Water dripped from ceiling into socket - what luck

I had taken my motherboard out of my pc and the 5600x out of the socket so that I could test my brothers new parts when going home for the holidays. I placed the motherboard on a shelf so that my roommates cat couldn't step on it and upon returning found that a crack in the ceiling had been dripping water slowly but steadily on the motherboard.

Seeing as there are mineral deposits in the socket itself, as well as some rusting around other parts of the board, what do y'all think are my chances I can clean it and get it working?

IMG_20210109_173812.thumb.jpg.21eac18a8ea1a921c0a0369e24a6731b.jpg

IMG_20210109_173639.jpg

Get that CR2032 out of there first off - looks like it is now leaking. Then I would spray a ton of contact cleaner on it - let it evaporate and see what happens when you look it up. Get the roof fixed too, that would be my first priority.

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

A good IPA bath would be my first priority after you do what @A1200 and throw that battery away. Its hard to tell from the photo but it basically comes down to whats rust from the board, and what's mineral build-up from the leak. Good luck man 

Oh geez. Definitely start by pulling out the CMOS battery, then go ham (gently) with a q-tip and some 99% isopropyl alcohol everywhere that there's corrosion. The CPU socket is gonna be tricky, because the water has probably corroded the contacts inside the holes. Lightly scraping with a toothpick or needle might help. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Before I clean and test anything I'm going to try and see if I can make a purchase security damage claim through my visa. It's been less than 90 days since I purchased the board, and I cant seem to find anything in the coverage terms that excludes my case, but we'll see.

Big update - I had purchased with debit so purchase protection isn't a thing. Decided to try the cleaning approach and managed to clean most of the mineral deposits off top of socket as well as the rust around the m.2 slot and deposits around small caps and resistors.I couldn't clean off all the mineral deposits on the pcb itself so the board doesn't look the cleanest, but by miracle I did get it to boot and have had it running it for about an hour with no issues 🤞

IMG_20210110_175018.jpg

9 hours ago, lokilowkey said:

Big update - I had purchased with debit so purchase protection isn't a thing. Decided to try the cleaning approach and managed to clean most of the mineral deposits off top of socket as well as the rust around the m.2 slot and deposits around small caps and resistors.I couldn't clean off all the mineral deposits on the pcb itself so the board doesn't look the cleanest, but by miracle I did get it to boot and have had it running it for about an hour with no issues 🤞

IMG_20210110_175018.jpg

You know you used up your luck allowance of this month now right? :p. Most of the time non powered electronics that get soaked keep working but due to the battery leaking I had assumed something went wrong but didn't comment because others already said what I would have. So good on you lucking out like this.