Resizable bar support for B450 motherboards

Go to solution Solved by D13H4RD,

Hardware Unboxed found that a majority of games will see a negligible bump in performance. About 1-3% on average. Some games can have double-digit percentage gains in FPS whilst there are others that actually perform worse by a similar amount.

Resizable BAR is potentially a nice feature going forward, but as of right now, this is not something to get hyped over unless you play Forza Horizon 4 or AC: Valhalla on the regular.

You don't have to wait for it to be more stable as it's something that has existed since 2008. It's only now that consumer platforms have adopted it.

Hi there, 

I just noticed that my MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX motherboard has now a BIOS update which provides resizable bar function(https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX). I know it provides a performance boost to the graphics cards by allowing the processor to direct access the VRAM. But AMD hasn't provided officially to b450 chipsets and older processors(I have Ryzen 3 3100). Should I update my BIOS to gain that little performance boost? Also I'm currently using a much older GTX 750 TI 2GB graphics card and waiting for new budget GPUs to come. I'm afraid that updating the BIOS and enabling this feature might break something. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks.

if ur scared to update dont

i dont think u would get that much noticable difference but thats my 2 cents

i think it would be best to not update

but u do u

1 minute ago, iamthatuiu said:

if ur scared to update dont

i dont think u would get that much noticable difference but thats my 2 cents

i think it would be best to not update

but u do u

The thing is this I don't mind updating the BIOS but this feature is new and I think its best to wait till few BIOS updates so it gets more stable. 

Hardware Unboxed found that a majority of games will see a negligible bump in performance. About 1-3% on average. Some games can have double-digit percentage gains in FPS whilst there are others that actually perform worse by a similar amount.

Resizable BAR is potentially a nice feature going forward, but as of right now, this is not something to get hyped over unless you play Forza Horizon 4 or AC: Valhalla on the regular.

You don't have to wait for it to be more stable as it's something that has existed since 2008. It's only now that consumer platforms have adopted it.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, RajTheGeek said:

The thing is this I don't mind updating the BIOS but this feature is new and I think its best to wait till few BIOS updates so it gets more stable. 

yes

i dont have pc but i am helping people with a pc 

poggers

wish i had a pc

dont know how many pc list i have made

to many pc build guides

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

You don't have to wait for it to be more stable as it's some that has existed since 2008. It's only now that consumer platforms have adopted it.

Yes I saw that too and I agree!

20 minutes ago, RajTheGeek said:

I'm afraid that updating the BIOS and enabling this feature might break something.

Assuming you can turn it off again, I'd think the risk isn't that high. Enable it, see if it has a benefit and if not, simply disable it again. I'd certainly try it out if I had a supported system.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Resizable BAR is also unlikely to break anything to the point of a boot failure. At worst, you might see some programs behaving weirdly, but so far, the most common drawback just seems to be some games performing worse.

Remember, this is something that's existed since 2008, and has been utilized to some degree by non-consumer hardware.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

34 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

there will no performence bump when buying new, only sometimes, linus even tested that shit

im talkign bout gpus btw