First time pc builder - Yellow mobo light and no post/display

Goatzel

Built my new PC but the display is not working. I've tried two different monitors now, using HDMI and DP in both the display and mobo slots but I still can't get to BIOS. I managed to get the yellow dram light to disappear yesterday (it's back now) and it still wouldn't display. Did I mess up somewhere? Are the parts I thought were compatible actually not? Please help ! :(

specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

ID-COOLING PINKFLOW 240 55.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X WHITE Video Card

Corsair RMx White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case

PXL_20201221_051331323.jpg

PXL_20201221_051313184.jpg

12 minutes ago, Goatzel said:

Built my new PC but the display is not working. I've tried two different monitors now, using HDMI and DP in both the display and mobo slots but I still can't get to BIOS. I managed to get the yellow dram light to disappear yesterday (it's back now) and it still wouldn't display. Did I mess up somewhere? Are the parts I thought were compatible actually not? Please help ! :(

Try booting with just one stick of RAM. You might have to enable XMP before it'll boot properly with more then one stick.

4 minutes ago, Prometheus935 said:

Try booting with just one stick of RAM. You might have to enable XMP before it'll boot properly with more then one stick.

Took out one stick and the yellow mobo light went away but still no display/post 😢

4 minutes ago, Goatzel said:

Took out one stick and the yellow mobo light went away but still no display/post 😢

Take the GPU out and see if you can post with just on board graphics.

Also which RAM stick did you take out?

2 minutes ago, Prometheus935 said:

Take the GPU out and see if you can post with just on board graphics.

Also which RAM stick did you take out?

They have a Ryzen cpu.  No onboard graphics.  They need a gpu.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

As I can see from your photos you're using DIMM slots DIMM_B2 and A2 acording to your M/B manual. I suggest to try move your 2 DIMM sticks to DIMM slots B1 and A1 the ones that are closer to your CPU and see if that solves your issue. Also clearing your CMOS after that might help.

4 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

They have a Ryzen cpu.  No onboard graphics.  They need a gpu.

Well shows what I know. Only really ever used Intel so just assumed it would have it as well.

5 minutes ago, BiL said:

As I can see from your photos you're using DIMM slots DIMM_B2 and A2 acording to your M/B manual. I suggest to try move your 2 DIMM stick to DIMM slots B1 and A1 the ones that are closer to your CPU and see if that solves your issue.

Put 1 stick in B1 but still no post. At this point I'm thinking something could be wrong with the GPU. GPU turns on and fans are moving but I can't think of anything else.

2 minutes ago, Goatzel said:

Put 1 stick in B1 but still no post. At this point I'm thinking something could be wrong with the GPU. GPU turns on and fans are moving but I can't think of anything else.

Try removing and re seating the GPU and also clear your CMOS if you haven't done that before.

45 minutes ago, BiL said:

Try removing and re seating the GPU and also clear your CMOS if you haven't done that before.

Just did both and still nothing. I'm gonna try to do a BIOS update, even though I shouldn't need one, and see if that resolves the issue.

I see a grounding screw missing. you are probably shorting your mobo on the case if you do not have all of the riser screws in place (just below CPU and to the right)

45 minutes ago, Breeksta said:

I see a grounding screw missing. you are probably shorting your mobo on the case if you do not have all of the riser screws in place (just below CPU and to the right)

The case has a built-in screw going through that hole. Should I add a nut bolt to it? Or remove that screw and add my own? I just assumed it would be alright.

2 minutes ago, Goatzel said:

The case has a built-in screw going through that hole. Should I add a nut bolt to it? Or remove that screw and add my own? I just assumed it would be alright.

Personally I don't see any problem with that, but just to make sure that you're not facing any short circuit problems  try removing your MOBO and placed over a table using the anti-static bag that came with and give it a try from there.