BSOD only seems to happen on cold boot?

Silverbackk

Hi all, My gaming pc has just randomly started to BSOD on start up. It first started around 4/5 days ago. I didn't think much of it at the time. It happened again today on start up so I've decided to look into it further. I tried to get it to happen again by shutting down and starting up which I tried over 10 times and it would not BSOD. So I thought I would try shutting down, then powering off and on at the mains, then turning it on. This triggered the BSOD although after testing this further it can take 3/4 cold boots for it to happen. 

I built the PC back in may and it has ran flawless ever since. I must note the CPU is overclocked to 5.1ghz all core which could be the possible cause however if it was the problem why would it only happen on cold start-up and not crash when underload in games etc?

I treated myself to a new steel series arctis 7 headset for Christmas which is the only change in peripherals/hardware I've done in recently. I set the headset up on the day before the first BSOD. 

Some of the codes I've been getting (seem completely random):

ATTEMPED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY.

REGISTRY_FILTER_DRIVER_EXCEPTION.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. (this one has came up the most)

SYTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

Also had this message come up when shutting down: Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe - Application Error.

I'm going to run HW info for a bit while playing some games to see if it throws up any errors regarding the CPU overclock.

Any advice/suggestions are much appreciated.

Build:

CPU: i7 10700k 

Cooler: nzxt x73 360mm

GPU: Evga rtx 2080 super ftw 3 ultra

Motherboard: Gigabyte z490 master

PSU: corsair hx750i platinum 

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000mhz

Case: nzxt 710i

Storage: 2x1tb hdd, Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb, Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb, wd 120gb sata ssd and Samsung 850 evo 250gb (boot drive).

Is the RAM OCed over XMP spec?

And try re-seating all power cables, maybe also the GPU and RAM?
It might be a bad contact that after heating up expands just enough to make contact again.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

All of those errors point out to a memory-related issue. If you have XMP / DOCP profiles enabled, remove them and let the memory run at its stock speed for a couple of days. See if that will resolve the issues you are having.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

35 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Is the RAM OCed over XMP spec?

And try re-seating all power cables, maybe also the GPU and RAM?
It might be a bad contact that after heating up expands just enough to make contact again.

No ram isn't overclocked over xmp. Yeah ill give that a try, thanks. I think its most likely a ram problem, the ram and psu came from my old PC which is a couple years older than everything else. 

33 minutes ago, Analog said:

All of those errors point out to a memory-related issue. If you have XMP / DOCP profiles enabled, remove them and let the memory run at its stock speed for a couple of days. See if that will resolve the issues you are having.  

Yeah I think its ram too. I have XMP enabled so ill give it a try, thanks. 

So I’ve reseated the ram and made sure all cables were pushed in properly etc and it is still happening. I thought it had fixed it initially, It started over 15 times fine when it was “warm” but after leaving it 20 minutes and then booting it up it will bsod on the second or third try. I’m thinking possibly the cpu OC has become unstable but I’ve ran HW info for 2 days now whilst gaming etc and there is no errors whatsoever. I’m going to try going back to a restore point from a week ago before this started and see if that works.

5 hours ago, Silverbackk said:

So I’ve reseated the ram and made sure all cables were pushed in properly etc and it is still happening. I thought it had fixed it initially, It started over 15 times fine when it was “warm” but after leaving it 20 minutes and then booting it up it will bsod on the second or third try. I’m thinking possibly the cpu OC has become unstable but I’ve ran HW info for 2 days now whilst gaming etc and there is no errors whatsoever. I’m going to try going back to a restore point from a week ago before this started and see if that works.

Remove all OC ecpecialy on RAM (That means no XMP! stock speeds).

If it happens still, then theres is something (partialy) broken if it works fine its most likely a bad OC.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 hour ago, HanZie82 said:

Remove all OC ecpecialy on RAM (That means no XMP! stock speeds).

If it happens still, then theres is something (partialy) broken if it works fine its most likely a bad OC.

I think I've found out what my problem is. I gave my PC a quick clean last week and I had accidently left my wireless phone charger tucked in underneath directly below my hdd's. I've moved and tested it and it seems to have fixed the problem. Also prior to this I ran prime 95 for 2 hours and had no errors or bsod so that ruled out the OC being unstable, did an optional windows intel driver update (didn't fix it), Tried to do a system restore back to a week ago but the restore failed and reinstalled gpu drivers using ddu. 

Ill know for sure over the next couple of days if it has worked but looks to be promising so far and yes I do feel stupid;)

• 3 weeks later...

My friend, I am having the same problem.  I'm sad, it's my first gaming pc.  I reinstalled windows and it worked for a month, now the problem has returned.  I have suspicions about the GPU driver (RTX 3070), because I reinstalled the driver from safe mode and it was fixed for a few days.  It may be the ram memory as I read here.  Could your problem be solved?

My heart is broken :(

On 1/18/2021 at 3:45 PM, K11rM4st3r said:

My friend, I am having the same problem.  I'm sad, it's my first gaming pc.  I reinstalled windows and it worked for a month, now the problem has returned.  I have suspicions about the GPU driver (RTX 3070), because I reinstalled the driver from safe mode and it was fixed for a few days.  It may be the ram memory as I read here.  Could your problem be solved?

My heart is broken :(

Try reseating ram and gpu and reseat all power cables. I very much doubt you had the same problem as me. My issue was having a wireless phone charger under the pc, moved it and no more bsod's. 

Incorrect Overclocks can wear out hardware, and very fast too. 

I'd try to reset *everything* leave it at default, no XMP or anything, load "optimized default settings" (or some such) and see if it improves. 

if it doesn't try a new PSU - because that very much sounds like PSU (probably worn out, degraded or damaged) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity