NAS vs Server for Remote Access

Laaub

Currently working remotely due to Covid and my office is exploring new options for file storage. Our old solution is a server that we share with our parent company but they want us off of it as our project files (Revit and ACAD) are getting quite large. They purchased a NAS for us to use and I noticed a huge performance drop in accessing files from the NAS over my remote connection as compared to the Server. The network "card" of the NAS is rated as faster and in office the performance of the NAS is equal to or faster than the server, however remotely the NAS lags behind significantly. IT is convinced that the issue is my home internet, even though all my testing is done from home. Both the server and NAS are on the same network.

If there is any advice or things to look into that I could pass along to IT I would appreciate it greatly. I am quite computer literate, but server and network stuff is far outside my sphere of knowledge.

ID probalby just go to a cloud solution like O365 or simmilar. Fast, reliable, failry seucre.

But NAS and Server don't really ell you much here, you won't get more details with more testing. Do you have model numbers?

What speeds are your home internet? What speeds do you see?

I agree with the cloud option above. Also security settings and protocols used can also

play a role. I have a QNAP and uploading files over the internet a pain. I get 15mbps speeds uploading over https or I get 500mbps via FTP. My home router’s built in firewall and the https encryption even ftp encryption all play into the speed as well. So without knowing stuff like model, settings, of even how it’s being accessed it’s hard to really provide any help.

The NAS might be on the same network, but there's a lot going on.  Are you connecting through your company vpn?  

If you have a network team, they need to look at routing/firewall settings. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD