cassetts

Low_Settings

So i have decided i want to collect cassette tapes but that's the easy part, buying the cassettes. What would be a good way to play cassettes like where i can hook them up to nice nice speakers to jam-out

Well cassettes were never known for audio quality, just saying.

But there are plenty of home audio cassette players with rca out.

Here is one on ebay, just the top result. Plug it into a reciever and some speakers.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DR-M30HX-Vintage-3-Head-Cassette-Deck-Dolby-B-C-NR-HX-Pro/324423314275?hash=item4b8922eb63:g:jgEAAOSwTB1fvJlr

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here is one on ebay, just the top result. Plug it into a reciever and some speakers.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DR-M30HX-Vintage-3-Head-Cassette-Deck-Dolby-B-C-NR-HX-Pro/324423314275?hash=item4b8922eb63:g:jgEAAOSwTB1fvJlr

so what i need to be looking into is a deck and a receiver and what would be a good reveiver

1 hour ago, Low_Settings said:

so what i need to be looking into is a deck and a receiver and what would be a good reveiver

any modern reciever, really depends on budget and speaker setup.

Prerecorded cassettes generally have horrible audio quality.
If you get a high quality deck and proper tapes, they'll outperform a CD many times over though.
The medium itself is not the problem, but you got to know what you're doing.
I actually made a video of that years ago, should revisit it, but here ya go:

Obviously limited by the YouTube audio quality, but it shows you that cassettes at least sound as good as YouTube (and much better ;)). 

So here's some recommendations; Generally any cassette deck that's a single deck (double decks are like printer/scanner combo's. It works, but it's always a compromise) which has manual recording level and a knob to change the bias, is a good deck. Now there's decks that don't have that knob that sound just great, but if you want anything to go by; Go by that.  I personally think in the affordable section Aiwa and JVC make some properly good sounding machinery. Also Akai has done a lot of great decks. The GX-32 is still a nice budget machine that usually works fine. JVC's TD-V### series are usually quite good, and Aiwa's AD-F###. 

Then there's the receiver bit; Same story as with the double deck. Compromise. Look for an amplifier. A receiver is an amplifier with built-in radio tuner. Less is more ;). You actually don't NEED an amplifier to listen to your tapes. You can plug a pair of headphones into your cassette deck, or even use PC speakers with a cheap cable. You can also hook the deck up to the line-in of your computer or laptop (make sure it actually has one, it HAS to be line in, not microphone in. Sometimes you can switch this in software). 
If you're looking for an amplifier, you'll also need speakers. And then it all starts depending on budget and about how much you care. A good cheap 'n cheerful combo, if you can find it where you live, is the NAD 3020E amplifier (the PE is fine too) and the Wharfedale Diamond III speakers. Alternatives for speakers are the Boston Acoustics A25 or Tannoy M1. Alternatives for amplifiers are most of the non-surround sound stuff Yamaha made, it's usually good. 

Just two cents from the guy who has 100 cassette decks in his attic :D. 

23 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Actually, my Nakamichi CR3 just died on me and I needed a 3 head machine for monitoring in my living room setup. I still had a DR-M30HX standing around and that's an amazingly good sounding machine without going into the super high pricing. Judging by his postings the OP is a beginner though, this one is definitely overkill. This nudges towards the high-end spectrum, despite its relatively simple appearance.
With a deck like this the 'never known for audio quality'-bit of your posting is most definitely unjustified. 
If you're curious as to what you just recommended, I'm very willing to make a demo recording with my own DR-M30HX ;). 

19 minutes ago, s_k said:

f you get a high quality deck and proper tapes, they'll outperform a CD many times over though.

You got a source or evidence for that? I have always noticed that CDs sound better.

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You got a source or evidence for that? I have always noticed that CDs sound better.

I posted a demo video in the same posting.
Also what deck and tapes were you using?