Upgrading my PC. What should I get first? A new processor or a new graphics card?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
3 minutes ago, Loven Hale said:

If i get the 1660 super first, will it bottleneck the i3 too much?

you'd see a much better performance performance increase by adding a graphics card than a new CPU in this case.

In the future you could save up to get an i7 if possible, wouldn't really recommend an 8th or 9th gen i5 unless it was really cheap.

Hi! A new member here.

I got a not so new PC from a friend. It has been rarely used and still performs so well. The setup is an Intel Core i3-8100 with it's stock cooler, a 16gb of ram, and a mobo of Asus H310m-k r2.0. It also has a 120gb Kingston SSD and a 1Tb Seagate HDD.

I'm planning on upgrading this rig to somehow run some of the demanding games that we do have today specially COD: Warzone. What i have in mind is upgrade it to an i5-9600k and pair it with a GTX 1660 Super. From the current setup that I have, will it be worth it? Can't buy the two at once so I might need to choose what to get first. Is it a new cpu or have a good gpu? If i get the 1660 super first, will it bottleneck the i3 too much? I have no choice but to stick with an Intel cpu because of the chipset my mobo have and also, I do a lot of photo and video editing so Intel is good enough for me. Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.

Warning cod warzone already struggles on a 9600k sooooo. I would just get a gpu and then sell the system to get a completely new one.

3 minutes ago, Loven Hale said:

If i get the 1660 super first, will it bottleneck the i3 too much?

you'd see a much better performance performance increase by adding a graphics card than a new CPU in this case.

In the future you could save up to get an i7 if possible, wouldn't really recommend an 8th or 9th gen i5 unless it was really cheap.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

generally you'll get more out of a new gpu, but it'll always depend on the game about the cpu "bottleneck". A lot of shooting games seem badly optimized and often use only 1 core... but you'd still be better off with a new gpu first imo... you can still get the cpu upgrade later, or don't play games with poor multi threading (that's what I do out of principle lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Loven Hale said:

Hi! A new member here.

I got a not so new PC from a friend. It has been rarely used and still performs so well. The setup is an Intel Core i3-8100 with it's stock cooler, a 16gb of ram, and a mobo of Asus H310m-k r2.0. It also has a 120gb Kingston SSD and a 1Tb Seagate HDD.

I'm planning on upgrading this rig to somehow run some of the demanding games that we do have today specially COD: Warzone. What i have in mind is upgrade it to an i5-9600k and pair it with a GTX 1660 Super. From the current setup that I have, will it be worth it? Can't buy the two at once so I might need to choose what to get first. Is it a new cpu or have a good gpu? If i get the 1660 super first, will it bottleneck the i3 too much? I have no choice but to stick with an Intel cpu because of the chipset my mobo have and also, I do a lot of photo and video editing so Intel is good enough for me. Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.

Do you not have a graphics card? Unless I read that wrong, you should upgrade your GPU. The used market is really the only place to get a GPU right now (at decent prices).

A used 1070/1060 would be a good choice. Those go for around 200 and 140

geometry is hard
b550 > x570