Suggestions for troubleshooting stuttering in games

Mando772004

*PLEASE READ ALL THE TOPIC BEFORE REPLYING*

I want any suggestion you got to try and fix stuttering other than checking temps (cuz all my temps are good checked over 10 times) and reinstalling windows/drivers/game.

specs:

rtx 2080 super stock speeds

ryzen 5 3600 stock speeds 3.6ghz pbo off ( tried pbo on and still stutters) (GIGABYTE ATC800 ARGB COOLER)

hyperxfury ddr4 3733mhz cl20 2x8 16gb rgb kit

mb b450 tomahawk max msi latest bios and chipset drivers installed

Corsair TX650M Power supply 650w (i think thats enough power for my build my friend thinks otherwise though)

1x 1tb hdd caviar green wd (very old like maybe 6+ years old but still working) used for storing nvidia shadowplay clips while gaming

1x seagate barracuda 2tb hdd used for storing games (tried storing games on sdd still stutters btw)

1x intel 520 series 120gb ssd for cyberpunk only

1x samsung 970 evo plus m.2 ssd 250gb for windows 10 pro activated using purchased license key ver. 20H2 and assassins creed valhalla.

Cooler master mb520 TG case with 1 rear fan and 3 front fans. No top fans.

Other notes:

I have 2 monitors connected to my 2080s one via DP and the other via HDMI

i play on 1080p ultra settings

All my games are purchased and up to date

i clean my pc about once a month because it doesnt get dusty fast but overall its clean just a very small amount of dust.

I get the frames i should be getting but i just get stutters so my pc is performing as expected except it stutters -_-

Im the only one of my friends who gets these stutters even though some of them use worse pc's

You could be hyper-sensitive to the stutters. Don't compare yourself to other people who say they don't have them. There are people willing to play Cyberpunk on last-gen consoles and seem to think it's running just fine. Some people just don't notice poor performance.

At any rate, monitor your components while playing. When the stutters are happening, what is happening in your system? Is your CPU maxing out? GPU? Unusual memory performance? Is your storage flatlining when it should be loading assets?

Which games are stuttering?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

1 minute ago, Kevin_Walter said:

You could be hyper-sensitive to the stutters. Don't compare yourself to other people who say they don't have them. There are people willing to play Cyberpunk on last-gen consoles and seem to think it's running just fine. Some people just don't notice poor performance.

At any rate, monitor your components while playing. When the stutters are happening, what is happening in your system? Is your CPU maxing out? GPU? Unusual memory performance? Is your storage flatlining when it should be loading assets?

Which games are stuttering?

Nothing really out of the ordinary it just stutters and my gpu usage drops to like 80% instead of 99% then goes back to 99%. AC valhalla cyberpunk

1 minute ago, InfernalClaw said:

Nothing really out of the ordinary it just stutters and my gpu usage drops to like 80% instead of 99% then goes back to 99%. AC valhalla cyberpunk

Those are really CPU-heavy games. Monitor what that is doing when they're stuttering.

What framerates are you getting, by the way?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Just now, Kevin_Walter said:

Those are really CPU-heavy games. Monitor what that is doing when they're stuttering.

they really dont use my cpu much like they dont really go above 50% that much. in cyberpunk i get around 50-90 fps and in valhalla i get around 70-80 frames but i cant really tell you accurate frames cuz different parts in both games have different frames

2 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

you think i didnt monitor? literally the only game that when it stutters i notice a change is ac unity my cpu usage goes to 80% suddenly but other games it just stutters and my gpu usage drops to like 80% instead of 99% then go back to normal

7 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

you think i didnt monitor? literally the only game that when it stutters i notice a change is ac unity my cpu usage goes to 80% suddenly but other games it just stutters and my gpu usage drops to like 80% instead of 99% then go back to normal

I don't think you did or didn't do anything. You asked for help diagnosing the problem, and I'm requesting further information so I can try to help you do that.

There's a known thing with Cyberpunk specifically that suggests it's only using physical cores on Ryzen CPUs and not logical cores. Some have said this causes some performance issues that can be fixed by editing the game's exe. YMMV, but it's easily reversed and won't hurt anything to try.

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/software/cyberpunk_2077_ryzen_hex_edit_tested_-_boosted_amd_performance/1

1 minute ago, Kevin_Walter said:

I don't think you did or didn't do anything. You asked for help diagnosing the problem, and I'm requesting further information so I can try to help you do that.

There's a known thing with Cyberpunk specifically that suggests it's only using physical cores on Ryzen CPUs and not logical cores. Some have said this causes some performance issues that can be fixed by editing the game's exe. YMMV, but it's easily reversed and won't hurt anything to try.

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/software/cyberpunk_2077_ryzen_hex_edit_tested_-_boosted_amd_performance/1

yes im sorry if it came that way i know you're trying to help and i appreciate it! i did try this amd thing 2 days ago and tested it multiple times and still i have stutters sadly

3 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

yes im sorry if it came that way i know you're trying to help and i appreciate it! i did try this amd thing 2 days ago and tested it multiple times and still i have stutters sadly

Are you using g-sync, and have you tried limiting your framerate to 60fps with something like RivaTuner, or your GPU's control panel? I know cyberpunk also has a built-in frame limiter.

Just now, Kevin_Walter said:

Are you using g-sync, and have you tried limiting your framerate to 60fps with something like RivaTuner, or your GPU's control panel? I know cyberpunk also has a built-in frame limiter.

no i dont use gsync or freesync. why would i limit my fps to 60 it wouldnt be as smooth on my 144hz monitor

1 minute ago, InfernalClaw said:

no i dont use gsync or freesync. why would i limit my fps to 60 it wouldnt be as smooth on my 144hz monitor

Sometimes steady framepacing is more important than a higher framerate if you want a game to run smoothly. Since you don't use a form of adaptive sync, then your framerate bouncing around under your monitor's refresh is going to cause your monitor to be out of sync with your framerate more often than not. This is what v-sync is supposed to cure, but it can cause input latency, which is why locking your framerate to something that your system can more consistently achieve can help to iron out stuttering.

As a rule, it doesn't have to be 60fps. It could be 72 or something. So long as it's a consistent number slightly below what your system is capable of maintaining during normal gameplay.