot partition on your Windows drive meaning that if anything happened to the boot sector of your Windows drive it would take your Linux install with it.

The important thing to remember is, if you're leaving multiple drives connected ALWAYS install Windows first since Windows boot manager won't detect any other OS except Windows where as both GRUB & OpenCore are perfectly capable of booting Windows. Once Windows is installed the order you choose to do macOS & Linux in is inconsequential.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

There's a few options here

1) (My recommendation) Connect only HDD 1, install Windows, unplug HDD 1. Connect only HDD 2, install macOS, unplug HDD 2. Connect HDD3, install Linux. Finally connect all 3 drives and use your boards built in Boot Override Menu to choose the drive you want to boot from. This is nice and safe as it keeps all 3 OSes isolated and by doing it this way installation order doesn't matter.

2) You leave all 3 drives plugged in, you install Windows, then Linux, then macOS without unplugging any of the drives allowing GRUB & OpenCore to detect your other OSes and add them to their respective boot menus. This is VERY risky, what's likely to happen is GRUB will detect Windows then install itself into the existing boot partition on your Windows drive meaning that if anything happened to the boot sector of your Windows drive it would take your Linux install with it.

The important thing to remember is ALWAYS install Windows first since Windows boot manager won't detect any other OS except Windows where as both GRUB & OpenCore are perfectly capable of booting Windows. Once Windows is installed the order you choose to do macOS & Linux in is inconsequential.

Thank you very much for this.

This is now on a sticky note on my desktop because I have this problem a lot.

elephants