Does re-applying thermal paste ever solve a CPU temp problem?

tertyolwpp

I'm troubleshooting my new 5800x, it runs hotter than my 3900x. Basically my fan curves are way more aggressive now and I am unsure why.

I was wondering if perhaps I messed up on the thermal paste? Based on youtube vids, it seems like the usual culprit with thermal paste is when you add too little - I was definitely generous on my application (added a few dots). 

I verified everything else and it seems to work fine - Has re-seating the cooler on the CPU with fresh paste ever actually solved this problem for people?

What cooler do you use? Make a blub of paste just under the Z in ryzen the size of a chick pea in diameter.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

For me, It did actually. But it does matter what kind of thermal paste you're using. In my case, the processor was 45C with the small portion of Thermal Paste, and 35 with a bigger portion. But maybe it was the mounting pressure where I failed the first time.

The short answer to your question is yes. it can help with your thermal issue. you want to place a pea sized dot in the center of the cpu. also you should note that the 5800x is an extremely hot CPU and is know for having many thermal related issues. one suggestion would be get a more beefy CPU cooler with a much higher them TDP rating as your stock cooler (if that is what you are using) struggles with that chipset.

Usually if you have thermal issues, a remount of the cooler will fix it as long as the cooler itself is adequate and the chip is relatively flat. Try taking off the cooler and see what the thermal paste spread looks like, since if there isn't an adequate spread (especially with AMD's chiplet design used on Ryzen), thermals can really suffer if all the paste is on one side of the die for example. A reapplication of paste will usually fix that, though just out of curiosity, would you mind sending a photo of the current application? Patterns in the spread can indicate how thermals will be and whether the paste is even the issue.

Well actually no, it's the reapplication of the mounting is the most important.

If your heatsink not balanced, reseating it will solve the problem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

54 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Usually if you have thermal issues, a remount of the cooler will fix it as long as the cooler itself is adequate and the chip is relatively flat. Try taking off the cooler and see what the thermal paste spread looks like, since if there isn't an adequate spread (especially with AMD's chiplet design used on Ryzen), thermals can really suffer if all the paste is on one side of the die for example. A reapplication of paste will usually fix that, though just out of curiosity, would you mind sending a photo of the current application? Patterns in the spread can indicate how thermals will be and whether the paste is even the issue.

Sure, when I take it apart tomorrow I will post a pic and share results.

41 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I see, I will retry tomorrow

Thanks for the answers everyone, I will re-apply and let you know how it goes.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:56 PM, SupaKomputa said:

On 1/6/2021 at 11:42 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

It did not work. I booted my computer, temps are idle at ~60C, its hitting ~80C under load. I did the pea size method this time, and when installing made sure to place it very evenly.

I have build around 10 PC's in my life, never had this issue - thinking perhaps I just have a hot chip.

Here is a pic of the original spread, a large gunk of it was on the cooler, which by the way is a noctua nh-d15 (one of the best air-coolers in the market).

At this point I am blaming my case, a Fractal r7, wondering if it just has bad airflow. Its supposed to be quiet, but the fans are so loud its defeating the purpose.

20210107_174141.jpg

Well the last thing to do is to try solving the airflow problem.

If you have heatsink problem, the load temp would be greater than 80c.

Just open the side panel to compare.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well the last thing to do is to try solving the airflow problem.

If you have heatsink problem, the load temp would be greater than 80c.

Just open the side panel to compare.

I tried that, its idling at around 55C