Is this normal?

So I have always believed I have poor performance and lots of issues with my Samsung hard drives.... That being said; this download started (about 200bg) and was running just over 100 MB/s  consistently until it got about 60 GB downloaded.Then it dropped down as low as 25 but averages in the mid 30's for the remaining time... IF I pause the DL and restart it'll jump back up.  The slow down as you can see from the screen shot, always happens when at 100 percent disk usage but the read / writes are at zero.  I don't understand how then usage is so high if read/write are 0. This doesn't seem normal? caching? IDK.  I thought it was internet, but it's very clearly not.  (also i have gigabit if that matters)
image.thumb.png.fa17daa60afe1433f352fd756990eb02.png

Keep trying to sign this stupid screen but it wont work...

That's the highest active time,it's similar to how you read CPU usage,if it goes to 100 the drive will lag.

I have never seen it on a SSD though,open performance monitor in task manager,go to the disk tab and then sort the disk activity by Total B/Sec from highest to lowest,post a screenshot of it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, Nbd508 said:

So I have always believed I have poor performance and lots of issues with my Samsung hard drives.... That being said; this download started (about 200bg) and was running just over 100 MB/s  consistently until it got about 60 GB downloaded.Then it dropped down as low as 25 but averages in the mid 30's for the remaining time... IF I pause the DL and restart it'll jump back up.  The slow down as you can see from the screen shot, always happens when at 100 percent disk usage but the read / writes are at zero.  I don't understand how then usage is so high if read/write are 0. This doesn't seem normal? caching? IDK.  I thought it was internet, but it's very clearly not.  (also i have gigabit if that matters)
image.thumb.png.fa17daa60afe1433f352fd756990eb02.png

What were you downloading and from where? Often such negative spikes can come from the data provider. For example, if you download a game on steam but the local storage from Steam is getting hitted by a bigger load and they can not send the data as fast as before. If you pause and restart the download - the load on the steam server gets smaller and you can download faster again. 

But please keep in mind, this is just my theory and something I heard a while back. Not sure if this is true.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

What were you downloading and from where? Often such negative spikes can come from the data provider. For example, if you download a game on steam but the local storage from Steam is getting hitted by a bigger load and they can not send the data as fast as before. If you pause and restart the download - the load on the steam server gets smaller and you can download faster again. 

But please keep in mind, this is just my theory and something I heard a while back. Not sure if this is true.

That's disk active time,not internet traffic...

Sorry,i misunderstood you.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

That's disk active time,not internet traffic...

Yes I know, but if the server is not sending anything, the SSD can not use/write anything - less active disk time.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

Sorry for the delayed response this was COD warzone, im reinstalling the 200bg game file because it was having issues.   I tried a different SSD and then it wont launch at all. I restarted and that SSD was missing from device managed and mypc; restart again its back but game doesn't launch. Running a verify on the game now... I have unending troubles with my SSDs and they're all new.  I have these same type of issues with large files of all kinds and sometimes smaller... Steam gives me diskwriteerrror all the time.  I have 2 m.2nvme 2 ssds and I keep gettin them rma' and they come back no issues. 

I'm really confused.  To add to it all, I thought mobo issues maybe but this is the SECOND mobo (z270 >> z390) and new cpu. Same old issues.

After a FRESH install I ran verify and check and it was missing files AGAIN.  I can't figure this out; I've done everything from swapping out cables to drives, to dskchks, to firmware, bios updates.... It was missing 4.5 gb of data after a fresh install too.

Sorry I haven't got another photo just yet of the task manager. its been ffinished for a bit.

47 minutes ago, Nbd508 said:

I'm really confused.  To add to it all, I thought mobo issues maybe but this is the SECOND mobo (z270 >> z390) and new cpu. Same old issues.

It can also be bad CPU or bad RAM,

Try testing the CPU with Prime95 with the Small FFTs option for a hour.

Try testing the RAM with Memtest86.

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

Prime95 download page:

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Memtest86 download page:

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

Prime95 download page:

Memtest86 download page:

I find it hard to believe the same issues happen from a 7700k/z290 and now on my  9900k/z390  I have run the windows memory diagnostic but I will boot this one up now and run both of them

on PRIME 95 it gives SMALL option and thread option, to select time it's CUSTOM and unchecks small?

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

Prime95 download page:

Memtest86 download page:

15min mark and I noticed 2 cores not at 100 percent?

15min.PNG

results

Worker 7/10 had found errors

worker #10.PNG

worker#7.PNG