Newly bought SATA SSD recognized only by Windows

Frandesktop

At first I thought I got a DOA SSD (Samsung 860 EVO SATA3) because I tried to plug it to a HDD caddy to transfer files. It would not be recognized by Windows 10

Then I connected it to a PC with SATA cable, installed Windows 10 on it, and now it is recognized by Windows 10 when using the caddy

I just wonder if that's a normal behaviour? Why did it happen? What kind of file system did the SSD arrive with?

1 minute ago, Frandesktop said:

At first I thought I got a DOA SSD (Samsung 860 EVO SATA3) because I tried to plug it to a HDD caddy to transfer files. It would not be recognized by Windows 10

Then I connected it to a PC with SATA cable, installed Windows 10 on it, and now it is recognized by Windows 10 when using the caddy

I just wonder if that's a normal behaviour? Why did it happen? What kind of file system did the SSD arrive with?

New SSDs usually do not come with any file system, as they aren't initialized. I don't know if this is normal behavior, but if it works now, it works.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

I just wonder if it is somehow damaged because only a BIOS would recognize it? I mean if I needed to use it as storage? It would not work, perhaps it's somehow corrupted, yet managed to install Windows? Wish I could test it

wonder if I should return it