Is this a good psu?

Zev_7

I recently bought this power supply from microcenter and can't find any reviews on it so I'm assuming it's a new product that was produced recently. It's a Gskill gpx850g, at least that's the model name. Micro center reviews seem good except for one, but I don't live in the area where the micro center is so its not like I can return it if it doesn't work and would have to rely on warranty. 

Anybody with this psu and technical knowledge know if it's good just by the spec? 

20210102_142111.jpg

According to the PSU tier list, it's not great, Tier C, and you need to treat it as if it were 230V only, apparently there is precedent for GPX PSUs to stop working if they receive less than 100V while in use.

This sort of depends. It is definitely a good PSU. If you are running an average mid-tier gaming computer, this might actually hurt performance. lower end computers use about 300-400 watts whichmay seem fine since you have more than enough, but power supplies are most efficient at about 80-90% power. The drawback should be slight maybe about 10% worse than expected. Using a pc wattage calculator would be a nice way to figure out how many watts you need. I'd get about 100 more watts than the calculator recommends though just so you have some breathing room in the future. As for the supply itself its rated as 80+ gold efficiency. The efficiency doesn't matter as much on the lower end but a higher one will usually last longer. As for gold, it's the happy medium where it's cheap enough but will last a long time. As for the noise, it should be pretty quiet, I definitely noticed just how much noise a cheap power supply can make when I got a better one. With that change, my wattage went from 700 to 550 and I got that about 10% improvement on my benchmark scores. You say you can't really return it so I wouldn't stress over it. This thing will last you at least 5 years though.

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

14 minutes ago, somer4ndo said:

According to the PSU tier list, it's not great, Tier C, and you need to treat it as if it were 230V only, apparently there is precedent for GPX PSUs to stop working if they receive less than 100V while in use.

13 minutes ago, richodude said:

This sort of depends. It is definitely a good PSU. If you are running an average mid-tier gaming computer, this might actually hurt performance. lower end computers use about 300-400 watts whichmay seem fine since you have more than enough, but power supplies are most efficient at about 80-90% power. The drawback should be slight maybe about 10% worse than expected. Using a pc wattage calculator would be a nice way to figure out how many watts you need. I'd get about 100 more watts than the calculator recommends though just so you have some breathing room in the future. As for the supply itself its rated as 80+ gold efficiency. The efficiency doesn't matter as much on the lower end but a higher one will usually last longer. As for gold, it's the happy medium where it's cheap enough but will last a long time. As for the noise, it should be pretty quiet, I definitely noticed just how much noise a cheap power supply can make when I got a better one. With that change, my wattage went from 700 to 550 and I got that about 10% improvement on my benchmark scores. You say you can't really return it so I wouldn't stress over it. This thing will last you at least 5 years though.

I recently bought a corsair RM750 and the rails seem better on the corsair than this power supply but I'm expecting to upgrade soon. I was worried about wattage with the new parts because they totaled 616 watts and my old bronze corsair 650w struggled with my current mid-high tower pc. 

The psus are obv different now.

These are the parts I have now:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $250.00
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $75.58
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix H370-F Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $145.13
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory $154.79
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $64.94
Storage Western Digital WD Blue 500 GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $36.68 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $128.50
Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card  
Case Corsair SPEC-OMEGA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $151.54
Power Supply Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $85.00
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $38.96
Case Fan Thermaltake Riing 40.6 CFM 120 mm Fan $41.78
Monitor MSI Optix G24C4 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $227.30
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $64.00
Custom Insignia™ - 2.1-Channel 80W Soundbar System with Wireless Subwoofer - Black $44.10
Custom Webcam with Microphone,1080P HD Streaming Webcam for PC Computer Laptops, Desktop and Gaming,Conferencing,2.0 USB Video Chatting Flexible Rotatable Clip (A5) $35.50
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1583.79
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-02 17:03 EST-0500  

Vs what I want in the future:

Forgot to add I have 2TB HDDs now, one 3.5inch and one 2.5inch. The other drives are an sn500 wd blue and an Intel optane stick. I also have a PNY RTX 3080 not asus but should be the same.