prime 95 base 9900k

Running thru a bunch of steps to troubleshoot some specific games crashing, found this during prime 95.  thoughts?

Core 6/7 utilization drops significantly ?

15min.thumb.PNG.5b92f0eb0860f4c958262fac550f7beb.PNG

Keep trying to sign this stupid screen but it wont work...

Try checking to see if Prime95 is giving errors when running the test. It might also be worth checking the thermal paste application, to see if maybe it is slightly thermal throttling. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Try checking to see if Prime95 is giving errors when running the test. It might also be worth checking the thermal paste application, to see if maybe it is slightly thermal throttling. 

If I understand it correctly so far no error, everything says PASS on it ; additionally the temps haven't gone up according to HW monitor. wouldnt that show it? 

The clocks are the same on the cores, but the utilization is different. I am in a bit above my head I think.

also does this mean anything that its set for i3/i5/i7 ?? whats that about?

corecount.PNG

I get what you're saying, it is pretty darn weird. It could be possible that Windows thinks its a power virus, and that's what the issue is. Maybe try Aida64 and see if you get the same issue, or run Cinebench looped?

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I get what you're saying, it is pretty darn weird. It could be possible that Windows thinks its a power virus, and that's what the issue is. Maybe try Aida64 and see if you get the same issue, or run Cinebench looped?

Possibly, I'll have to try a newer test. Maybe it just can't load this? I don't see any heat, haven't got the fans kicking up. synthetics suck.

results found errors on worker 10 and 7

worker #10.PNG

worker#7.PNG

Currently in process of memtest86 wake me in 2022 ha. 

OK so I have an update... Lots of failures found here. Not sure how to interpret it just yet.   Also I think I've some how managed to end up in  2 posts about the same issue and I apologize so if a mod /admin could link or merge? Idk. Sorry. 

This is the link https://linustechtips.com/topic/1291224-is-this-normal/

16101593434485336775498297514258.jpg

Replying to myself again, update reinstalling aprx 200gb file size (cod mw) on to ssd E
MEMTEST86 results show failures, unsure of what
Disabled XMP and ram now running at 2133

download is not being throttled at what previously looked like an ssd issue.

i feel stupid.

noxmp update.PNG

4 minutes ago, Nbd508 said:

Replying to myself again,

update reinstalling aprx 200gb file size (cod mw) on to ssd E
MEMTEST86 results show failures, unsure of what
Disabled XMP and ram now running at 2133

download is not being throttled at what previously looked like an ssd issue.

i feel stupid.

Yes hi.

What's the part number of the memory so I can get an idea of what memory you have exactly, or open Cpu-z and take a screen shot of SPD tab of one of the sticks.

Does Memtest pass at defaults will be my second question.

Hey thanks!

It's gskill 3200mhz that was running in xmp enabled .  Not sure what you mean memtest at defaults? Do you mean at xmp off ?   I didn't preconfig a custom test for memtest I just ran it.

I will do another one overnight on this without xmp enabled.  I suppose its possible that I now have 1 or multiple RAM sticks that aren't stable at their (naitve?) 3200mhz which is a bummer and I assume hard to narrow down.

ramc.PNG

2 minutes ago, Nbd508 said:

Hey thanks!

It's gskill 3200mhz that was running in xmp enabled .  Not sure what you mean memtest at defaults? Do you mean at xmp off ?   I didn't preconfig a custom test for memtest I just ran it.

I will do another one overnight on this without xmp enabled.  I suppose its possible that I now have 1 or multiple RAM sticks that aren't stable at their (naitve?) 3200mhz which is a bummer and I assume hard to narrow down.

ramc.PNG

Thank you for that. 

Might be faulty, or might just need some user to bios settings intervention. 

You can run OCCT in windows for short bursts. Fill the memory, I usually test 12GB for 16GB total and 28GB for 32GB total. 

So first, on that Asus board, you want to check the Vccio and system agent voltages. You do NOT need more than 1.20v at all for either Vccio or system agent.

Then I want you to check the Trfc timing. You want to manually input what the SPD is stated in the bios. It will also show a few other timings you can be sure are properly set.

A quick note, running 4 sticks is harder on the memory controller. A hot running cpu will not be of help during testing, I hope you can keep load temps at least below 85c.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Thank you for that. 

Might be faulty, or might just need some user to bios settings intervention. 

You can run OCCT in windows for short bursts. Fill the memory, I usually test 12GB for 16GB total and 28GB for 32GB total. 

So first, on that Asus board, you want to check the Vccio and system agent voltages. You do NOT need more than 1.20v at all for either Vccio or system agent.

Then I want you to check the Trfc timing. You want to manually input what the SPD is stated in the bios. It will also show a few other timings you can be sure are properly set.

A quick note, running 4 sticks is harder on the memory controller. A hot running cpu will not be of help during testing, I hope you can keep load temps at least below 85c.

A good portion of this is spanglish to me so I'll have to do some research and reviewing before I can get any kind of good data back to you. I haven't had issues with temps before but will keep it in sight. 

I'll work thru the recommendations. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Nbd508 said:

A good portion of this is spanglish to me so I'll have to do some research and reviewing before I can get any kind of good data back to you. I haven't had issues with temps before but will keep it in sight. 

I'll work thru the recommendations. Thank you.

Yes, it can be complicated. Reading is good. Find some decent guides. Not all hardware is the same.

Getting familiar with bios is like getting familiar with the streets in a new neighborhood. You'll take on and navigate well with practice.

Rules of thumbs:

Write your settings down, or take a pic with your phone.

Change as little as possible when possible.

When setting up memory, remember there's tons of variables and can take hours, days and even weeks for fine tuning. 

Good Luck!

19 hours ago, Nbd508 said:

OK so I have an update... Lots of failures found here. Not sure how to interpret it just yet. 

Those errors mean that your RAM is unstable,

But if your RAM gives errors when XMP is on and everything else that is memory related is fine (memory controller on the CPU,motherboard and BIOS support) then it means that your RAM is faulty.

To me it seems like faulty RAM.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

So quick update.

Checked the voltages and timing in the bios everything looked to be where I was told it should. 
I began testing all of the ram individually after the TM5 extreme settings showed jo failures during the 4.5hr testing.
For my mobo it rec slot a2 for single ch so that's where I started. The first 4 tests represent the sticks I had numbered 1-4 subsequent testing is in pairs.

#1 spd pc4-25600 ddr4 xmp 3200mhz
16-18-18-38
Gskill intl f4-3200c
Test start 17:39 test end 20:11
No errors
Memtest86 freezes after several "bench marks" read write tests.

#2 spd pc4-25600 ddr4 xmp 3200mhz
16-18-18-38
Gskill intl f4-3200c
Test start 20:20 test end 22:52
No errors

#3 spd pc4-25600 ddr4 xmp 3200mhz
16-18-18-38
Gskill intl f4-3200c
Test start 22:58 test end 1:26
No errors
Memtest86 freezes after several "bench marks" read write tests.

#4 spd pc4-25600 ddr4 xmp 3200mhz
16-18-18-38
Gskill intl f4-3200c
Test start 1:32 test end 3:59
No errors

Test #5
Stick 4 a2 stick 2 b2
Time start 4:17 time end 7:24
No errors
Memtest86 freezes after several "bench marks" read write tests

Test #6
Stick 1 a2 stick 3 b2
Time start 7:32

So far not feeling very confident I have a ram issue any longer.

38 minutes ago, Nbd508 said:

So far not feeling very confident I have a ram issue any longer.

That's because everyone missed the obvious. You got a rounding error in prime 95 with erratic performance before it. I usually associate a rounding error with cpu failure. I've seen it before with intel cpus. I've had to rma a couple of them because of it.

Also to add to this those asus z390 boards are notorious for overvolting the memory controller and system agent when xmp is enabled. The whole time you were using xmp it was bumping 1.3v through vccio and system agent. You need to manually set them to about 1.2v

9 hours ago, Digideath said:

That's because everyone missed the obvious. You got a rounding error in prime 95 with erratic performance before it. I usually associate a rounding error with cpu failure. I've seen it before with intel cpus. I've had to rma a couple of them because of it.

Also to add to this those asus z390 boards are notorious for overvolting the memory controller and system agent when xmp is enabled. The whole time you were using xmp it was bumping 1.3v through vccio and system agent. You need to manually set them to about 1.2v

Could you please speak to me like a 4 year old.

What would you recommend I do to figure out if it's cpu or ram concerns?

The last time I had all 4 in without xmp enabled I was able to run several games and reinstall cod (which is 200gb) without nay slowdown. That game played multi-player fine but crashed during warzone after about 6-10 minutes in game. 

I got above average scores in r15 and r20 

TM5 passed. 

Also about 1.2 would imply some trial and error no? What would you do to be sure you were changing the right thing for the right concern? 

I believe I have 2nyear warranty on both he mobo and cpu still active from Microcenter the ram should be under limited lifetime warranty. 

I'm currently back to the memtest86 with all 4 sticks xmp still off. 

18 minutes ago, Nbd508 said:

Could you please speak to me like a 4 year old.

What would you recommend I do to figure out if it's cpu or ram concerns?

The last time I had all 4 in without xmp enabled I was able to run several games and reinstall cod (which is 200gb) without nay slowdown. That game played multi-player fine but crashed during warzone after about 6-10 minutes in game. 

I got above average scores in r15 and r20 

TM5 passed. 

Also about 1.2 would imply some trial and error no? What would you do to be sure you were changing the right thing for the right concern? 

I believe I have 2nyear warranty on both he mobo and cpu still active from Microcenter the ram should be under limited lifetime warranty. 

I'm currently back to the memtest86 with all 4 sticks xmp still off. 

Im trying to tell you you have 2 issues. Your cpu is faulty and needs repaced. Also your motherboard is overvolting certain parts and that might be the reason your cpu is faulty.

3 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Im trying to tell you you have 2 issues. Your cpu is faulty and needs repaced. Also your motherboard is overvolting certain parts and that might be the reason your cpu is faulty.

OK, so what would you recommend I do with the board I was under the impression this was a top of the line board I didn't expect issues. 

The cpu I could rma to Intel or Microcenter can handle it. 

1 minute ago, Nbd508 said:

OK, so what would you recommend I do with the board I was under the impression this was a top of the line board I didn't expect issues. 

The cpu I could rma to Intel or Microcenter can handle it. 

Sorry but i dont rate asus boards for this reason. And a few others. Just if you are going to use xmp then go in to the advanced settings and just make sure vccio and system agent are set to 1.2v. And yes rma that cpu. It is def faulty. You didn't overclock it so you are entitled to a replacement. Just dont tell them you enabled xmp