Confusion with buying Router/Modem combo

BoxTurtle
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
3 minutes ago, turtlecraft said:

is it also says that is it WiFi AC1900 and it delievers up to 1900mbps

That is the max wifi speed, basically will never happen, and all the bands are combined, expect about 500mbit max on wifi

it supports plans up to 400mps

That is likely the limit of the modem, you don't want this for a gigabit plan.

Id really suggest getting a seperate modem and router, nice to be able to upgrade them separately. 

I am going to be upgrading my internet to gigabit and I am looking for a good router/modem combo to buy and I found the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000. I am really confused because in the description it says it supports plans up to 400mps but the thing is it also says that is it WiFi AC1900 and it delievers up to 1900mbps of wirelss speed. This makes literly no sense. Other routers say the same thing where is may support up to 600mps plans but it is AC1900. Is it just that it is certified to this speed because a found a motorola router that is AC1900 but i tsays that this product is certified for speeds up to 600mps. What I am trying to figure out if this NETGEAR router will actually be able to go up to gigabit speeds and work for my plan. 

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

is it also says that is it WiFi AC1900 and it delievers up to 1900mbps

That is the max wifi speed, basically will never happen, and all the bands are combined, expect about 500mbit max on wifi

it supports plans up to 400mps

That is likely the limit of the modem, you don't want this for a gigabit plan.

Id really suggest getting a seperate modem and router, nice to be able to upgrade them separately. 

1 hour ago, turtlecraft said:

I am going to be upgrading my internet to gigabit and I am looking for a good router/modem combo to buy and I found the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000. I am really confused because in the description it says it supports plans up to 400mps but the thing is it also says that is it WiFi AC1900 and it delievers up to 1900mbps of wirelss speed. This makes literly no sense. Other routers say the same thing where is may support up to 600mps plans but it is AC1900. Is it just that it is certified to this speed because a found a motorola router that is AC1900 but i tsays that this product is certified for speeds up to 600mps. What I am trying to figure out if this NETGEAR router will actually be able to go up to gigabit speeds and work for my plan. 

You see that thing that says Docsis 3.0? Well that’s the standard the modem follows. You need a Docsis 3.1 modem for gigabit thru your cable provider. Also depending on your provider they might have a list of supported modems. 

Also don’t buy combo devices they suck. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.