What to look for when buying a mined GPU? And how to also avoid it.

Abdullah Bhutta

Hi Guys,

What are the things that one should look for when buying a used GPU and how to check if the GPU has been used in mining or not.

Any Help would be appreciated.!

If it's been kept at a low temperature, cleaned regularly, and is being sold at a discount (compared to cards that weren't mined on) I'd just say go for it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If it's been kept at a low temperature, cleaned regularly, and is being sold at a discount (compared to cards that weren't mined on) I'd just say go for it.

Ok. What are the things that indicate that the GPU is used for mining?

And who could one like me avoid the mined gpu?

7 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Ok. What are the things that indicate that the GPU is used for mining?

And who could one like me avoid the mined gpu?

A seller worth buying from will very obviously state they have been mined on.

You shouldn't buy from a scummy seller regardless of whether it's a mining card or not.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

A seller worth buying from will very obviously state they have been mined on.

You shouldn't buy from a scummy seller regardless of whether it's a mining card or not.

If i happens to buy one from the scammers and he scam me, so how will i know that the card has been mined or not? because he says that you can check everything here in the shop

1 hour ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

If i happens to buy one from the scammers and he scam me, so how will i know that the card has been mined or not? because he says that you can check everything here in the shop

You won't know.  If I took a card and mined on it 24/7 and abused it and I had another card that had very light use, and I cleaned them both up and they both worked.  You would never know which one was which, they would look the same and act the same.  Just one of the cards might have a much shorter life than the other.  

To know for sure you would need to deprocess the components and do some parametric analysis on them to see which one had gates and cell walls breaking down more.  At which point you destroyed the parts to figure it out.

Unless the card was flashed for a specific bios that miners use, you wont know.

Use is use, it doesnt matter if it was mined on or not. You gaming on it will be much worse. 

Normally ifs just ignorance when people ask about it. Had a guy ask me if I mined on my titan black's before I sold them one. Which really shows how little the mases know. 

If its a good deal get it. Unless its a cheap card like msi, seem to have the most fan failures.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

there's simply no way for you to know... and most miners won't tell you because they know it would push the price down... 

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Unless the card was flashed for a specific bios that miners use, you wont know.

basically this. 

Also a bit of common sense but general rule is buying a used gpu is risky. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity