I want to do a useless cool thing on the cheap. Help me.

thDel

What is the cheapest way for me to have my computer in another room to my setup without just running tons of wires. the two rooms are adjacent but on different floors. the distance a cable would have to go would be about 10-15 metres. I also want to consider in the future having a plex server and a low power system for my sons school work running of my tower in future using virtualisation. i am running a first gen ryzen ststem with a b350 mobo. it is an atx tower and i have a pcie 16x and two 1x slots available.

get long cables ( but those aren't always cheap )

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

i should have specified that i specifically dont want to do that. Running like 5 different cables for all my peroipherals and monitoors and stuff would be a massive pain. I  will edit the post.

Linus used to run a thunderbolt hub with a single cable to his desk and then plug everything into that. You could use a thunderbolt add-in card and run this from the PC to the place you want.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

you're basically looking at either a single thunderbolt run, or using a remote desktop program like parsec or moonlight and remote in using a lower powered client and have all you're stuff hooked up to that, but you will get a few ms of latency

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 minutes ago, thDel said:

i should have specified that i specifically dont want to do that. Running like 5 different cables for all my peroipherals and monitoors and stuff would be a massive pain. I  will edit the post.

You'd only need one display cable for each display and a single USB cable

And use a powered USB hub on the other end for everything you need (audio, kb, mouse, webcam, and such)

That's what I did

Though for 15-20meters your display cable have to be good quality to carry high bandwidth signals, I had issues with 1080p240hz while using a cheapo 5 meter DP cable

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

39 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Though for 15-20meters your display cable have to be good quality to carry high bandwidth signals

How do i find if it is a good cable? 

Just now, thDel said:

How do i find if it is a good cable? 

I found the cable that worked weighted more

Feels sturdier and it's thicker, probably because the conductor is lower gauge (thicker)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately