Good Game Engines with C++ and some Cryengine questions

Henry

1. Can I use CryEngine 3 without ever having to use Lua? Seems kind of stupid to learn a whole language just for CryEngine...Currently learning C++ atm and I don't to have to learn Lua to use CryEngine 3.

2. What are some good game engines that are easy to work with for a beginner? Preferably one that supports using C++ and has great graphics and has alot of features that make making an FPS game easy, like CryEngine.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Lua is scripting right? So it's not entirely a new language. If I'm not mistaken it's based off C++.

Unity is a good one and same with Hero Engine. Skyline is a new game engine that's relatively new and ++ based as well. You can get the beta for free http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/SDN/

I've heard about unity, seems pretty decent. Wouldn't be hard to learn to use Unity too from the hundreds of tutorials online.

I can use C++ in Unity right?

To a certain extent, yes. It's best if you use the language and Unity's base script in conjunction with another. 

So I can technically make a game purely with C++?

What is Unity's base script? Stupid engines..why not just use C++...why do they have to use random languages..

that's how most engines work. the core is C++ while the actual interaction is some kind of scripting language.

that's how most engines work. the core is C++ while the actual interaction is some kind of scripting language.

Why??? I just want to learn only C++ damn it..I already have to learn Java for the ap comp science a test next year..

What is Unity's base script? Stupid engines..why not just use C++...why do they have to use random languages..

Unity only uses C#, JavaScript and Boo. You can't use C++.

You're most likely not going to find a full game engine where you can use C++. If you're that set on only using that 1 language, look for game libraries, not engines. Such as Box2D for physics SDL for graphics if it's 2D and build your own engine.

You don't need a game engine. You can make one from scratch if you don't want to learn how to script.

@Henry Get this book. http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-C-Through-Game-Programming/dp/1435457420

I used it for a while and it's extremely helpful. Tells you how to use the code and why and where you would need it in a game. 

Making my own engine? Yeah...Im just gonna use Unity or CryEngine. :P

Thanks! I like that LTT affiliate tag at the end :P. I might buy it, I get tons of amazon gift cards a month.

Unity only uses C#, JavaScript and Boo. You can't use C++.

You're most likely not going to find a full game engine where you can use C++. If you're that set on only using that 1 language, look for game libraries, not engines. Such as Box2D for physics SDL for graphics if it's 2D and build your own engine.

You can't use C++ at all? @ONOTech You said unity would work with C++ :(

I'm not that set on using just C++, I'm just really lazy :P. I'll probably end up learning some scripting language though.

Unity uses JavaScript and C#, it also uses some other weird one.

Making my own engine? Yeah...Im just gonna use Unity or CryEngine. :P

Thanks! I like that LTT affiliate tag at the end :P. I might buy it, I get tons of amazon gift cards a month.

you dont have to necessarily make the whole thing yourself. find parts for one and piece them together. like for rendering, ogre3d would be good. physics, you can use bullet physics or nvidia physx if you are registered developer. just search around for different parts that go into a game engine. some of the things you may have to write yourself sure. but not the entire thing

http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/

http://www.ogre3d.org/

search github too.

Well thanks guys for the help with cryengine.

Got any more engine suggestions that uses C++? 

I think UnityScript is the other. Not as a base language, but as one of the scripts it works with.

I thought it did, I guess I was wrong. :P I get # and ++ mixed up a lot.

UnityScript is their version of JavaScript, the third language is Boo.

That makes sense. I'm a bit rusty on languages.

This is off topic but..I'm gonna creep you out now.

You were born 3 days before I was.... (I saw your profile)

Well thanks guys for the help with cryengine.

Got any more engine suggestions that uses C++? 

Frostbite Engine uses C++ but I don't think you can use it unless you work for DICE.....

Frostbite Engine uses C++ but I don't think you can use it unless you work for DICE.....

Yeah, I wish I worked for DICE..I would fix all their damn problems with Battlefield 4 :P

If you're masochistic, and want to link all parts of the engine together check out Ogre3D. I believe Torchlight was built on that. Alone, it's 100% through your C++ IDE

Do not get me wrong, but if you don't understand why they use scripting languages I think you still have a lot to learn before doing anything practical.

Do not get me wrong, but if you don't understand why they use scripting languages I think you still have a lot to learn before doing anything practical.

Agreed

Much info 

I know that, that's why I'm learning now but I need to know what I need to learn :P

Woah. It's not often that I'm older than the forum users on here :3 same year?

yup. Sophomore too.

I'm not moving to Sweden just to work for Dice...Ew.

Watch me become a senior software engineer at Google :P

I'm not moving to Sweden just to work for Dice...Ew.

Watch me become a senior software engineer at Google :P

They need people for their studio in Los Angelas.