Windows 10 boots up in 1 minute even with beefy specs

kriptcs
Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,

Look up your model of SSD and see if it has a DRAM cache or not, without DRAM SSDs can sometimes be slower than HDDs.

Greetings! I've noticed recently just how slow my pc boots up even thought I have good specs, and I am just wondering why..

I have

R9 3900

RTX 2070

16 GB Ram Dual Channel (slots 1 and 3, the ones recommended) @ 3000mhz

The OS is on an  Sata SSD

All drivers are up to date

Ryzen 9 7900x w/ LIAN LI Galahad 240  +   MSI RTX 3060
32GB @ 4800 mhz Corsair Vengeance + ASUS TUF X670e-PLUS

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

10 minutes ago, kriptcs said:

Greetings! I've noticed recently just how slow my pc boots up even thought I have good specs, and I am just wondering why..

I have

R9 3900

RTX 2070

16 GB Ram Dual Channel (slots 1 and 3, the ones recommended) @ 3000mhz

The OS is on an  Sata SSD

All drivers are up to date

Your ram should be in 2 and 4 not 1 and 3.

You probably have tons of stuff loading in the background. Go into task manager and check what applications are launching on startup, you want everything but MS stuff and antivirus as well as maybe your audio driver utility in there, the rest can go. Also check windows task scheduler for tasks that launch every time you logon. Those would be software updating tasks for example as well as chat tools, rgb lighting controls etc.

This has been known about the current AMD platform for a bit, my x570 boards especially take almost as long for fast boot as a regular boot, which is pretty ridiculous. I think some of the bios updates had better boot times, but I'm not sure what board you're even running so I'd look into how stable a BIOS build is before committing to it and avoid updating to a 5000 optimized bios with a 3000 series or under unless other sources advise otherwise

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Your ram should be in 2 and 4 not 1 and 3

I agree this would be the norm, but I advise you check your manual as well or let us know you're board so we can make sense of the manual for you if that's preferrable

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Your ram should be in 2 and 4 not 1 and 3.

You probably have tons of stuff loading in the background. Go into task manager and check what applications are launching on startup, you want everything but MS stuff and antivirus as well as maybe your audio driver utility in there, the rest can go. Also check windows task scheduler for tasks that launch every time you logon. Those would be software updating tasks for example as well as chat tools, rgb lighting controls etc.

I have 3 apps on start up: flux, razer synapse and  vibrance GUI (small app for setting the vibrance). As far as task scheduler, I have 3-4 apps which I don't think make a difference

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

4 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

This has been known about the current AMD platform for a bit, my x570 boards especially take almost as long for fast boot as a regular boot, which is pretty ridiculous. I think some of the bios updates had better boot times, but I'm not sure what board you're even running so I'd look into how stable a BIOS build is before committing to it and avoid updating to a 5000 optimized bios with a 3000 series or under unless other sources advise otherwise

My brother has the r5 3600 and his pc boots in about 20 seconds. Same operating system, same amount of ram, but his os is probably even more cluttered, having like 10 start up apps. I have an x370 pro

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

I guess the question is, assuming you meant the Asus Prime X370-Pro, are you using the latest bios with pcie gen 4 support for 3000 series processors (5216) or did you go with the most up to date version for better ram stability instead (5603). If you do update your bios and can swing it I'd have the PC running off a UPS battery backup, bricked boards suck.

Is your brother's motherboard the same board? I only ask because I've got 2 different x570 board models and a b550 board and each of them have their own quirks when it comes to startup times among other things. I imagine the same was true for the prior generations.

Also, looking through the manual once again Applefreak is right, your ram should be in slot 2 and 4 if you only have 2 sticks according to the manual, which is fairly typical for this configuration

edit: just a sidenote, but having a lot of usb devices hooked up will make boot times longer, especially if you don't turn off usb initialization and fast boot on in the BIOS advanced settings. With a weird RAM slot setup the system may be taking more time during the initial POST memory check

27 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

I guess the question is, assuming you meant the Asus Prime X370-Pro, are you using the latest bios with pcie gen 4 support for 3000 series processors (5216) or did you go with the most up to date version for better ram stability instead (5603). If you do update your bios and can swing it I'd have the PC running off a UPS battery backup, bricked boards suck.

Is your brother's motherboard the same board? I only ask because I've got 2 different x570 board models and a b550 board and each of them have their own quirks when it comes to startup times among other things. I imagine the same was true for the prior generations.

Also, looking through the manual once again Applefreak is right, your ram should be in slot 2 and 4 if you only have 2 sticks according to the manual, which is fairly typical for this configuration

edit: just a sidenote, but having a lot of usb devices hooked up will make boot times longer, especially if you don't turn off usb initialization and fast boot on in the BIOS advanced settings. With a weird RAM slot setup the system may be taking more time during the initial POST memory check

Yeah well, my brother uses a b450 from asus. And I actually have no idea what bios version I am using, I remember giving it an update when I upgraded to 3rd gen ryzen but that's about it. As far as ram goes, I will switch them right now and see what difference it makes.

I have 3 usb devices connected, so I doubt that is the problem

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

3 hours ago, kriptcs said:

I have 3 apps on start up: flux, razer synapse and  vibrance GUI (small app for setting the vibrance). As far as task scheduler, I have 3-4 apps which I don't think make a difference

There could be more applications opening that aren't listed in task manager. 

How full is your ssd? I think Linus said that if you pass a certain percentage that it could become slower than a hard drive. 

Look up your model of SSD and see if it has a DRAM cache or not, without DRAM SSDs can sometimes be slower than HDDs.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

19 hours ago, fpo said:

There could be more applications opening that aren't listed in task manager. 

How full is your ssd? I think Linus said that if you pass a certain percentage that it could become slower than a hard drive. 

I have about 13GB left from 120

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

16 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

After some googling, I think I can confidently say I do not have DRAM cache, since it's a WD, cheapest I could find at the time

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

4 hours ago, kriptcs said:

After some googling, I think I can confidently say I do not have DRAM cache, since it's a WD, cheapest I could find at the time

Yep, that would do it. It's basically like using the internal soldered SSD on those HP Stream netbooks.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv