Ryzen 3950x v Ryzen 5900x

TNGengar

Budget (including currency): N/A, £

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming/OBS, Call of Duty Warzone, video editing etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

AMD Ryzen 2600x

32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x16GB C16)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB

MSI Optix AG32CQ 1440p, 1ms, 144hz

Looking to upgrade from the above CPU to either in post title. Wanting to start my streaming back up in 2021 but torn between the two CPUs.

Would it be better to go for more cores but older in the 3950x or newer and fewer cores in the 5900x?

If the 3950x it would probably be bought used which isn't an issue for me. The 5900x would be new.

Whichever is bought will be paired with a Noctua DH-15S ChromaxBlack.

Price isn't an issue between these two for me. Also considered the 3900x first but convinced myself away from that.

Will be used to stream 1080p 60fps downscaled from 1440p 144fps (hopefully).

If not enough information I apologise.

Streaming with nvenc isn't an option?

Anyway, the 5900x will give you better FPS but might hiccup while streaming if you make use of all of the cores, although I suppose your GPU is probably holding back your performance already so it probably won't batter much.

The 3950x would give you less FPS (in a scenario where you aren't GPU-bottlenecked), but have a smoother stream for sure.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

A 5900x would likely be the better of the two. 12c/24t is more than enough for a game and streaming, especially considering that most games do not take advantage of anything more than 16 threads. Higher IPC and a more mature 7nm process is also a win for the 5900x over a 3950x.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

29 minutes ago, igormp said:

Streaming with nvenc isn't an option?

Anyway, the 5900x will give you better FPS but might hiccup while streaming if you make use of all of the cores, although I suppose your GPU is probably holding back your performance already so it probably won't batter much.

The 3950x would give you less FPS (in a scenario where you aren't GPU-bottlenecked), but have a smoother stream for sure.

I am streaming with NVENC. (See attatched)

Don't get me wrong, the stream isn't affected at all when streaming, no frame drops. Just I'd like my in game fps to be higher, especially with a competetive shooter. With OBS closed/not streaming, I hit around 120fps with everything on low or disabled on CoD Warzone which is good enough for me. Hitting that whilst streaming is the goal really.

I know the 2060 will be the bottleneck in both cases of new cpu but not sure it is at the moment. When stock is more readily available I will be going for a 3080.

Screenshot (37).png

17 minutes ago, TNGengar said:

I am streaming with NVENC. (See attatched)

Don't get me wrong, the stream isn't affected at all when streaming, no frame drops. Just I'd like my in game fps to be higher, especially with a competetive shooter. With OBS closed/not streaming, I hit around 120fps with everything on low or disabled on CoD Warzone which is good enough for me. Hitting that whilst streaming is the goal really.

I know the 2060 will be the bottleneck in both cases of new cpu but not sure it is at the moment. When stock is more readily available I will be going for a 3080.

Screenshot (37).png

Oh, in this case do go for the 5900x for sure, specially after you get your 3080. It might not help that much with your avg fps (which I think it will anyway), but surely will make your minimums stay above 100fps.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga