Ram compatibility (B550M/2700x)

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, Wreighn said:

The cheap kit I've found doesn't appear to be supported for B450. So, I guess I just have to pray that it works, right :|

Yeah. The odds of having the kit not boot are extremely low. I would say the odds of making it to 3200MHz is about 85%. If you don't hit 3200MHz, you can always just go down to 2933MHz, without that big of a performance penalty. Odds are those are dual rank dims, which Ryzen does have a harder time hitting full speed on, so worst case scenario you will have to be running at 2666. You will lose some performance if you have to drop down that low, but the odds of you having to go down that low are pretty low. 

Hi,

I'm building a new rig for myself, but there is this last thing that's bothering me, and its RAM compatibility.

I've found this kit G.SKILL 32GB Aegis DDR4 3200MHz CL16 KIT F4-3200C16D-32GIS for 106e, and from my understanding it's a great deal. It's 3200MHz, and CL16, so it should theoretically work great with Zen+, right?

The CPU I went for is the Ryzen 7 2700x, and as for the motherboard, I was going to go for a B450 board, but on the GSKILL's website, B450 boards are not listed in the QVL section. Luckily, B550 boards are listed (and are only 20e more expensive on average), so I decided to go for Gigabyte B550M DS3H which is on the list. The thing that has been bothering me there is that for some other RAM sticks B550 boards are listed, but only for 3000 and 5000 series Ryzen processors. That has lead me to believe that they (GSKILL) perhaps haven't properly updated their list.

Has anyone had experience with this combo of hardware, and can anyone help me clear this up?

The 2700X is not compatible with B550 boards, you need to go with either an X570 board or a B450 board if you want to save a buck. Also, when confirming compatibility, go to the motherboard's QVC list, not the memory's. The motherboard manufacturer tend to give the most accurate compatibility, as they update it every time they update the bios.

14 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

for 106e, and from my understanding it's a great deal. It's 3200MHz, and CL16, so it should theoretically work great with Zen+, right?

tbh im pretty sure zen+ has a max ram speed of 2933mhz, but it should handle 3200mhz without issues 99% of the time, dont go any higher tho lol, the memory controller on zen+ is kinda well, oof

9 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

tbh im pretty sure zen+ has a max ram speed of 2933mhz, but it should handle 3200mhz without issues 99% of the time, dont go any higher tho lol, the memory controller on zen+ is kinda well, oof

It's not quite as bad as you make it out to be. It does have a pretty hard wall at 3200MHz, but getting to 3200MHz is fairly easy, and I have run kits not on the QVC at full speed with them without a problem. First gen Ryzen was worse, but the 2700x has a half decent controller at least.

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's not quite as bad as you make it out to be. It does have a pretty hard wall at 3200MHz, but getting to 3200MHz is fairly easy, and I have run kits not on the QVC at full speed with them without a problem. First gen Ryzen was worse, but the 2700x has a half decent controller at least.

The cheap kit I've found doesn't appear to be supported for B450. So, I guess I just have to pray that it works (at the desired frequency), right :|

1 minute ago, Wreighn said:

The cheap kit I've found doesn't appear to be supported for B450. So, I guess I just have to pray that it works, right :|

Yeah. The odds of having the kit not boot are extremely low. I would say the odds of making it to 3200MHz is about 85%. If you don't hit 3200MHz, you can always just go down to 2933MHz, without that big of a performance penalty. Odds are those are dual rank dims, which Ryzen does have a harder time hitting full speed on, so worst case scenario you will have to be running at 2666. You will lose some performance if you have to drop down that low, but the odds of you having to go down that low are pretty low.