RTX 3080: Strange Tearing/Stuttering

Go to solution Solved by rmgdnz,
8 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

I assume that is due to the fact that your old GPU were not outputting 240fps. Try enabling GSYNC and capping the framerate to 239fps in nvidia control panel.

Ok so I think I figured it out. I had gsync on and my fps capped at 237 in nvidia control panel, so I took off the fps cap and instead capped my fps in game and I confirmed there are none of those lines in slo mo. So looks like a nvidia control panel fps cap was messing stuff up for some reason. I have to test more games but I think it's good now, thanks for the help!

Hi everyone! Managed to finally score an RTX 3080 and I have been loving the experience, but I am having a really strange micro-tearing/stuttering issue. I was not able to capture it in a recording so I'll do my best to describe it. In every game I have tried, upwards/downwards movement (maybe sideways too but it's more noticeable when moving up/down) seems to cause small frame tears or micro-stutters in the image. My frametimes are smooth and I am well within the GSYNC range of my monitor (Samsung Odyssey G7 at 1440p 240Hz). I tried reinstalling drivers, etc and nothing seems to fix this. I upgraded from an RTX 2060 Super and I also tested a GTX 1060 and I did not experience this issue with any of those cards. Any ideas?

It almost sounds like a bad overclock. Would it be at all possible to record a video of the monitor with your phone to try to show what is truly happening?

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It almost sounds like a bad overclock. Would it be at all possible to record a video of the monitor with your phone to try to show what is truly happening?

I just recorded in slo mo and WOW you can clearly see it! Seems like a gsync issue?

4 minutes ago, rmgdnz said:

I just recorded in slo mo and WOW you can clearly see it! Seems like a gsync issue?

IMG_9992.mov 19.73 MB · 1 download

Huh that weird. Try disabling gsync and test if it goes away. If not disable gsync and enable vsync and see if it goes away(dont use vsync normally its just for testing purposes). If it does then its probably a gsync issue if not then we can move for further troubleshooting.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

3 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Huh that weird. Try disabling gsync and test if it goes away. If not disable gsync and enable vsync and see if it goes away(dont use vsync normally its just for testing purposes). If it does then its probably a gsync issue if not then we can move for further troubleshooting.

I just tested gsync off and vsync on and the problem does go away, so looks like gsync is the issue. Strange, this was not a problem on my old gpus...

I just tested gsync off and vsync on and the problem does go away, so looks like gsync is the issue. Strange, this was not a problem on my old gpus...

I assume that is due to the fact that your old GPU were not outputting 240fps. Try enabling GSYNC and capping the framerate to 239fps in nvidia control panel.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

8 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Ok so I think I figured it out. I had gsync on and my fps capped at 237 in nvidia control panel, so I took off the fps cap and instead capped my fps in game and I confirmed there are none of those lines in slo mo. So looks like a nvidia control panel fps cap was messing stuff up for some reason. I have to test more games but I think it's good now, thanks for the help!

Cool. Glad you got it fixed. 

Desktop :

Laptop :

10 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

By capping the FPS in-game, do you mean by turning-on v-sync? If so, then that doesn't mean that g-sync is now working, only that v-sync is preventing those lines. That's not a good solution, because v-sync adds input latency and doesn't do as good a syncing job as g-sync.

You don't need a g-sync or g-sync-compatible monitor to use v-sync. So, I'd be upset if my hardware wasn't delivering the better performance that it should be.

Your monitor is advertised as G-sync Compatible. So, it should work in that mode officially. If it doesn't contact Nvidia support through their website or their forums.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/support/consumer/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

By capping the FPS in-game, do you mean by turning-on v-sync? If so, then that doesn't mean that g-sync is now working, only that v-sync is preventing those lines. That's not a good solution, because v-sync adds input latency and doesn't do as good a syncing job as g-sync.

You don't need a g-sync or g-sync-compatible monitor to use v-sync. So, I'd be upset if my hardware wasn't delivering the better performance that it should be.

Your monitor is advertised as G-sync Compatible. So, it should work in that mode officially. If it doesn't contact Nvidia support through their website or their forums.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/support/consumer/

So what solved it was leaving gsync on, vsync on or off (doesn't make a difference), and no max framerate cap in the nvidia control panel. Using gsync + vsync off + max fps cap in the nvcp causes the weird tearing. So for some reason, when I manually set a max framerate in nvcp, gsync no longer works.

12 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

IMG_9992.mov 19.73 MB · 4 downloads

yep 

12 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

Well new cards, new drivers = there will be issues. 

I'd just not use Gsync for now and wait for a fix. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity