Nexus 5 or OnePlus One

TheGosuStandard

I was looking at the Nexus 5 & OnePlus One, which both seem similar spec wise (As well as price), I was wondering which would you pref given only a few differences such as camera? I know one hasn't been released yet, but wanted to get some insight before I make my purchase.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

We should wait for the One to be released at least.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

We should wait for the One to be released at least.

All to most of the specs have been leaked/released, was just wondering from that standpoint as my patience with my slow S1 is killing me  <_<

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Going off of the leaked specs of the OnePlus One, I'd go with that. 

COMIC SANS

If you mention the Nexus 5 anywhere in a decision, people will almost always tell you to get the Nexus 5 here. I think we're pretty biased towards it's overall awesomeness (including me).

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

new iphone or galaxy s5 or note 4

Don't those cost around double what the N5 & OnePlus One cost?

Nexus 5.

Rooting, flashing ROMs and custom kernels can be a lot of fun.

My system | Nexus 4 (16GB) with CyanogenMod 12 | Pebble smartwatch | Dropbox | about.me: Tom Burnes -

• 1 month later...

Updating this thread:

I can either get the N5 with wireless charging & stock android right now or I can wait another month :( to get the Oneplus One with better specs.

I also plan to upgrade to the N6 once that is released, perhaps getting the Moto 360 not sure if that would work with the Oneplus One either.

This is me having bad decision making  :blink:

Updating this thread:

I can either get the N5 with wireless charging & stock android right now or I can wait another month :( to get the Oneplus One with better specs.

I also plan to upgrade to the N6 once that is released, perhaps getting the Moto 360 not sure if that would work with the Oneplus One either.

This is me having bad decision making  :blink:

Might take up to June/July until you can buy the OnePlus One without an invite. Up to you if you can wait that long for the Oppo find 7a/OnePlus One. What are you using the now?

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

I have a Nexus 4 and hoping to get the Nexus 5 at some point. I have finally got around to giving wireless charging a go...pretty much a game changer for me i wish i had got it a lot sooner. Sounds stupid but it makes life so much easier never going back to wires ever again.

Nexus 5 also you have the ability to either use the stock android that comes with the phone or go with a rom like cynagenmod. 

The only big difference between the 2 in my opinion which would make any difference would be the camera but as i have a nice DSLR i dont really care. 

Hands down for me would have to be Nexus 5 for the inbuilt wireless charging and pure android from google.

Also just a side note i dont really want to support a company which promotes it self by asking you to smash your phone no matter what it is.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

Might take up to June/July until you can buy the OnePlus One without an invite. Up to you if you can wait that long for the Oppo find 7a/OnePlus One. What are you using the now?

I am using this slow & outdated galaxy s1 4g, I have around 300-400 to spend (low price to eventually get an N6).

I also could of gotten an N5 2 months ago, but I thought the oneplus would be released by april that turned out to be a disappointment, 

I am using this slow & outdated galaxy s1 4g, I have around 300-400 to spend (low price to eventually get an N6).

I also could of gotten an N5 2 months ago, but I thought the oneplus would be released by april that turned out to be a disappointment, 

I like the OnePlus One but i hate the way you need to buy it. Personally i am going to wait for the LG G3 to come out and see how it is and if i like it i will upgrade to that from my Nexus 5. I would get the Nexus 5, worthwhile upgrade from the Galaxy S1 and later down the line you see a phone you really like you can just sell the Nexus 5 and buy that phone.

I loved the Nexus 4, but I'd honestly go with the OnePlus One. Overall nicer specs at a lower price. Plus 64GB at the price of the Nexus 5 16GB? Pssssshhhh.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

This had me blown away: 

I have  a nexus 5, and i would not upgrade to the oneplus one, because my nexus is plenty fast at the moment. But if i had to buy one phone now it would be the oneplus one. I also always wanted a bigger screen as well as it having the better price.

This had me blown away: 

I have  a nexus 5, and i would not upgrade to the oneplus one, because my nexus is plenty fast at the moment. But if i had to buy one phone now it would be the oneplus one. I also always wanted a bigger screen as well as it having the better price.

It's a shame the OPO is a pain in the ass to buy.

This had me blown away: 

The reason why the OPO is fast because it has fastboot enabled by default, the phone never turns off and you can see how it took longer to reboot. But while the OPO is in its off state it will still consume battery.

The OPO front is also not completely gorilla glass but gorilla glass on the actual screen with plastic top and bottom. However if you get a glass screen protector that may not matter anyway.

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

OnePlus One...

Reasoning:

• The Nexus 5 is already a year old, it's specs are decent, but are slightly outdated
  • OnePlus One has superior specs to Nexus 5: bigger screen, more RAM, a slightly upgraded processor, and a better ROM (to start with)
  • Now if you are going argue: "Well how is just 1GB of RAM more useful, and what's the difference between Snapdragon 800 and 801? Would a user even notice?" ...now if this doesn't matter, the smart user would still go with the cheaper option --> the OnePlus One

However, since there are more N5 users compared to OPO users... the N5 is going to get more votes b/c people are loyal to what they own :D

PLEASE QUOTE ME WHEN YOU REPLY TO MY POSTS, thank you.

• OnePlus One has superior specs to Nexus 5: bigger screen, more RAM, a slightly upgraded processor, and a better ROM (to start with)

The phrase "point of diminishing returns" should be strongly applied here. The marginal upgrade will make fat zero difference. 5.5 inch? Too big imo. Bigger is not better when it comes to screens when you get past 5.5". The phone is huge, too huge. 1GB more ram? i've never seen my GS3 go beyond 1GB. 

I would vote Nexus as it is from Google, so lightening fast updates, Cyanogen mod for the GS3 was months behind the android versions with these silly daily alphas. 

The phrase "point of diminishing returns" should be strongly applied here. The marginal upgrade will make fat zero difference. 5.5 inch? Too big imo. Bigger is not better when it comes to screens when you get past 5.5". The phone is huge, too huge. 1GB more ram? i've never seen my GS3 go beyond 1GB. 

I would vote Nexus as it is from Google, so lightening fast updates, Cyanogen mod for the GS3 was months behind the android versions with these silly daily alphas. 

Well, the screen size is all preference, my bad for putting that in there. However, who knows when this amount of RAM will be used. Maybe (someday), a 64-bit Android will come out and the OPO may be able to utilize it. Or maybe you are a tab monster (even on mobile devices) or a multitasking pro... who knows?  :lol:

On the idea of the OS, seeing as how this is a CyanogenMod supported phone, I'm pretty sure that they will have a team of developers [mainly] focusing on OPO ROM updates and development. Also it is CM11s, so you shouldn't need an update for a while (assuming that all the next KitKat updates are pretty small and unnoticeable) However, you are right the N5 will still get crazy fast updates. 

Also on your GS3, you can always just get nightlies or unofficial... they aren't that risky and it's a highly supported phone.

EDIT: To the people who own a Nexus 5, don't even worry about upgrading your phone to the OPO, your phone is fine. However, if you are someone who has an older gen device (and you are looking for an upgrade), I would highly recommend you choose the OPO over the N5.

Well, the screen size is all preference, my bad for putting that in there. However, who knows when this amount of RAM will be used. Maybe (someday), a 64-bit Android will come out and the OPO may be able to utilize it. Or maybe you are a tab monster (even on mobile devices) or a multitasking pro... who knows?  :lol:

On the idea of the OS, seeing as how this is a CyanogenMod supported phone, I'm pretty sure that they will have a team of developers [mainly] focusing on OPO ROM updates and development. Also it is CM11s, so you shouldn't need an update for a while (assuming that all the next KitKat updates are pretty small and unnoticeable) However, you are right the N5 will still get crazy fast updates. 

Also on your GS3, you can always just get nightlies or unofficial... they aren't that risky and it's a highly supported phone.

On a technicality, ma GS3 is a weird Aussie LTE model so not much support, but the nightlies I used for the OneX were frustrating, camera & gapps were always crashy. But what about 4.5/5.0? 4.4 has huge improvements in memory utilisations. Does Chrome still limit you to 10 tabs? Android kills apps in the background to save memory pretty well. 

Yep screen is a personal preference. But 5.5" cuts out probably 99% of the market, including me (anything >4.7 is too big for me). 

32 bit limits at 4GiB of memory, which is more, plus the CPU would need to accept 64bit instructions (is the CPU only 32b? Not sure on this one).

On a technicality, ma GS3 is a weird Aussie LTE model so not much support, but the nightlies I used for the OneX were frustrating, camera & gapps were always crashy. But what about 4.5/5.0? 4.4 has huge improvements in memory utilisations. Does Chrome still limit you to 10 tabs? Android kills apps in the background to save memory pretty well. 

Yep screen is a personal preference. But 5.5" cuts out probably 99% of the market, including me (anything >4.7 is too big for me). 

32 bit limits at 4GiB of memory, which is more, plus the CPU would need to accept 64bit instructions (is the CPU only 32b? Not sure on this one).

What's a OneX? (HTC One X?) But I'm talking about minor updates such as 4.4.3, 4.4.4, etc. Also, Chrome does not limit you to 10 tabs anymore, so... 

Wait, but the N5 has a 4.95" screen and the GS3 has a 4.8"...lulwut?

Yeah, you are right about the SoC. The Snapdragon 801 is only 32-bit :( (Source)

What's a OneX? (HTC One X?) But I'm talking about minor updates such as 4.4.3, 4.4.4, etc. Also, Chrome does not limit you to 10 tabs anymore, so... 

Wait, but the N5 has a 4.95" screen and the GS3 has a 4.8"...lulwut?

Yeah, you are right about the SoC. The Snapdragon 801 is only 32-bit :( (Source)

Yep HTC One X, it was well supported, but non HTC sense ROMs like cyanogenmod and AOKP were stuck with cummy nightlies. 

They are both too big for me and I'm glad I've moved on. I assumed so :S I don't think there is any android 64b phones (except maybe the Exynos Galaxy S5?) and I really don't think it is anymore than a marketing trick used by Apple.

Yep HTC One X, it was well supported, but non HTC sense ROMs like cyanogenmod and AOKP were stuck with cummy nightlies. 

They are both too big for me and I'm glad I've moved on. I assumed so :S I don't think there is any android 64b phones (except maybe the Exynos Galaxy S5?) and I really don't think it is anymore than a marketing trick used by Apple.

Well, hopefully the next gen Snapdragon SoC's will be 64-bit. I would really, really like to see Android utilize the amazing specs that are put into phones nowadays.