RX 5700 XT Bad performance, input lag, stuttering without any reason.

o1pwer
Go to solution Solved by Kupal,

Have you try reformatting your OS?

Maybe try Custom Windows 10.iso that come with windows update disabled..

Hello everyone. Ive bought RX 5700 XT in spring and noticed that it has problems in at least 2 games - Apex Legends and Fortnite.

In Apex i get 144 fps maximum even on lowest settings, but it always drops to 85 in random parts of the city and game doesnt feel smooth at all. Also FPS graph in RivaTuner looks like a saw blade - here is the example Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In Fortnite i am not having any FPS problems - the game just microfreezes like every 20 seconds which makes it impossible to play. When it does that, GPU clock drops to 60 MHz and GPU load also drops.

Also after doing something on my PC and starting a game I always start getting a noticeable inputlag in all games. Rebooting the PC helps, but i dont know why does it happen - i dont have anything special running in background, also my hardware is never loaded 100%

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600 3.9GHz

16GB 3000MHz RAM dual channel

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Cougar GX-S750

Voltages and temperatures are fine

All power saving things are disabled

Also Ive watched few tests of this card and this CPU and games in test feel a lot more smoother than when i am actually playing them. 

What should i try to do to make this card work as it should? If someone needs additional info - please let me know. Thank you.

56 minutes ago, Kraken_05 said:

Have you tried running DDU and installing the drivers?

Yeah did it few hours ago, my Windows is also clean and was reinstalled recently

16 minutes ago, o1pwer said:

Yeah did it few hours ago, my Windows is also clean and was reinstalled recently

Running ddu is the only thing I know from experience. Someone with more experience and knowledge might be able to help you out.

Sorry mate.

• 2 weeks later...

check your HDD / Ram. But prolly one of your Hard Drive is dying. I had that problem before that stutter. removed the hard drive.

my 5700XT plays fortnite and apex just fine. it could be your cpu single core bottleneckiong.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:42 AM, o1pwer said:

Hello everyone. Ive bought RX 5700 XT in spring and noticed that it has problems in at least 2 games - Apex Legends and Fortnite.

In Apex i get 144 fps maximum even on lowest settings, but it always drops to 85 in random parts of the city and game doesnt feel smooth at all. Also FPS graph in RivaTuner looks like a saw blade - here is the example Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In Fortnite i am not having any FPS problems - the game just microfreezes like every 20 seconds which makes it impossible to play. When it does that, GPU clock drops to 60 MHz and GPU load also drops.

Also after doing something on my PC and starting a game I always start getting a noticeable inputlag in all games. Rebooting the PC helps, but i dont know why does it happen - i dont have anything special running in background, also my hardware is never loaded 100%

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600 3.9GHz

16GB 3000MHz RAM dual channel

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Cougar GX-S750

Voltages and temperatures are fine

All power saving things are disabled

Also Ive watched few tests of this card and this CPU and games in test feel a lot more smoother than when i am actually playing them. 

What should i try to do to make this card work as it should? If someone needs additional info - please let me know. Thank you.

Did you monitor all of your temps in HWinfo64? (please do NOT use hwmonitor or other garbage programs).

Make sure your HOTSPOT is not reaching >100C.

If you can post a screenshot of your hwinfo "gpu" area while you're running one of your games, it would help us.

This problem can be caused by multiple issues, especially on Ryzen systems.  This could be a BIOS issue or something else as well.

Some Ryzen users are also having similar problems with low GPU usage and stuttering in Call of Duty: Warzone on RTX Ampere video cards as well.

So it's essential to determine if there is an issue with your video card, or with your windows install/drivers/chipset/AGESA or whatever its called (I use Intel so I don't know about your system).

6 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

(please do NOT use hwmonitor or other garbage programs)

Any reasons why hwmonitor is garbage?

11 hours ago, Kupal said:

check your HDD / Ram. But prolly one of your Hard Drive is dying. I had that problem before that stutter. removed the hard drive.

I had a similar problem with my new hdd, where the computer would freeze for a second when I used it after it was idle for a while. Just changing the "sleep after" setting to 0 seconds (never sleep) in power settings solved it.

Generally, if you look at benchmarks over the years AMD cards have traditionally a lot more up and downs than Nvidia, even though they might be on par in average frames, which is a thing most people hate (myself included) which is the main reason for Nvidias market dominance (and not what a vocal minority seems to believe the performance of top end cards which most people can't even afford anyway) 

And then you look at all the issues 5000 cards seem to have with their drivers (fixed many times, but not really) then im not surprised about your issues. Sometimes it's good to do some research before buying a product to make sure it fits your needs. 

PS: I did test a couple of AMD cards, it's always the same issue, random drops out of nowhere (which as noted is visible in benchmarks / reviews too, although often hidden behind the "average fps" which in my opinion is a rather useless figure, because I don't play "average" fps, I play *stable* fps and fluctuations are not welcomed or acceptable in any way to me (then I can just play on consoles tbh) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/3/2021 at 1:52 AM, Falkentyne said:

Did you monitor all of your temps in HWinfo64? (please do NOT use hwmonitor or other garbage programs).

Make sure your HOTSPOT is not reaching >100C.

If you can post a screenshot of your hwinfo "gpu" area while you're running one of your games, it would help us.

This problem can be caused by multiple issues, especially on Ryzen systems.  This could be a BIOS issue or something else as well.

Some Ryzen users are also having similar problems with low GPU usage and stuttering in Call of Duty: Warzone on RTX Ampere video cards as well.

So it's essential to determine if there is an issue with your video card, or with your windows install/drivers/chipset/AGESA or whatever its called (I use Intel so I don't know about your system).

Hotspot never reaches 100. No i dont use hwinfo

1 minute ago, o1pwer said:

Hotspot never reaches 100. No i dont use hwinfo

it is probably your cpu bottlenecking at that game. apex can be sometimes single core heavy and your cpu does not really hve a good single core performance. Also do not listen to MArk Kaine, he clearly does not knwo what he is talking about.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, Kupal said:

my HDD has 100% load spikes sometimes, but its working fine, speed doesnt drop, no damaged sectors, SMART is also fine, it just loads and thats it. But nvm i guess, i gave up, cant really replace my videocard or HDD to check if its them causing stutters(

Just now, SavageNeo said:

it is probably your cpu bottlenecking at that game. apex can be sometimes single core heavy and your cpu does not really hve a good single core performance. Also do not listen to MArk Kaine, he clearly does not knwo what he is talking about.

no its not cpu( i checked tests on youtube and 5 1600 has no stutters in apex, but my system has stutters in apex, fortnite, rdr 2 and god knows where...

1 minute ago, o1pwer said:

my HDD has 100% load spikes sometimes, but its working fine, speed doesnt drop, no damaged sectors, SMART is also fine, it just loads and thats it. But nvm i guess, i gave up, cant really replace my videocard or HDD to check if its them causing stutters(

sounds like bad hard drive.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:11 PM, o1pwer said:

Then that your problem. just because on HDD Show SMART is fine, doesnt mean its good, if your getting 100% looad spike randomly then that cause the stutter.. buy a cheap 256GB SSD.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Kupal said:

Then that your problem. just because on HDD Show SMART is fine, doesnt mean its good, if your getting 100% looad spike randomly then that cause the stutter.. buy a cheap 256GB SSD.

maybe stutter is caused by HDD, but why playing any game doesn't feel smooth? It cannot depend on HDD or SSD, its not smooth even in Minecraft when HDD is not 100%

On 1/6/2021 at 10:12 PM, SavageNeo said:

sounds like bad hard drive.

stuttering - maybe, but there are other problems like strange input lag and feeling of low FPS in Apex even on lowest settings while nothing is loaded on 100%

I understood that input lag is high only when FPS is 90-100, when its 144 everything is fine.

Do not put settigns on low! You have a cpu that does not have really great single core performance. Lower settings= more load on the cpu. try to keep settings as high as you can.

If it is not smooth in every game make sure you have enabled 144hz on your monitor.

30 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Do not put settigns on low! You have a cpu that does not have really great single core performance. Lower settings= more load on the cpu. try to keep settings as high as you can.

If it is not smooth in every game make sure you have enabled 144hz on your monitor.

My monitor is 60hz. I cannot lock fps on 60 because if i do it - i have 5 seconds of normal gameplay and then 1 second of freezing and stuttering, and i can't see these stutters on frametime/FPS graph.

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

oh and my CPU never loads 100%

Ive started getting freezes in every game, sometimes my SSD loads up to 100% and hdd is nearly always 100%, but when i turn off the game - it goes to 0%