Charging Power questions.

Crumble85

Hey guys,

I've got a question that's plagued me since fast charging was knocking around. 

How fast can I charge my phone outside of using the manufacturers charger. 

Example - I currently have a One Plus 8 which uses the 30W warp charger. Now I'm aware you can only get warp charging specs with the warp charger. 

But for whatever reason I want to get a 3rd party charger, a decent one - how fast will is be able to charge my OP8. 

How can I find out what the NON-warp charge specifications are?

Would a 20W charger from Aukey for example give me 20W because the max the phone can draw is 30W?

Anyways I hope that question is clear. Would love to know what the best and fastest 3rd party charger is to get. No point paying for a higher wattage if the phone can't take it. 

Crumble. 

You'll basically have to test it or find a review that tests that sorta stuff.

I found one in German about the OnePlus 8 Pro. I assume it's the same for the Pro aswell as the non-pro version.

With USB PD it reaches up to 13.86w.

Ladestandards Oneplus 8 Pro

https://techtest.org/wie-schnell-laedt-das-oneplus-8-pro-und-welche-ladestandards-werden-unterstuetzt/

Edit:

I just found this app, that seems to give you at least a good idea of your current charging speed:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere

18 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I found one in German about the OnePlus 8 Pro. I assume it's the same for the Pro aswell as the non-pro version

As someone who has the OnePlus 8 Pro: yes, that chart is accurate. The phone charges oh-so-slowly from regular and QC3.0 chargers, it's rather annoying.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Usually if you're not using the original charger you get around 10W and that's it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the chart and the replies. 

@Kilraha lot of phones seem to default to 10W. Is that designed on purpose?

I wonder why if they can do 30w and are usb-c PD why a 20w charger wouldn't give them 20w?!

14 minutes ago, Crumble85 said:

@Kilraha lot of phones seem to default to 10W. Is that designed on purpose?

It's just the basic 5V/2A that basically any charger is able to supply.

14 minutes ago, Crumble85 said:

and are usb-c PD

That's the point, they aren't, they're using their own proprietary sauce for no good reason other than probably to make you buy their spare chargers...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2