XMP (DOCP) on RAM causes (some) games to crash?!

CorneliousJD

Long story short, was one of the lucky few to get a retail priced RTX 3080 and Ryzen 9 5950X ((hang in there my dudes, they ARE out there!), bought 64 GB of Corsair Vengance 4 x 16 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

When I apply the XMP profile in my Asus motherboard for 3200 it causes CoD:Black Ops Cold War and Red Dead Redemption 2 to crash after anywhere from 3-15 minutes or so.

Setting XMP mode back to just "Auto" makes things stable it seems, was able to play for extended play sessions w/ no crashes now.

But Auto makes the RAM run at 2133 Mhz. Ouch :(

I re-setup the XMP and set it to 3200 but then made the target memory frequency 3133, and that seems table (haven't had too much time to test it more thuroughly yet)

The rest of the settings I left set at what XMP provided, which is as follows.

I would LIKE to get my RAM back to 3200Mhz though, but obvioulsy not if it causes crashes. 

Any advice on what I should do here in this case? Thanks in advance!!!

CAS to 16

Trcdrd to 20

Trcdwr to 20

DRAM RAS PRE Time to 20

DRAM RAS ACT Time to 38

DRAM Votlage to 1.35000

Need full specs here ... (read the following). In the meanwhile update your motherboard BIOS to the latest.

Apologies, here's the full spec list (including PSU wattage!)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PTWLp2

BIOS version is 2311 on the motherboard.

All drivers are up to date.

3133 Mhz clock on the RAM seems to be stable, but wondering why 3200 Mhz, which the RAM is sold as, causes crashes, and if there's anything I can tweak in BIOS to get a stable 3200 Mhz. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, CorneliousJD said:

Apologies, here's the full spec list (including PSU wattage!)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PTWLp2

BIOS version is 2311 on the motherboard.

All drivers are up to date.

3133 Mhz clock on the RAM seems to be stable, but wondering why 3200 Mhz, which the RAM is sold as, causes crashes, and if there's anything I can tweak in BIOS to get a stable 3200 Mhz. 

Thanks!

Technically XMP is deemed an overclock and the fact that the RAM is tested as successfully running at those speeds it ultimately depends on the motherboard and the memory controller of your processor. 

Also, I see from your parts list that you are running 4x16GB memory sticks thus populating all DIMM slots. This is possibly the worst type of configuration when going for high frequency and tight timings (high-density RAM modules and having all slots populated). 

What you can do in order to get the speed back to 3200MHz is to loosen the timings or bumping the voltage to 1.4V or 1.45V, possibly even both. Still, keep in mind that if you loosen the timings too much, it would be better to run the RAM at 3133MHz with the current timing config. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

13 minutes ago, Analog said:

Technically XMP is deemed an overclock and the fact that the RAM is tested as successfully running at those speeds it ultimately depends on the motherboard and the memory controller of your processor. 

Also, I see from your parts list that you are running 4x16GB memory sticks thus populating all DIMM slots. This is possibly the worst type of configuration when going for high frequency and tight timings (high-density RAM modules and having all slots populated). 

What you can do in order to get the speed back to 3200MHz is to loosen the timings or bumping the voltage to 1.4V or 1.45V, possibly even both. Still, keep in mind that if you loosen the timings too much, it would be better to run the RAM at 3133MHz with the current timing config. 

Thanks, I went with this config because the RAM was priced right.

I use this primarily as a work PC first and foremost so high RAM density was a must. I was going to regularly use close to 32GB of RAM during a work day and didn't want to run into issues later, so I bought 64GB at the start. 

I can start with trying to bump up the voltages, it's at 1.35 now, so I'll try 1.4 and 1.45 and see if that fixes it at 3200Mhz.

If voltages doesn't work to may 3200 stable, I may end up just leaving it at 3133 then instead based on this comment.

Is there a better way to test than me playing a few rounds of Call of Duty? LOL

I'd like a more definitive test to know if it's actually working correctly. 

Thanks agian for all the help, much appreciated!

39 minutes ago, CorneliousJD said:

Thanks, I went with this config because the RAM was priced right.

I use this primarily as a work PC first and foremost so high RAM density was a must. I was going to regularly use close to 32GB of RAM during a work day and didn't want to run into issues later, so I bought 64GB at the start. 

I can start with trying to bump up the voltages, it's at 1.35 now, so I'll try 1.4 and 1.45 and see if that fixes it at 3200Mhz.

If voltages doesn't work to may 3200 stable, I may end up just leaving it at 3133 then instead based on this comment.

Is there a better way to test than me playing a few rounds of Call of Duty? LOL

I'd like a more definitive test to know if it's actually working correctly. 

Thanks agian for all the help, much appreciated!

Yes there is. You can do a couple of runs of memtest. Or, something which I personally do when I want to test RAM after overclocking to use the built in stress test in Aida64. I like it because it is quite versatile allowing you the option to stress test only the memory. Usually after running it for about 3-4h you should have a pretty decent indication if it will be stable or not. Alternatively, Intel Burn Test is also good in catching memory errors fast. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

6 minutes ago, Analog said:

Yes there is. You can do a couple of runs of memtest. Or, something which I personally do when I want to test RAM after overclocking to use the built in stress test in Aida64. I like it because it is quite versatile allowing you the option to stress test only the memory. Usually after running it for about 3-4h you should have a pretty decent indication if it will be stable or not. Alternatively, Intel Burn Test is also good in catching memory errors fast. 

Excellent, thanks for all the options. I'll work on this tonight :D

On 12/27/2020 at 6:19 AM, CorneliousJD said:

target memory frequency 3133, and that seems table

so what is the problem then? do you *really* believe you would be able to tell the difference to "3200" ? 

And FYI some boards are weird with the numbers and if it runs at 133 stable that's fine and there's zero reason and little hope to make it run at an arbitrary 000 which it likely wasn't designed for. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

so what is the problem then? do you *really* believe you would be able to tell the difference to "3200" ? 

And FYI some boards are weird with the numbers and if it runs at 133 stable that's fine and there's zero reason and little hope to make it run at an arbitrary 000 which it likely wasn't designed for. 

I mean, I purchased 3200 RAM, not 3133 RAM, and the rest of my components are top-end options. What do you mean that it "wasn't designed for" it?

1 minute ago, CorneliousJD said:

I mean, I purchased 3200 RAM, not 3133 RAM, and the rest of my components are top-end options. What do you mean that it "wasn't designed for" it?

some motherboards are made like this, simply. And 3200 RAM isn't "top end" lol. But anyway as I said I wouldn't try too hard, it's fine at 3133 you won't notice a difference (it's within margin of error with benchmarks as well) and could even perform worse *if* you ever get it to run at 3200... because of how some motherboards are designed. 

On 12/27/2020 at 6:19 AM, CorneliousJD said:

I re-setup the XMP and set it to 3200 but then made the target memory frequency 3133

basically this is all you need to know. 

runs at 3133 = good 

doesn't run at 3200 = bad 

makes sense ? 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

3200 RAM isn't "top end" lol.

I did say all OTHER components are top-end.

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

basically this is all you need to know. 

runs at 3133 = good 

doesn't run at 3200 = bad 

makes sense ? 🤷🏼

Also I don't appreciate the condesending nature of your comments. 

I am trying to educate myself beyond just this "3133 = good" "3200 = bad" 

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2020 at 9:36 PM, CorneliousJD said:

Also I don't appreciate the condesending nature of your comments. 

I am trying to educate myself beyond just this "3133 = good" "3200 = bad" 

Sorry about bringing up a 2 month old post, but I too have this problem. I have 3200MHz RAM that has been fine for years, in every application, every game. Only in Cold War does it give me "Fatal Errors" and crash to desktop. I have had to remove the DOCP for me to be able to play this. Not sure if this is relevant also, but these crashes only happened in Zombies mode.

2 hours ago, CSwords said:

Sorry about bringing up a 2 month old post, but I too have this problem. I have 3200MHz RAM that has been fine for years, in every application, every game. Only in Cold War does it give me "Fatal Errors" and crash to desktop. I have had to remove the DOCP for me to be able to play this. Not sure if this is relevant also, but these crashes only happened in Zombies mode.

I had the same thing in Call of Duty Cold War, so instead of disabling DOCP enitrely though I just lowered it to 3133MHz and it's been fine and happily stable since then. Slightly lower timings for staiblity ended up being the solution for me.

23 hours ago, CorneliousJD said:

I had the same thing in Call of Duty Cold War, so instead of disabling DOCP enitrely though I just lowered it to 3133MHz and it's been fine and happily stable since then. Slightly lower timings for staiblity ended up being the solution for me.

Yeah it's a shame, but seems to me that it has no other way to be looked at than bad game code. It only affects that game for me (so far out of ones I own). I do not know what would cause such an issue, but as you have done so, I shall also try setting my RAM to 3133MHz and see if that resolves it. I'll also try setting it so that I can get 1:1 with the Infinity Fabric speed too for that performance boost on the CPU. I will hopefully have the time to do this within the next couple of days and will report back to you my findings if you like.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:45 AM, CSwords said:

Yeah it's a shame, but seems to me that it has no other way to be looked at than bad game code. It only affects that game for me (so far out of ones I own). I do not know what would cause such an issue, but as you have done so, I shall also try setting my RAM to 3133MHz and see if that resolves it. I'll also try setting it so that I can get 1:1 with the Infinity Fabric speed too for that performance boost on the CPU. I will hopefully have the time to do this within the next couple of days and will report back to you my findings if you like.

Definately let me know how it goes - if nothing else I'm curious if you have the same resolution and whatnot. 

Also FWIW I ran memtest overnight on 3200 Mhz and it failed every time (but took forever to fail, had to let it run for hours) 

have repeated the same test 6 times now on 3133Mhz anda no failures on Memtest. 

• 1 year later...

whoa i've got the same issue here, after changing the motherboard