I can't watch any videos in my browser at 1080p when it is selected at 1080p

MrMike_53

I can't watch any videos in my browser at 1080p when it is selected at 1080p. This goes for YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, and other websites. This is my pc's specs-  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9TQpF8. I have all of my drivers up to date, my bios version is (Version 1605 2020/08/11). I have talked with my internet provider and they said that it isn't on their end and they don't control the quality, just the connection. All help is appreciated. (I have tried other browsers)

7 minutes ago, MrMike_53 said:

I can't watch any videos in my browser at 1080p when it is selected at 1080p

Have you tried the most obvious thing, ie. another browser?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Have you tried the most obvious thing, ie. another browser?

Yes

Welcome to the forums!!!

Your PC part picker link is broken, stating "Page Not Found". Have you tried resetting your router and modem? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Your PC part picker link is broken, stating "Page Not Found". Have you tried resetting your router and modem? 

Yes I have restarted it multiple times and the internet provider hard reset it through their end, I got my pc 12 months ago and it has been like this ever since. I can watch videos at 1080p on my phone. Try copy and pasting the link into the url instead of clicking on it

6 minutes ago, MrMike_53 said:

Yes I have restarted it multiple times and the internet provider hard reset it through their end, I got my pc 12 months ago and it has been like this ever since. I can watch videos at 1080p on my phone. Try copy and pasting the link into the url instead of clicking on it

Got the link to work, didn't realize its including the period at the end causing the issue. 

Have you tried clearing CMOS? I would try to reset the network settings in Windows to rule out Windows not causing the issue. What CAT cable are you running? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

23 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Got the link to work, didn't realize its including the period at the end causing the issue. 

Have you tried clearing CMOS? I would try to reset the network settings in Windows to rule out Windows not causing the issue. What CAT cable are you running? 

I have a cat 5 cable and I get 1gbs speed when I check the connection through control panel and get 700 download and 40 upload.

2 minutes ago, MrMike_53 said:

I have a cat 5 cable and I get 1gbs speed when I check the connection through control panel and get 700 download and 40 upload.

Oh wow that's pretty fast. Are you sure its not CAT 5e? CAT 5 is pretty old and was replaced by CAT 5e, then onto 6. I would still try to reset your network setting in Windows. Check in your YT settings for anything related to speed/quality of the video. 

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Oh wow that's pretty fast. Are you sure its not CAT 5e? CAT 5 is pretty old and was replaced by CAT 5e, then onto 6. I would still try to reset your network setting in Windows. Check in your YT settings for anything related to speed/quality of the video. 

I have reset networks settings and still hasn't worked

8 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I don't know how to tell what type of cat 5 it is but it came with the router I got a year ago

Okay, this is going to sound like a stupid question, but...

How are you able to determine if a video is playing at 1080p or not? Is it not selecting in the YouTube menu, or...?

54 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

I fixed the malformed link for the OP. Needless to say, the system is within spec for 1080p video decoding and playback lol

1 minute ago, barkydoggo said:

Okay, this is going to sound like a stupid question, but...

How are you able to determine if a video is playing at 1080p or not? Is it not selecting in the YouTube menu, or...?

The settings cog in the bottom of the video, when I select 1080p it isn't displaying 1080p even though I have it selected, it looks like 720p.

3 minutes ago, MrMike_53 said:

The settings cog in the bottom of the video, when I select 1080p it isn't displaying 1080p even though I have it selected, it looks like 720p.

Do you have any addons enabled in your browser that could be causing this issue? Maybe a user agent switcher? Try incognito/private browsing mode with no addons. Is your browser maximized? I've seen some weird stuff, even video drivers that cause behavior like this.

EDIT: also, please go to fast.com and do a speedtest and let us know those results if you can!

Edited by barkydoggo
added speedtest into

3 minutes ago, barkydoggo said:

Do you have any addons enabled in your browser that could be causing this issue? Maybe a user agent switcher? Try incognito/private browsing mode with no addons. Is your browser maximized? I've seen some weird stuff, even video drivers that cause behavior like this.

EDIT: also, please go to fast.com and do a speedtest and let us know those results if you can!

I do not have any drivers or addons besides honey and Grammarly. The speed test was 210mbps 

1 minute ago, MrMike_53 said:

I do not have any drivers or addons besides honey and Grammarly. The speed test was 210mbps 

This may be barking up the wrong tree, but could you do a quick wipe and reinstall of your GPU drivers? I want to 100% verify that isn't the issue.

Can you also like 100% confirm your display is actually set to 1920x1080? I know this is basic stuff but it never hurts to check first before diving too far into it

2 minutes ago, barkydoggo said:

This may be barking up the wrong tree, but could you do a quick wipe and reinstall of your GPU drivers? I want to 100% verify that isn't the issue.

Can you also like 100% confirm your display is actually set to 1920x1080? I know this is basic stuff but it never hurts to check first before diving too far into it

Yes my display is set to 1080p

I'm not to confident in wiping my drivers and reinstalling them, i update my drivers through geforce experience

4 hours ago, MrMike_53 said:

I don't know how to tell what type of cat 5 it is but it came with the router I got a year ago

Ok, most likely a CAT 5e especially with the speeds you're getting. Try out this guide for resetting your network and read through it before attempting. https://www.howtogeek.com/265870/how-to-reset-your-entire-network-in-windows-10-and-start-from-scratch/