Headphone recommendations under 200$

GOJIRA229

Hello I am looking to start a headphone collection and I have 200$   I already have some trn st1 iems  and Phillips fideleo x2hr I have a Asgard amp and a modius dac 

Sony MDR 7506 (I just finished a review of them today)

Sennhiser HD 280pros

Sony CD900ST (might be a bit higher depending on where you buy them)

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Sennhiser HD6XX massdrop (20 dollars more than limit sry)

Probably more but this is all I can think of right now

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

34 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

Hello I am looking to start a headphone collection and I have 200$   I already have some trn st1 iems  and Phillips fideleo x2hr I have a Asgard amp and a modius dac 

Hey. Since you have the X2HR's and you are getting new headphones could you get back to me and tell me how they sound different and what you like and don't like about the X2's. 

Also to recommend something. I agree with Sub's recommendations but I do wanna add on that you could get the Sennheiser HD 58X's instead of the 6XX that are more expensive not offer much of a difference based off of what others have said.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

4 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Hey. Since you have the X2HR's and you are getting new headphones could you get back to me and tell me how they sound different and what you like and don't like about the X2's. 

Also to recommend something. I agree with Sub's recommendations but I do wanna add on that you could get the Sennheiser HD 58X's instead of the 6XX that are more expensive not offer much of a difference based off of what others have said.

I love the fideleos they have a good low end but not over powering like my vmoda crossfades they have a good soundstage but with my amp if I put them in high gain I can also use the as speakers. Also I was looking to also get another pair of headphones other than the hd 58x because they are 120$ on ebay 

27 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

but I do wanna add on that you could get the Sennheiser HD 58X's

huh never knew these existed

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, sub68 said:

huh never knew these existed

Yes they exist

They are kinda like HD600 with more bass and less treble, with faster attack and decay

At the price it is offered at it is a solid option

However, I will offer another option: HE4xx

Getting a planar would improve the variety of headphones

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

24 minutes ago, kaixax555 said:

Yes they exist

They are kinda like HD600 with more bass and less treble, with faster attack and decay

At the price it is offered at it is a solid option

However, I will offer another option: HE4xx

Getting a planar would improve the variety of headphones

Thanks I will get a planar but what is the difference between the he4xx the he5xx the he 400i and the he35x or some other planar headphones 

5 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

Thanks I will get a planar but what is the difference between the he4xx the he5xx the he 400i and the he35x or some other planar headphones 

The 35x isn't a planar. The 5xx is a cut down version of a 560 I believe which leans more neutral bright I have yet to hear it. The 4xx is a slightly warmer slightly less refined version of the 400i. If the 4xx is the same price as a 2020 version of the 400i I would get the 400i as it is more durable with its newer design 

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The 35x isn't a planar. The 5xx is a cut down version of a 560 I believe which leans more neutral bright I have yet to hear it. The 4xx is a slightly warmer slightly less refined version of the 400i. If the 4xx is the same price as a 2020 version of the 400i I would get the 400i as it is more durable with its newer design 

Thanks I have found the he400i for 100$ so I will get that and some new pads and get another pair of headphones too

What qualities are you looking for? Or just something different?  I don't have X2HR but have very briefly heard the X3 signature and love it.  I would say go for something V shaped, meaning high's and lows are the focus, not mid's so much.  For that I would say some beyerdynamic dt770 up to 250ohm or some dt880 250ohm.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

4 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

Thanks I have found the he400i for 100$ so I will get that and some new pads and get another pair of headphones too

I have one of the older he400i's, not the oldest one but not the newest and I have to say it's rather lackluster.  Not veiled but not stand out in any one spot.  I dailyed them for a few years and even use them as my headset even now.  They are very wide soundstage and very open with good enough imaging, but bass mid nor treble stand out in any way.  I have no idea what has been kept with the 2020 model though.  I paid $250 for them back in late 2017

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

2 minutes ago, Psittac said:

What qualities are you looking for? Or just something different?  I don't have X2HR but have very briefly heard the X3 signature and love it.  I would say go for something V shaped, meaning high's and lows are the focus, not mid's so much.  For that I would say some beyerdynamic dt770 up to 250ohm or some dt880 250ohm.

x3 is fairly different from the x2 hr sadlyor good depending on how you felt on the x2 hr. 

2 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I like flat and a bump In The highs.and now I have a 100$ left due to the he400i

Just now, rice guru said:

x3 is fairly different from the x2 hr sadlyor good depending on how you felt on the x2 hr. 

I've heard many say they are very similar, I'll have to get them then compare to my friends X3 to know for myself.  I'm sure they are in the same ballpark though

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

Just now, GOJIRA229 said:

I like flat and a bump In The highs.and now I have a 100$ left due to the he400i

well that's probably the 400i then, rather flat.  Responsive and crisp but nothing stands out.  I should get some critical A/B testing between my can's now that 400i's are in the common vocabulary.  I couldn't find any reviews of them anywhere before they were redone

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 minute ago, Psittac said:

I've heard many say they are very similar, I'll have to get them then compare to my friends X3 to know for myself.  I'm sure they are in the same ballpark though

From what I saw it is slightly different sound signature and more premium materials 

Just now, Psittac said:

pretty similar ballpark but the difference is significant enough to the sound sig that Im not a fan they made they reduced the rumbly kinda muddy bass that I liked I just wished they mad e it tighter instead of straight up reducing it. and they added more treble the differences in quality though I dont personally believe warrant the price jump  from the x2 hr right now

From what I saw it is slightly different sound signature and more premium materials 

these pads were recommended to me and I almost didn't even listen to the original pads.  Very comfy even if not memory foam and have lasted 3 years of daily use.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

7 minutes ago, Psittac said:

the 880 depending on mobo can sound a bit weak  though the 770 should be able to run on most modern mobos but will benefit from a decent amp but not super nessecary. I would still look at other easier to drive open backs though like a ad 700 or the akg 602 if this is for fps gaming mainly 

these pads were recommended to me and I almost didn't even listen to the original pads.  Very comfy even if not memory foam and have lasted 3 years of daily use.

I have already found some hybrid pads I plan to get

Just now, rice guru said:

the 880 depending on mobo can sound a bit weak  though the 770 should be able to run on most modern mobos but will benefit from a decent amp but not super nessecary. I would still look at other easier to drive open backs though like a ad 700 or the akg 602 if this is for fps gaming mainly 

he's got a higher end schiit stack, which is why I recommended the higher impedance

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

he's got a higher end schiit stack, which is why I recommended the higher impedance

at that point a 600 ohm 880 would be my pick

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

In fine with up to around 500 ohm headphones at my volume level because of the schiit stack

In fine with up to around 500 ohm headphones at my volume level because of the schiit stack

is this a asgard 2 or 3? the asgard 3 should be able to power the 600 ohm 880 loud with its power

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

at that point a 600 ohm 880 would be my pick

I have found the 990 pro cheaper in the used market so what is the difference