Can I screw through an EK CoolStream Classic SE 360 Rad?

Ron30
Go to solution Solved by Ron30,

I feel stupid. The above post made me re-check everything. I've been looking for an M3 x 35mm with a thread pitch of 6-32, but it looks like 6-32 is the only important value (other than length). I found a site that sells it in 1.5" and 2" variants so I've just put in an order for that.

I'm trying to install a new radiator in the front of my case, with the fans on the inside in a pull configuration. I was able to install it without issue, but my new layout requires that I mount my pump/res combo to the fan. I picked up an EK Uni Pump 120mm fan mount (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan-vertical) but the rad screw seems just slightly too short now. It comes with 30mm screws which is sufficient to go through the fan, the case mount and the rad, but the added 1mm of the pump mount, plus the 1-2mm increase because the screw is no longer countersunk means that it's too short. I've spent 2 weeks with my PC in parts, looking for a 35-40mm long screw, but I can't find one with the same threading.

I'm wondering if I can use the 30mm screw to go through the front of the rad to the back, and then into the fan, and secure it with a nut. Then use a small (5mm) nut and bolt on the other side of the fan to secure the pump. I did test by screwing one of the 30mm screws through the rad, but a family member says that I bent the fins when I did that. I can't see any bent fins, but also, does it matter? As long as it's not cracked and water continues to flow through, bent fins shouldn't really be an issue right? Does anyone know if it's safe to send the screw through the rad? As you can see in the images, I can fit a nut on both sides of the fan...won't be easy doing the back end, but I haven't found another solution.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure on the screw part, but your fans are in a exhaust config... not pulling air in. You have them backwards for a pull config. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Not sure on the screw part, but your fans are in a exhaust config... not pulling air in. You have them backwards for a pull config. 

yep fan is on backwards

8 minutes ago, Ron30 said:

I'm trying to install a new radiator in the front of my case, with the fans on the inside in a pull configuration. I was able to install it without issue, but my new layout requires that I mount my pump/res combo to the fan. I picked up an EK Uni Pump 120mm fan mount (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan-vertical) but the rad screw seems just slightly too short now. It comes with 30mm screws which is sufficient to go through the fan, the case mount and the rad, but the added 1mm of the pump mount, plus the 1-2mm increase because the screw is no longer countersunk means that it's too short. I've spent 2 weeks with my PC in parts, looking for a 35-40mm long screw, but I can't find one with the same threading.

I'm wondering if I can use the 30mm screw to go through the front of the rad to the back, and then into the fan, and secure it with a nut. Then use a small (5mm) nut and bolt on the other side of the fan to secure the pump. I did test by screwing one of the 30mm screws through the rad, but a family member says that I bent the fins when I did that. I can't see any bent fins, but also, does it matter? As long as it's not cracked and water continues to flow through, bent fins shouldn't really be an issue right? Does anyone know if it's safe to send the screw through the rad? As you can see in the images, I can fit a nut on both sides of the fan...won't be easy doing the back end, but I haven't found another solution.

spacer.png

spacer.png

are the screws you need m3 or 6/32? i know where you can find both.

23 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

are the screws you need m3 or 6/32? i know where you can find both.

The EK site says they are UNC 6-32. The mount instructions say M3. If I understand correctly, M3 is the width/diameter and 6-32 is the thread density. I picked up some M3's that are the wrong thread (can't find UNC 6-32), but they slide in and out without actually "catching" the thread, so they remain loose. By the way, I'm in Australia and all the US screws have some insane $60+ shipping charges, but I may end up paying that as a last resort.

Rad specs are here: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-classic-se-360

I feel stupid. The above post made me re-check everything. I've been looking for an M3 x 35mm with a thread pitch of 6-32, but it looks like 6-32 is the only important value (other than length). I found a site that sells it in 1.5" and 2" variants so I've just put in an order for that.

1 hour ago, Ron30 said:

2" is way to big. 1 1/2" is 38mm. you may need some 6/32 washers

you can find m3 35mm here

https://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c477/s1275/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-PC_Water_Cooling_Radiator_Screws-M3-05_Thread_35mm_long-Page1.html

m3 40mm

https://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c477/s1255/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-PC_Water_Cooling_Radiator_Screws-M3-05_Thread_40mm_long-Page1.html

Yeah the 1.5" should be fine or need a washer or 2. I have plenty of washers. I've spent nearly 2 weeks with my PC parts on the floor, looking for this, so to be safe, I grabbed the 2" also. I don't mind using a bunch of washers (it'll look bad) just to get up and running now. I need to drain the loop when I can get my hands on an RTX 3080 anyway, so I can look for a better solution by then, if needed. Alternatively, they come 5 to a pack, so I can use one of the spares and see if I can cut it down to size. Again, only if the 38mm / 1.5" doesn't work, but it should.

Frozencpu is US, so it'll cost a lot to ship out my way, but I'll do it as a last resort, if needed.