Turning Docp on bricks my ram

Go to solution Solved by Analog,

Do take under consideration that XMP / DOCP means that the memory "reseller," rather than the manufacturer, because most of the brands out there don't actually produce the memory chips themselves, have validated that the memory is capable of achieving a certain speed with a certain set of timings. Yet, the key thing here is that it is "capable," and not that it will actually do so. This is in fact in the fine print of any brand selling pre-binned memory. Generally anything above standard DDR4 speed which is indeed 2133MHz will depend on three things:

- memory controller of the processor,

- motherboard (memory topology)

- RAM itself

If either of these components is not up to the task, you will not be able to run the memory at the advertised speed. The best thing to do in order to assure the best case scenario is to check the motherboards QVL on what is supported and what is not. In the QVL will see pretty much every memory configuration that the motherboard manufacturer has tested and validated as working on that particular board. 

Another thing to take under consideration is that using high-density ram like 8 or 16GB sticks, especially when populating all memory dimm slots, will be a lot more taxing on both the memory controller and motherboard. Therefore, if you check the QVLs of many of the boards, certain speeds and capacities are only listed as being supported when two dimm slots are populated, or even not listed at all. 

Furthermore, even if by some chance all is well with the controller, RAM and motherboard, XMP only sets specific values for a handful of settings. This means that the board needs to automatically adjust the rest. However, some boards aren't as smart as others and incorrectly set values which will cause the system to be unstable or outright not to post. In order to combat this you will need to do some checking of what memory chips your memory kit is using and subsequently which values react best with these memory chips. For example Samsung B-die behaves differently Hynix CJR/CFR. PCBs revisions of memory also matters, but not to that extent, at least not with such low speeds. 

All that being said, from what you are describing what I have mentioned above seems that is exactly what is going on in your case. So in order to actually run the memory on the advertised sped you will need to do some tinkering in the BIOS and play around with the settings. Loosening the timings and bumping up the voltage generally does the trick. Anything below 1.5V is fine for DDR4 for daily use, assuming you have decent case airflow. Still, like I said, do your research as not all memory chips like being overvolted beyond 1.35V. 

Hi there, I have a system with a 3700X and 3600mhz gskill trident neo ram. When I set docp to profile one it boots into windows and everything is fine. Then when I restart the system, the system doesn't boot and on my debug LEDs the DRAM led is orange. I usually have to take the cmos battery and ram out and put them back in to get it working but the ram speed defaults to 2133. Any idea on how I can fix this? Any help would be appreciated

Do take under consideration that XMP / DOCP means that the memory "reseller," rather than the manufacturer, because most of the brands out there don't actually produce the memory chips themselves, have validated that the memory is capable of achieving a certain speed with a certain set of timings. Yet, the key thing here is that it is "capable," and not that it will actually do so. This is in fact in the fine print of any brand selling pre-binned memory. Generally anything above standard DDR4 speed which is indeed 2133MHz will depend on three things:

- RAM itself

If either of these components is not up to the task, you will not be able to run the memory at the advertised speed. The best thing to do in order to assure the best case scenario is to check the motherboards QVL on what is supported and what is not. In the QVL will see pretty much every memory configuration that the motherboard manufacturer has tested and validated as working on that particular board. 

Another thing to take under consideration is that using high-density ram like 8 or 16GB sticks, especially when populating all memory dimm slots, will be a lot more taxing on both the memory controller and motherboard. Therefore, if you check the QVLs of many of the boards, certain speeds and capacities are only listed as being supported when two dimm slots are populated, or even not listed at all. 

Furthermore, even if by some chance all is well with the controller, RAM and motherboard, XMP only sets specific values for a handful of settings. This means that the board needs to automatically adjust the rest. However, some boards aren't as smart as others and incorrectly set values which will cause the system to be unstable or outright not to post. In order to combat this you will need to do some checking of what memory chips your memory kit is using and subsequently which values react best with these memory chips. For example Samsung B-die behaves differently Hynix CJR/CFR. PCBs revisions of memory also matters, but not to that extent, at least not with such low speeds. 

All that being said, from what you are describing what I have mentioned above seems that is exactly what is going on in your case. So in order to actually run the memory on the advertised sped you will need to do some tinkering in the BIOS and play around with the settings. Loosening the timings and bumping up the voltage generally does the trick. Anything below 1.5V is fine for DDR4 for daily use, assuming you have decent case airflow. Still, like I said, do your research as not all memory chips like being overvolted beyond 1.35V. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

3 minutes ago, Analog said:

- RAM itself

Thank you so much, how would I tinker with the ram in the bios exactly, I've never manually overclocked and don't want to mess up

7 minutes ago, MTrencovski said:

Thank you so much, how would I tinker with the ram in the bios exactly, I've never manually overclocked and don't want to mess up

When it comes to RAM, overclocking is not as straightforward as is with the CPUs. So, you being a beginner, my recommendation is to check out the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen -> https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ It will give you a suggested set of values that should work. The way I would do it, just to be sure is to always use  the "BAD BIN" option from the drop down menu for the memory and "Calculate the Safe Settings." However, as I said in the previous post, you will need to find out what are the memory chips on your sticks.  The program will need to know that in order to do the calculations for the most appropriate values. You can do this most of the times with CPU-Z by going to  the memory tab. If that doesn't work, as some manufacturers remove that information, you can try Thaiphoon Burner -> http://www.softnology.biz/ When you have all of the timings for the speed you desire with the DRAM Calculator (3600MHz), just take a couple of photos with your phone of the values and go to the BIOS. Depending on your board the settings might be in one category or several. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

32 minutes ago, Analog said:

When it comes to RAM, overclocking is not as straightforward as is with the CPUs. So, you being a beginner, my recommendation is to check out the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen -> https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ It will give you a suggested set of values that should work. The way I would do it, just to be sure is to always use  the "BAD BIN" option from the drop down menu for the memory and "Calculate the Safe Settings." However, as I said in the previous post, you will need to find out what are the memory chips on your sticks.  The program will need to know that in order to do the calculations for the most appropriate values. You can do this most of the times with CPU-Z by going to  the memory tab. If that doesn't work, as some manufacturers remove that information, you can try Thaiphoon Burner -> http://www.softnology.biz/ When you have all of the timings for the speed you desire with the DRAM Calculator (3600MHz), just take a couple of photos with your phone of the values and go to the BIOS. Depending on your board the settings might be in one category or several. 

Ok so I checked CPU-Z and it says DRAM manufacturer is Samsung and the timings of my ram are 16-16-16-36. It also says its rated to run at 1.35v  

38 minutes ago, MTrencovski said:

Ok so I checked CPU-Z and it says DRAM manufacturer is Samsung and the timings of my ram are 16-16-16-36. It also says its rated to run at 1.35v  

I would do 16-17-17-17-38 at 1.35V and see if that will be fine

1 hour ago, Analog said:

I would do 16-17-17-17-38 at 1.35V and see if that will be fine

Tried it.. Still not working, getting a 0d code from my motherboard

8 minutes ago, MTrencovski said:

Tried it.. Still not working, getting a 0d code from my motherboard

What motherboard?

A system specs list would be helpful.

You're fighting a cpu memory controller on this one,, may require a touch of memory training.

Never the less, the IMC is capable of 3200mhz and anything beyond that is going to be hit or miss. 

So what you do, is enable XMP. 

Be sure the timings match in the SPD menu in the bios.

If not, change them manually, one important one is the Trc.

Then manually set power down mode to disabled in the sub timings menu.

After that, manually set the Dram frequency to 3200mhz.

Also, you can manually set the memory to 1.35v just to be sure.

In addition, look for the voltage CPU SOC. Set this to 1.08v.

F10 save and restart.

GL

15 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

What motherboard?

A system specs list would be helpful.

You're fighting a cpu memory controller on this one,, may require a touch of memory training.

Never the less, the IMC is capable of 3200mhz and anything beyond that is going to be hit or miss. 

So what you do, is enable XMP. 

Be sure the timings match in the SPD menu in the bios.

If not, change them manually, one important one is the Trc.

Then manually set power down mode to disabled in the sub timings menu.

After that, manually set the Dram frequency to 3200mhz.

Also, you can manually set the memory to 1.35v just to be sure.

In addition, look for the voltage CPU SOC. Set this to 1.08v.

F10 save and restart.

GL

Asus B550-E motherboard. Did some research https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/hgj379/asus_b550e_cant_do_3600mhz_ram/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I will try this, thank you