Just bought a slow PC from my mom...any ideas?

phoon
Go to solution Solved by Chionele,
Just now, phoon said:

I see, you think I could slap a couple HDDs and have it act as a NAS and Plex server at the same time?

Sure, not a problem.

Hey guys,

Just a bit of background, I first built an ultra budget gaming pc for my little brother w/ a pentium G4500 and a GTX 1050. I upgraded his pc to an i5 last summer and gave him a new case/mobo/ram/Corsair AIO, basically everything new except for the 1050 (+ a new monitor).

So his old PC was left running on the igpu just enough for some word processing.

Since my mom payed for my little brother's upgrades she told me she wants to have the PC and monitor on her desk because she liked the feeling of having one (for work nostalgia).

I obviously knew she wasn't going to use it since she has a 2019 MacBook air but I did it anyway. Five months later and the PC is just sitting there never used.

So I felt bad and told her I'll buy the whole package from her, monitor and pc for 500 Canadian moose currency. I think I got my money's worth I salvaged the 1 TB SSD for my pc and used the monitor as a side monitor.

Which leaves me with the computer;

pentium G4500

Asus B250 mobo

12 GB ram

450 W psu

Wut do I do with it?

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Throw in a 120GB SSD and sell it if you don't have a use for it. 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Throw in a 120GB SSD and sell it if you don't have a use for it. 

I'm asking for idea before I jump the train

My PC is a fast boyo:

Just now, phoon said:

I'm asking for idea before I jump the train

If you had something useful for it in mind, you likely wouldn't be making this thread. Forcing yourself to use it for something is a bit wasteful imo.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, phoon said:

Hey guys,

Just a bit of background, I first built an ultra budget gaming pc for my little brother w/ a pentium G4500 and a GTX 1050. I upgraded his pc to an i5 last summer and gave him a new case/mobo/ram/Corsair AIO, basically everything new except for the 1050 (+ a new monitor).

So his old PC was left running on the igpu just enough for some word processing.

Since my mom payed for my little brother's upgrades she told me she wants to have the PC and monitor on her desk because she liked the feeling of having one (for work nostalgia).

I obviously knew she wasn't going to use it since she has a 2019 MacBook air but I did it anyway. Five months later and the PC is just sitting there never used.

So I felt bad and told her I'll buy the whole package from her, monitor and pc for 500 Canadian moose currency. I think I got my money's worth I salvaged the 1 TB SSD for my pc and used the monitor as a side monitor.

pentium G4500

Asus B250 mobo

12 GB ram

450 W psu

Wut do I do with it?

Any Ideas?

check out my $200 or $500 build on My pc guide

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you had something useful for it in mind, you likely wouldn't be making this thread. Forcing yourself to use it for something is a bit wasteful imo.

I do, I could make a Plex server or a NAS. But I need more ideas before I make a decision.

My PC is a fast boyo:

clean it, put some ssd, do cable management and sell it, IF ONLY you don't use it. 

3 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

Home NAS/Plex Server, great use for low power parts.

You think it can handle high bit rates?

My PC is a fast boyo:

1 minute ago, phoon said:

You think it can handle I bit rates?

That CPU has CPU Mark of 2869, and didn't Plex require 2000 per 1080p transcode? So if you need to do transcoding you should be fine. Otherwise as a file server it's more than enough.

13 minutes ago, phoon said:

Hey guys,

pentium G4500

Asus B250 mobo

12 GB ram

450 W psu

Wut do I do with it?

Any Ideas?

Like others said a server/NAS would be good if you need the storage. You could buy a used 1650 or somthing and use it as a mining rig but I don't know if it would be worth it.

2 minutes ago, Chionele said:

That CPU has CPU Mark of 2869, and didn't Plex require 2000 per 1080p transcode? So if you need to do transcoding you should be fine. Otherwise as a file server it's more than enough.

I see, you think I could slap a couple HDDs and have it act as a NAS and Plex server at the same time?

My PC is a fast boyo:

Just now, phoon said:

Sure, not a problem.

5 minutes ago, kucharczykt said:

Like others said a server/NAS would be good if you need the storage. You could buy a used 1650 or somthing and use it as a mining rig but I don't know if it would be worth it.

Good idea but yeah not very profitable, but I definitely need the storage.

I find it unhealthy to have 5TB worth data of storage on 5 different drives stuffed in a mini itx form factor hehe

My PC is a fast boyo:

Just now, phoon said:

Good idea but yeah not very profitable, but I definitely need the storage.

I find it unhealthy to have 5TB worth of storage on 5 different drives stuffed in a mini itx for factor hehe

I know close to nothing about mining and didn't know if you needed more storage but I was just pitching the idea.

1 minute ago, kucharczykt said:

I know close to nothing about mining and didn't know if you needed more storage but I was just pitching the idea.

Yep thx for the idea! Definitely will do it if I end up buying a NAS just for storage.

My PC is a fast boyo:

14 minutes ago, phoon said:

You think it can handle high bit rates?

As long as you aren't trying to run a few transcode sessions at the same time, it would likely direct play as many sessions until you saturate the network connection.

Chromecast and Xbox clients are usually prime offenders for everything needing a transcode, web browsers don't support HEVC and smart tv's are absolutely all over the place but generally alright. Just make sure your media is encoded correctly, trying to play 4K x265 10bit HDR on an xbox isn't going to happen and it's going to turn into 4mbps 720p anyways. People spend like $500 on those Synology units with no serviceable parts with ARM or Celeron cpus which likely would fail to transcode 720p.

You'll be fine as long as you don't expect it to do everything possible at once, and at the point you need more. That 6700k would definitely do great for a lower power server at stock clocks.

2 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

You'll be fine as long as you don't expect it to do everything possible at once, and at the point you need more. That 6700k would definitely do great for a lower power server at stock clocks.

Nuuuu plz my 6700k is my main rig plz don't take it away from me.

Gotcha, simultaneous NAS and Plex running on Linux is my next project!

Thanks man!

My PC is a fast boyo: