MSI Tomahawk B550 - question regarding USB ports

aduman
Go to solution Solved by -rascal-,
15 minutes ago, aduman said:

So it seems for my use cases B550 will be more than enough? My only actual concern was the USB thing. I'm grabbing a 3600/3700 soon than maybe upgrading to a 5600x in the future. The PCI stuff doesn't really seem like it'd be a problem for me in the near future. It just the annoying back I/O the B550 Tomahawk has that's gotten me all confused. It has 2 LAN ports which I'd never need and I don't like paying for stuff I wouldn't ever need lol seems to be the case with PCI-E 4 lanes on the X570 board as well though. Which one would you go for if you were me?

Thanks for the help so far, really appreciate it!

The difference in rear I/O and the number of USB ports is pretty minimal.

I would just stick with the B550 board.

The X570 is actually the older board, so it doesn't have the second Ethernet port.

More and more boards are now coming with a second Ethernet port.

Before, standard is 1Gb Ethernet...but not with optical fiber hitting mainstream, people are now able to EXCEED 1Gb speed at their very home.

Plus, NAS and stuff at home also more common than...say 10 years ago.

In some cases, it's just marketing too... " AmaZinG 2.5 Gb Ethernet! WooOOooW !~~ Selling point! "

Hi! Considering getting this board as I can get it for 137€ incl. AC Valhalla atm. Am also considering X570 Tomahawk but that one's 179€, still includes AC Valhalla though. The number of USB ports are a cause for concern for me however. I'll be VR gaming on this PC as well so I need all the USB ports I can get. Will be connecting about 10 devices or so:

2 for KB-Mouse

1 Mic

1 for BT Adapter for XBox controller

1 for the VR Headset and 3 for sensors which all require at least USB 3.0

1 for my USB DAC/Amp

so that's about 9 ports I'll need to get the job done.

Can I get away with using a Hub which I already have to connect the devices that don't need USB 3, and then using the available ports on the front and back for the other devices?

I'm basically afraid of getting a USB controller error on Windows, with that many devices connected.

Thanks.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, aduman said:

Can I get away with using a Hub which I already have to connect the devices that don't need USB 3, and then using the available ports on the front and back for the other devices?

I'm basically afraid of getting a USB controller error on Windows, with that many devices connected.

Thanks.

Dont forget you have front panel headers too! You can also get PCI-E cards that also give you more USB ports out the back too if needed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Express-Expansion-Controller-Rosewill-RC-508/dp/B011LZY20G?th=1

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

are you going to use the front ports as well, like the top of a case.

Also you might be fine with an USB controller, don't know how much one can take though.

A limit in power or a limit to the USB on the motherboard layout? or whatever.

if you plug the most need into the PC and then having some hub extension, I guess it can work?

Not fully sure, it will likely takle everything you talked about if you look away from the VR for USB?

Not really sure why you would use USB for any VR, thought they had their own setup? (I guess on brand and version it might be different)

Edited by Quackers101

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Dont forget you have front panel headers too! You can also get PCI-E cards that also give you more USB ports out the back too if needed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Express-Expansion-Controller-Rosewill-RC-508/dp/B011LZY20G?th=1

So you think I can get all those devices to work if I say used the front panel USB3 ports for 2 of the sensors? My case has two USB 3 and two USB 2 ports out front. 

I'd rather fork out the extra 40€ for the x570 Tomahawk since that one has two more USB3.2s on the back, instead of having to get an expansion controller, but thanks for the recommendation!

Also do you think the x570 tomahawk would be worth it for the extra 40€?

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

are you going to use the front ports as well, like the top of a case.

Also you might be fine with an USB controller, don't know how much one can take though.

A limit in power or a limit to the USB on the motherboard layout? or whatever.

if you plug the most need into the PC and then having some hub extension, I guess it can work?

Not fully sure, it will likely takle everything you talked about if you look away from the VR for USB?

Not really sure why you would use USB for any VR, thought they had their own setup? (I guess on brand and version it might be different)

I'll probably be connecting 2 of the sensors to the front USB3 ports of the case. It has two USB3 and two USB2 out front.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well since you wanted the ports, why not just go with it and see?

Else it's more up to what you want.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

Well since you wanted the ports, why not just go with it and see?

Else it's more up to what you want.

Well it's another 40€ I'd rather save if I can get away with the ports on the B550, so that's why I asked the original question.

Spoiler

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, aduman said:

Hi! Considering getting this board as I can get it for 137€ incl. AC Valhalla atm. Am also considering X570 Tomahawk but that one's 179€, still includes AC Valhalla though. The number of USB ports are a cause for concern for me however. I'll be VR gaming on this PC as well so I need all the USB ports I can get. Will be connecting about 10 devices or so:

2 for KB-Mouse

1 Mic

1 for BT Adapter for XBox controller

1 for the VR Headset and 3 for sensors which all require at least USB 3.0

1 for my USB DAC/Amp

so that's about 9 ports I'll need to get the job done.

Thanks.

Well on the MSi B550 Tomahawk, you have 3x USB 3.x ports on the back.

4x if you also count the USB 3.x Type-C port.

Can you not use those for your VR headset?

Keyboard + Mouse..

2x USB 2.0 ports on the back.

BT adapter / USB DAC / Mic can go to the front USB 2.0 / 3.x ports.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

14 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Well on the MSi B550 Tomahawk, you have 3x USB 3.x ports on the back.

4x if you also count the USB 3.x Type-C port.

Can you not use those for your VR headset?

Keyboard + Mouse..

2x USB 2.0 ports on the back.

BT adapter / USB DAC / Mic can go to the front USB 2.0 / 3.x ports.

Yeah that seems doable. The headset uses a traditional USB 3.0 port but even then it's doable. Would you happen to know if I could simply connect a hub to one of those USB2 ports to power all of KBM, mic and the BT adapter? I tested it on my current system just now and it works.

Also an extra question if you don't mind. Should I fork over the extra 40€ for the x570 or would the B550 simply suffice if I'm not planning to use more than a single M2 drive and a single GPU.

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, aduman said:

Yeah that seems doable. Would you happen to know if I could simply connect a hub to one of those USB2 ports to power all of KBM, mic and the BT adapter? I tested it on my current system just now and it works.

Also an extra question if you don't mind. Should I fork over the extra 40€ for the x570 or would the B550 simply suffice if I'm not planning to use more than a single M2 drive and a single GPU.

KB / Mouse / BT Adapter (maybe mic?) don't use a whole lot of power.

Yes, you should be okay with using a hub for those.

Whether you want to get the X570 version is up to you.

Some differences between the X570 and B550, but main concern people have is the PCI-E lanes provided by the chipset.

X570 chipset supplies extra PCI-E 4.0 lanes (e.g. extra M.2 slots on the motherboard, other PCI-E slots), while B550 supplies PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

Both the B550 and X570 Tomahawk only routes the 16 PCI-E 4.0 lanes from the CPU to the 1st top-most PCI-E X16 slot...no second GPU either way.

Even second M.2 SSD would be fine, if you are okay to be limited to PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth (which is still crazy fast).

Aside from that, it's the VRM design.

X570 Tomahawk is a 6(x2) + 2 phase VRM, while the B550 Tomahawk is a 5(x2) + 2 VRM.

Both will fine for up to stock Ryzen 5950X, and should not much of an issue for overclocked Ryzen 5600X / 5800X.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

10 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

KB / Mouse / BT Adapter (maybe mic?) don't use a whole lot of power.

Yes, you should be okay with using a hub for those.

Whether you want to get the X570 version is up to you.

Some differences between the X570 and B550, but main concern people have is the PCI-E lanes provided by the chipset.

X570 chipset supplies extra PCI-E 4.0 lanes (e.g. extra M.2 slots on the motherboard, other PCI-E slots), while B550 supplies PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

Aside from that, it's the VRM design.

X570 Tomahawk is a 6(x2) + 2 phase VRM, while the B550 Tomahawk is a 5(x2) + 2 VRM.

Both will fine for up to stock Ryzen 5950X, and should not much of an issue for overclocked Ryzen 5600X / 5800X.

So it seems for my use cases B550 will be more than enough? My only actual concern was the USB thing. I'm grabbing a 3600/3700 soon than maybe upgrading to a 5600x in the future. The PCI stuff doesn't really seem like it'd be a problem for me in the near future. It just the annoying back I/O the B550 Tomahawk has that's gotten me all confused. It has 2 LAN ports which I'd never need and I don't like paying for stuff I wouldn't ever need lol seems to be the case with PCI-E 4 lanes on the X570 board as well though. Which one would you go for if you were me?

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, aduman said:

The X570 is actually the older board, so it doesn't have the second Ethernet port.

Before, standard is 1Gb Ethernet...but not with optical fiber hitting mainstream, people are now able to EXCEED 1Gb speed at their very home.

In some cases, it's just marketing too... " AmaZinG 2.5 Gb Ethernet! WooOOooW !~~ Selling point! "

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

Just now, -rascal- said:

Alright, I'm going for the B550 Tomahawk! Just seen that it comes with a 25€ postmates coupon too lol Thanks a lot for all the help and advice, really appreciate it! Stay safe in these weird ass times.

Spoiler

Spoiler