Need advice on airflow (in/outtakes) and also what fans to buy?

WereWolf
Go to solution Solved by Leonard,

Actually I can't flip cpu fan to be blowing towards top, it can be only mounted to blow to the front, or the back of the case. Now it's blowing to the back of it, so it also makes no sense in switching back fan to intake I think.

There is side vent panel, but actually it's pretty strange, 'cause I don't see a point in it... There are only holes with the dust filter, but no mount points for the fans. I could of course drill them by myself, but I think I'll pass with it for now :)

I have no water cooling, CPU has something like tower heatsink with one 120mm fan blowing to the back of the case, pretty directly to the back fan.

So, for now I have to options I think. To remove the back fan (CPU fan still blows to the back of the case), sticking with 2x120 intakes on the front, and 2x120 outtakes on the top, or...

To stay with 140mm back fan, 2x120 intakes on the front and change top fans to 1x140.

I think the second option would have more sense, although there would be still more outtakes than intakes (I mean not by number of fans, but by its airflow, or whatever it's called). Also it'll be also quieter I think with 140mms.

I'll also make sure if I can't do anything to mount the bottom fan somehow, there would be more options than. I'll eventually change the case some day, but I think it'll be with more upgrades in the future (when I'll be chaning a motherboard, cpu, and almost every other component), for now it has to stay as it is :)

Bottom fans from my experience, and i am not saying that i have built systems in all the cases on the market and my view also does not include Case Lab cases, tend to do almost nothing. On most fans, the distance from the back of any fan to the nearest component that is generating heat is to far for a fan to do anything worth while. 

Regarding your options, here is another. I would put two 140mm on the top and the two 120mm in the front and change the back 140mm fan to the one i recommended as no case fan that comes with a case is as good as the one i recommended. I would also put one of tthe 120mm on the CPU cooler too.

Hello... It's my first post and already a question, which I hope someone will answer :)

I'm going to change fans on my case. It's fairly old, but still works well (except for the fans controlling, which failed after a week or so...) but for now I don't see a point to switch it, it's still good enough for me. I'm only not perfectly happy with fans, especially one of them - it started to make some strange noises on higher speeds, so...

Anyway, my case is SilentiumPC Regnum L50. I won't be surprised if noone from here listened about it, it's Polish company, not so bad actually, but it's also nothing very expensive.

So, here is the diagram of how they recommend to put the fans:

post-56652-0-17789200-1394999995.jpg

For now, I have 2 x 120 in-takes in front, 2 x 120 out-takes on top and 1 x 140 out-take in back of the case. I was having also 1 x 120 on bottom, but I've changed PSU and it's a little longer, so unfortunately there's not enough room for bottom fan now.

My biggest concern is that I have now more out-takes than intakes, which as I've read may cause to too much dust to get inside the case. I was thinking about switching top fans to in-takes, but could there be any drawbacks of having this much in-takes? There would be 4 in-takes than and only 1 out-take.

And the second part of the question... What fans to choose? I was thinking about Noctua, but I've heard that they're better for cpu coolers/heatsinks, and that color... It's actually not a big problem - I even like it, although I still prefer black for this case :)

My second choice is Be Quiet SilentWings2. They're black, and not much worse than Noctua (at least in the specs). Will they be better for case in/out-takes?

And speaking of Noctua, I was also thinking about changing the fan on my CPU heatsink. Which Noctua would be the best choice for cooling CPU? I've read somewhere that NP-F12 is optimized for heatsinks, but I'm not sure if I remember this correctly.

thanks for any answer :)

You want an equal amount of intake and exhaust and not so much more one than the other. 

If your current fans are fine, why get more and replace them?

It would help to know your specs and what your system is used for. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You want an equal amount of intake and exhaust and not so much more one than the other. 

If your current fans are fine, why get more and replace them?

It would help to know your specs and what your system is used for. 

As I wrote before, one of my current fans started making strange noises, and basically they aren't very quiet, I'd like to change them to something better (that's why I choose between noctua and bequiet). Also I don't need more of them, just to change the ones I have (or for example switch 2x120 to 1x140 or even 1x180 if it would help) and position them correctly, mostly because of dust.

My system specs:

CPU: i5-2500K @ 4,5GHz (on heavy usage the temps are close to 70 Celsius)

GPU: ASUS GTX660Ti (factory overclocked DirectCU version, temps reaching 75, maybe a little more Celsius)

HDD: 1 SSD, 3-4 HDDs (that's the biggest problem, they're in front, and basically front fans blow on them, so they would have to stay as in-takes)

I'm actually not complaining about temps, I think they're pretty fine. More problem is dust, cause I think it might be caused because of the higher number of out-takes in my case, and the noise - which I can improved simply by changing to better fans.

For now the only thing I'm sure is that the front fans should be as in-takes (because of the HDDs), and the back fan should be out-take (CPU fan is directed to the back of the case, so it would be pointless otherwise). The only problem I have is with the top fans. One way or another, there still be different number of in and out-takes...

As I wrote before, one of my current fans started making strange noises, and basically they aren't so quiet, I'd like to change them to something better (that's why I choose between noctua and bequiet). Also I don't need more of them, just to change the ones I have (or for example switch 2x120 to 1x140 or even 1x180 if it would help) and position them correctly, mostly because of dust.

My system specs:

CPU: i5-2500K @ 4,5GHz (on heavy usage the temps are close to 70 Celsius)

GPU: ASUS GTX660Ti (factory overclocked DirectCU version, temps reaching 75, maybe a little more Celsius)

HDD: 1 SSD, 3-4 HDDs (that's the biggest problem, they're in front, and basically front fans blow on them, so they would have to stay as in-takes)

I'm actually not complaining about temps, I think they're pretty fine. More problem is dust, cause I think it might be caused because of the higher number of out-takes in my case, and the noise - which I can improved simply by changing to better fans.

Have you tried just removing the loud fans? --or is it all of them?

If dust is the issue, get dust filters. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Have you tried just removing the loud fans? --or is it all of them?

If dust is the issue, get dust filters. 

It's all of them. I mean - one of them is not fully operational, making some clicking noises at faster speeds like it's moving out of rotation (can't find a word for it, I hope you understand what I mean) :).  The other are fine, just not so silent as it could be. All of them are actually the same type and the same manufacturer. I basically wanted to change all of them to something better and quieter.

It's all of them. I mean - one of them is not fully operational, making some clicking noises at faster speeds like it's moving out of rotation (can't find a word for it, I hope you understand what I mean) :).  The other are fine, just not so silent as it could be. All of them are actually the same type and the same manufacturer. I basically wanted to change all of them to something better and quieter.

In that case, 

120mm: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-case-fan-afaco120pcgba01

140mm: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005O65190/?tag=pcp05-21

2 in the front for intake and 2 for rear/top should be plenty. 

Your cooling is now quite good. My advice would be depending on if you want more cooling or more quiet either remove rear exhaust or flip it to intake. Also latter needs cpu cooler to be blowing towards top of case. I see that case has side holes also. You could more rear fan to sidepanel so it blows to GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hello... It's my first post and already a question, which I hope someone will answer :)

I'm going to change fans on my case. It's fairly old, but still works well (except for the fans controlling, which failed after a week or so...) but for now I don't see a point to switch it, it's still good enough for me. I'm only not perfectly happy with fans, especially one of them - it started to make some strange noises on higher speeds, so...

Anyway, my case is SilentiumPC Regnum L50. I won't be surprised if noone from here listened about it, it's Polish company, not so bad actually, but it's also nothing very expensive.

So, here is the diagram of how they recommend to put the fans:

attachicon.gifspc_regnum_wentylacja_ENG.jpg

For now, I have 2 x 120 in-takes in front, 2 x 120 out-takes on top and 1 x 140 out-take in back of the case. I was having also 1 x 120 on bottom, but I've changed PSU and it's a little longer, so unfortunately there's not enough room for bottom fan now.

My biggest concern is that I have now more out-takes than intakes, which as I've read may cause to too much dust to get inside the case. I was thinking about switching top fans to in-takes, but could there be any drawbacks of having this much in-takes? There would be 4 in-takes than and only 1 out-take.

And the second part of the question... What fans to choose? I was thinking about Noctua, but I've heard that they're better for cpu coolers/heatsinks, and that color... It's actually not a big problem - I even like it, although I still prefer black for this case :)

My second choice is Be Quiet SilentWings2. They're black, and not much worse than Noctua (at least in the specs). Will they be better for case in/out-takes?

And speaking of Noctua, I was also thinking about changing the fan on my CPU heatsink. Which Noctua would be the best choice for cooling CPU? I've read somewhere that NP-F12 is optimized for heatsinks, but I'm not sure if I remember this correctly.

thanks for any answer :)

This is good and there is no configuration that would make a change for you. As far as the fans go and not reading if you are liquid cooling or not, i would get 120mm as intakes and 140mm as outtakes.

120mm......

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DKEQV0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=419CPRZ90JL7&coliid=I109DLEDNYFQOX 

http://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Vortex-Cooling-CF-V12HPB-Black/dp/B008N323U6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395144736&sr=1-2&keywords=cougar

140mm....

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Hyperborea-140mm-Black-ROCF-11003/dp/B006CSKM20/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Your cooling is now quite good. My advice would be depending on if you want more cooling or more quiet either remove rear exhaust or flip it to intake. Also latter needs cpu cooler to be blowing towards top of case. I see that case has side holes also. You could more rear fan to sidepanel so it blows to GPU.

Actually I can't flip cpu fan to be blowing towards top, it can be only mounted to blow to the front, or the back of the case. Now it's blowing to the back of it, so it also makes no sense in switching back fan to intake I think.

There is side vent panel, but actually it's pretty strange, 'cause I don't see a point in it... There are only holes with the dust filter, but no mount points for the fans. I could of course drill them by myself, but I think I'll pass with it for now :)

I have no water cooling, CPU has something like tower heatsink with one 120mm fan blowing to the back of the case, pretty directly to the back fan.

So, for now I have to options I think. To remove the back fan (CPU fan still blows to the back of the case), sticking with 2x120 intakes on the front, and 2x120 outtakes on the top, or...

To stay with 140mm back fan, 2x120 intakes on the front and change top fans to 1x140.

I think the second option would have more sense, although there would be still more outtakes than intakes (I mean not by number of fans, but by its airflow, or whatever it's called). Also it'll be also quieter I think with 140mms.

I'll also make sure if I can't do anything to mount the bottom fan somehow, there would be more options than. I'll eventually change the case some day, but I think it'll be with more upgrades in the future (when I'll be chaning a motherboard, cpu, and almost every other component), for now it has to stay as it is :)

You can test if fan screws fit by themselves. My previous case had hole without dustfilter for CPU and them another mesh on top of GPU without mounting holes. Still I could add fan to it since holes were just right for fan screws.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

yea I think the stock configuration should work pretty good which ever fans you end up choosing. :) 

Bottom fans from my experience, and i am not saying that i have built systems in all the cases on the market and my view also does not include Case Lab cases, tend to do almost nothing. On most fans, the distance from the back of any fan to the nearest component that is generating heat is to far for a fan to do anything worth while. 

Regarding your options, here is another. I would put two 140mm on the top and the two 120mm in the front and change the back 140mm fan to the one i recommended as no case fan that comes with a case is as good as the one i recommended. I would also put one of tthe 120mm on the CPU cooler too.

You can test if fan screws fit by themselves. My previous case had hole without dustfilter for CPU and them another mesh on top of GPU without mounting holes. Still I could add fan to it since holes were just right for fan screws.

I did try to mount some old 92mm fan on the side. The holes are ok for the screws, although they are not positioned perfectly to match the fan's holes. I can't mount in in the perfect 90 degrees position, but I can do it on some other angle, so I think I can also try this with 120mm fan.

There is a good option too, and I think I can go this way (in terms of fans' positions). There is a major problem though.. I can't find the fans you've mentioned anywhere - only on amazon, and unfortunately they can't send them to my location (Poland), so I think I'll have to find some others.

I'm still wondering about BeQuiet as the case fans, although they're a little more expensive, and maybe some Noctua for the CPU heatsink (not sure which one exactly).

I did actually find a lot of good opinions about Rosewill fans, it's a shame that they're not available :/

I did actually find a lot of good opinions about Rosewill fans, it's a shame that they're not available :/

This is a shame. The BeQuiet fans aren't as good IMO, you can also try Phanteks for fans. This is a list of re-sellers in Poland of the original version of the Rosewill fans which are the Akasa Apache fans......http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=sales/sales.country.tpl&region=Europe&co=Poland Not sure how close any of them are to you but it is worth a look.

If you shop online alot like i do i would advise you to check with UPS, FedEx or any other Shipping company to see if you are allowed to open an account with them to ship your stuff to you, this way you can shop from amazon.com and all the other online websites available.

This is a shame. The BeQuiet fans aren't as good IMO, you can also try Phanteks for fans. This is a list of re-sellers in Poland of the original version of the Rosewill fans which are the Akasa Apache fans......http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=sales/sales.country.tpl&region=Europe&co=Poland Not sure how close any of them are to you but it is worth a look.

If you shop online alot like i do i would advise you to check with UPS, FedEx or any other Shipping company to see if you are allowed to open an account with them to ship your stuff to you, this way you can shop from amazon.com and all the other online websites available.

Oh... If it's Akasa, than I think we have a deal. I've already found it in one shop, which I did some shopping before, so I'll look more into it when I'll be back at home.

Speaking about shopping online - I buy mostly online these days, also at amazon.com. Unfortunately there are sometimes problems with US amazon, sometimes they can't ship into my location because of some restrictions, or sellers who doesn't ship because of some other reasons. There are also some sick shipping costs sometimes, like if I buy something for, lets say 5$, and shipping cost is ~50$ :)

It may sound funny, but it actually happens. Also with some products (especially at higher price) there might be some additional duty fees and taxes, so I prefer to buy from amazon.co.uk, because it's at least duty free for us.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info, I'll try to find these Akasa fans and I think I'll stick with that solution.

And what would you recommend for CPU heatsink? Like I said, it's something like tower heatsink for 120mm. I thought about Noctua, but maybe there's also better solution. Maybe even this Akasa/Rosewill fan will be also good for CPU?

Oh... If it's Akasa, than I think we have a deal. I've already found it in one shop, which I did some shopping before, so I'll look more into it when I'll be back at home.

Speaking about shopping online - I buy mostly online these days, also at amazon.com. Unfortunately there are sometimes problems with US amazon, sometimes they can't ship into my location because of some restrictions, or sellers who doesn't ship because of some other reasons. There are also some sick shipping costs sometimes, like if I buy something for, lets say 5$, and shipping cost is ~50$ :)

It may sound funny, but it actually happens. Also with some products (especially at higher price) there might be some additional duty fees and taxes, so I prefer to buy from amazon.co.uk, because it's at least duty free for us.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info, I'll try to find these Akasa fans and I think I'll stick with that solution.

And what would you recommend for CPU heatsink? Like I said, it's something like tower heatsink for 120mm. I thought about Noctua, but maybe there's also better solution. Maybe even this Akasa/Rosewill fan will be also good for CPU?

I also faced the shipping issue you have until i got a skybox in Miami, now my shipping and customs duties is cut down almost three quarters of what i would have to pay..check into one i am sure Poland would have one. The only bad thing is that if you want to RMA it is costly. I guaranty you that you will make a killing if you get one. For me if i see a watch on amazon like the Nixon 42-20 i just bought and it is on sale i make out like a bandit and not to mention the savings i get buying other things that don't even sell in my country. If you get duty free when shopping from amazon.uk then i would shop there all the damn time and smile doing it.

These come to mind for your CPU cooler ......

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19443/cpu-aka-18/Akasa_Venom_Medusa_Universal_8-Heatpipe_CPU_Cooler_AK-CC4010HP01_Sockets_LGA_775_115x_1366_2011_AM2_AM3_FM1.html?tl=g40c14s1037

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17550/cpu-pro-29/Prolimatech_Megahalems_Rev_C_Intel_CPU_Heatsink_-_Black_Edition_LGA_775_115x_1366_2011_AM2_AM2_AM3.html?tl=g40c14s1037#blank

and if you have space this would be interesting......

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12811/cpu-pro-22/Prolimatech_Genesis_Universal_CPU_Heatsink_-_Motherboard_Cooler_LGA_775_115x_1366_2011_AM2_AM2_AM3.html?tl=g40c14s1037#blank

I also faced the shipping issue you have until i got a skybox in Miami, now my shipping and customs duties is cut down almost three quarters of what i would have to pay..check into one i am sure Poland would have one. The only bad thing is that if you want to RMA it is costly. I guaranty you that you will make a killing if you get one. For me if i see a watch on amazon like the Nixon 42-20 i just bought and it is on sale i make out like a bandit and not to mention the savings i get buying other things that don't even sell in my country. If you get duty free when shopping from amazon.uk then i would shop there all the damn time and smile doing it.

These come to mind for your CPU cooler ......

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19443/cpu-aka-18/Akasa_Venom_Medusa_Universal_8-Heatpipe_CPU_Cooler_AK-CC4010HP01_Sockets_LGA_775_115x_1366_2011_AM2_AM3_FM1.html?tl=g40c14s1037

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17550/cpu-pro-29/Prolimatech_Megahalems_Rev_C_Intel_CPU_Heatsink_-_Black_Edition_LGA_775_115x_1366_2011_AM2_AM2_AM3.html?tl=g40c14s1037#blank

and if you have space this would be interesting......

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12811/cpu-pro-22/Prolimatech_Genesis_Universal_CPU_Heatsink_-_Motherboard_Cooler_LGA_775_115x_1366_2011_AM2_AM2_AM3.html?tl=g40c14s1037#blank

No, you didn't understand me correctly. I don't want to change all of the cpu cooling. I already have a heatsink on it, I only want to change the fan.

And speaking of amazon, I'll check if there's anything like skybox available at my region, but I've never heard of something like that.

No, you didn't understand me correctly. I don't want to change all of the cpu cooling. I already have a heatsink on it, I only want to change the fan.

And speaking of amazon, I'll check if there's anything like skybox available at my region, but I've never heard of something like that.

You are correct i misunderstood you, you can change out the fan once the retention clips for your CPU heatsink can fit the new fan.

You are correct i misunderstood you, you can change out the fan once the retention clips for your CPU heatsink can fit the new fan.

Yea, it's not a problem, my heatsink has something like rubber pins to mount the fan, so it can fit all of the standard 120mm fans.

Thanks again for all the help and all the information. I've ordered couple of Akasa Apaches. I was thinking about Akasa Viper for the CPU, as I've discovered it's pretty much the same as Apache, only it can work at higher speeds, which might be better for the CPU in some situations, but unfortunately, they have no Vipers in the shop where I've put my order, so I've decided that I'll mount Apache also on CPU. It should still be easy enough for my CPU, even at lower speeds.

And by the way, I've checked skybox, but unfortunately they don't send to Poland. I'll try to look more into it, maybe I'll find some other company like that, 'cause it could be very helpful in the future. UK amazon is actually not a big deal for me, of course there are some promotions etc., but most times the prices are pretty high. Prices at US amazon on the other hand are much lower almost all the time. Of course there are sometimes some additional fees, like taxes, and more expensive shipping, but even than it's sometimes better deal. Unfortunately, like I said before, there are still some products and/or sellers that just don't send to EU, or some countries in EU, and that's the biggest problem. If I could find something like skybox it would be great :)

Anyway... thanks again for all the help, now I only have to wait for my new fans, clean all of this *** dust in my case and change the fans :)

Yea, it's not a problem, my heatsink has something like rubber pins to mount the fan, so it can fit all of the standard 120mm fans.

Thanks again for all the help and all the information. I've ordered couple of Akasa Apaches. I was thinking about Akasa Viper for the CPU, as I've discovered it's pretty much the same as Apache, only it can work at higher speeds, which might be better for the CPU in some situations, but unfortunately, they have no Vipers in the shop where I've put my order, so I've decided that I'll mount Apache also on CPU. It should still be easy enough for my CPU, even at lower speeds.

And by the way, I've checked skybox, but unfortunately they don't send to Poland. I'll try to look more into it, maybe I'll find some other company like that, 'cause it could be very helpful in the future. UK amazon is actually not a big deal for me, of course there are some promotions etc., but most times the prices are pretty high. Prices at US amazon on the other hand are much lower almost all the time. Of course there are sometimes some additional fees, like taxes, and more expensive shipping, but even than it's sometimes better deal. Unfortunately, like I said before, there are still some products and/or sellers that just don't send to EU, or some countries in EU, and that's the biggest problem. If I could find something like skybox it would be great :)

Anyway... thanks again for all the help, now I only have to wait for my new fans, clean all of this *** dust in my case and change the fans :)

Good to hear. The Akasa Apache 120mm is very quiet at full 1300RPM. I have six in push pull on my 360mm radiator and it is much quieter than the 200mm fans on my case.

If you were considering the Vipers, which by the way are the loudest fans they make, but they were not in stock you could have looked for the Piranhas. The Piranhas have stronger static pressure than all the fan Akasa presently make. 

Good to hear. The Akasa Apache 120mm is very quiet at full 1300RPM. I have six in push pull on my 360mm radiator and it is much quieter than the 200mm fans on my case.

If you were considering the Vipers, which by the way are the loudest fans they make, but they were not in stock you could have looked for the Piranhas. The Piranhas have stronger static pressure than all the fan Akasa presently make. 

I was looking also at piranha, but I think I've overlooked something... I thought it's worse than Apache/Viper. I see that they even have it in stock now, maybe I'll be able to change my order and switch one of the Apaches to Piranha. If not, I'll just mount the Apache, it should still be good, or I'll change it later.

Get new corsair fans and I would just reverse the top fans so they blow inward

I was looking also at piranha, but I think I've overlooked something... I thought it's worse than Apache/Viper. I see that they even have it in stock now, maybe I'll be able to change my order and switch one of the Apaches to Piranha. If not, I'll just mount the Apache, it should still be good, or I'll change it later.

Cool.

Enermax TB silence aren't a bad choice either.

About the dust, you could buy a fiber/mesh on a tools/house components shop, they usually sell it by meter, then you just have to cut.

As said before, 2 in front for intake, 2 top for exhaust should be ok. You should consider covering unused fan mount spots because in case of positive pressure the air will eventually go out through them and kinda disrupt the direction of the flow you are trying to achieve. Won't alter much, but can be a hustle.