ASUS Strix 3070 O8G red led blink at power connector

Naonak

Hi everyone,

I managed to find an ASUS Strix 3070 O8G and I've paired it with a be quiet dark power pro 11 750W plat, strix b550-e, and a 5900x.

Everything works fine apparently, running the card in OC mode, but when I turn off the pc two red leds start blinking on the gpu right next to the power connectors.

This is only AFTER hours long gaming sessions during which I see no issues, both cpu and gpu fans work properly, temps are optimal, performance is awesome.

The blinking persists when next I boot but stops once I flick the psu switch and doesn't show up until next time I boot/turn off.

Asus support says it may be a psu issue, but I'm not entirely sure since everything is brand new. Can't seem to find any documentation related to this blinking.

Should I rma my psu? Should I get more wattage, is 750 not enough?

What do, help please kind people of LTTF.

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.

Yup, I'm sure, already turned off all the unicorn barf, no fps gain with it sooo... :) 

Here's a pic

IMG_20201215_100824.jpg

That is the card saying the connectors are not delivering the correct power but it's not supposed to do that when the system is off so might just be a weird little bug for now

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That is the card saying the connectors are not delivering the correct power but it's not supposed to do that when the system is off so might just be a weird little bug for now

I tried disabling fast boot and everything thinking it goes into some weird hibernate mode where the gpu thinks it should still be on, but it still blinks with these disabled...

What worries me is that it persists when next I boot...

2 minutes ago, Naonak said:

I tried disabling fast boot and everything thinking it goes into some weird hibernate mode where the gpu thinks it should still be on, but it still blinks with these disabled...

It seems you can change the leds in software but not specified which

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It seems you can change the leds in software but not specified which

Not finding anything in Aura nor GPU Tweak II, where'd you see that it can be changed?

1 minute ago, Naonak said:

Not finding anything in Aura nor GPU Tweak II, where'd you see that it can be changed?

Googled a bit and some people could rgb tweak it. You may just wanna reseat the pcie connectors and see what happens

39 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Googled a bit and some people could rgb tweak it. You may just wanna reseat the pcie connectors and see what happens

Yeah already tried that before, tried it again now just to sanity check but no luck, issue still there.

• 1 month later...

I have a RTX 3070 8gb OC paired with asus strix b550f motherboard, I had the same issure looked up and found this. My problem is solved for now. All I did was shutdown the PC disconnect power to psu and hold the power button until the ROG logo in the PC turned off and so did the red blinking LEDs on the GPU. other than the blinking red LEDs there was no performance issue on my PC. Hope this helps.

Hi , The Leds, you are correct ,show spikes or low power , but at the same time, when the computer is off, in long hours of game, the capacitors of the Motherboard stay loaded with power , so the card tries to let you know that still getting current even when is off, is some type of security issue, letting you know to be careful while handling the card at that moment since it has current going through , you can activate this or deactivate from GPU Twek, is not an RGB effect , is just a current Led Indicator 

Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.11 - 16.15.06.13.png

Thats Why after yho unplugged everything , and let the capacitors get empty the problem stopped, if you dont want that , you can just deactivate it from GPU twek, and the option will appear every time you select a new profile for the card , gaming, overclocked, silence etc , click in onw of the profiles, slect on of off, and press apply.

20 hours ago, EMMAPOOLE1985 said:

Hi , The Leds, you are correct ,show spikes or low power , but at the same time, when the computer is off, in long hours of game, the capacitors of the Motherboard stay loaded with power , so the card tries to let you know that still getting current even when is off, is some type of security issue, letting you know to be careful while handling the card at that moment since it has current going through , you can activate this or deactivate from GPU Twek, is not an RGB effect , is just a current Led Indicator 

Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.11 - 16.15.06.13.png

Thanks man, that makes complete sense.

My GPU Tweak II was stuck at 2.2.7.0 and was not reporting new versions.

I got the latest version and this option showed up, so I'll give it a shot.

It's weird that ASUS support didn't tell me anything about this feature when I contacted them =/

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I have the same problem with ROG-STRIX-RTX3060-O12G-GAMING

don't know if it's a hardware or software issue. Little red light flashing on the GPU. The flashing does not occur if I turn off the PSU and then on (power off button). The red light is not flashing, but after I turn it on again and start windows and shut it down, the red light starts flashing and does not stop until if I turn the PSU off again.

I tried updating drivers for the GPU and downgrading drivers. Plugged and unplugged the power cable from the PSU and GPU (i read on a forum that cables maybe are not pushed in good enough). I also tried to put the GPU in a different PC, no luck, the red light still flashing.

The PC is freshly built, with all components new.

Also wrote to ASUS and they replied:

Regarding the described problem, we would kindly like to inform you that if you have tried the product on another computer and the problem remains then there is probably a problem with the graphics card, we are kindly asking to contact your Dealer in order to arrange the Diagnosis .

If the graphic card is fully functional and the LED light is still flashing and has been tested with another power supply, then please wait for the new version of Drivers of the graphics card.(You will find it on the website below)

Also tried the GPU tweak and yes it does turn off. But my question is...if something is wrong with the GPU is this not better to be on (Asus GPU tweak option - power detect) or is it only for the power - current. What other colors those the GPU offer and there meaning if there are.

My older RTX 2070 SUPER has 2 white led lights always on.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 4:21 PM, Famous said:

Hello,

I have the same problem with ROG-STRIX-RTX3060-O12G-GAMING

don't know if it's a hardware or software issue. Little red light flashing on the GPU. The flashing does not occur if I turn off the PSU and then on (power off button). The red light is not flashing, but after I turn it on again and start windows and shut it down, the red light starts flashing and does not stop until if I turn the PSU off again.

I tried updating drivers for the GPU and downgrading drivers. Plugged and unplugged the power cable from the PSU and GPU (i read on a forum that cables maybe are not pushed in good enough). I also tried to put the GPU in a different PC, no luck, the red light still flashing.

The PC is freshly built, with all components new.

Also wrote to ASUS and they replied:

Regarding the described problem, we would kindly like to inform you that if you have tried the product on another computer and the problem remains then there is probably a problem with the graphics card, we are kindly asking to contact your Dealer in order to arrange the Diagnosis .

If the graphic card is fully functional and the LED light is still flashing and has been tested with another power supply, then please wait for the new version of Drivers of the graphics card.(You will find it on the website below)

Also tried the GPU tweak and yes it does turn off. But my question is...if something is wrong with the GPU is this not better to be on (Asus GPU tweak option - power detect) or is it only for the power - current. What other colors those the GPU offer and there meaning if there are.

My older RTX 2070 SUPER has 2 white led lights always on.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, bro i have the same problem... can u solve it? and how?

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem so it this morning and thinking it I have not noticed before i have a ASUS Strix 3070Ti with 1000w power supply

IMG_7367.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 7:48 PM, steward202 said:

I have the same problem so it this morning and thinking it I have not noticed before i have a ASUS Strix 3070Ti with 1000w power supply

IMG_7367.jpg

I actually had this same issue but I managed to fix it. Essentially it means the card has detected a severe loss of power or voltage aka when you shut a system down after a game. The fix for this is to get GPU tweak 3 and on the side you should see 3 settings one of which is called indicator something on the bottom. Flick that to off and it will stop the flashing.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed to have the same issue/A similar issue. {problem is fixed see below}

---------

Based on video's of which all show RAPID blinking. all which show 6+ blinks every second [under Idle].

Mine is around 1 blink every 1-2 seconds. under Idle and under full load. which might be a different issue.

I never overclocked or underclocked the GPU. So I have no idea what caused it to happen.

------------

I Will try the driver update first.

I will then try to Remount the Cables.

But as I have a AIO GPU cooler, trying it in a different system is not possible for me, without taking apart my entire system. [which luckily was not needed]

My GPU  has 2 separate Cables from the PSU, so no pigtailing. 

---

GPU tweak 3 does not show the Power led indicator toggle on my system.

---

When doing a Passmark test, for the GPU only, there is no change in the slow blinking speed, or the color of the LEDS [image is pre-driver upgrade]

654279277_Hwinfovalues.thumb.png.6ceff323ab75c7980f49ddd48149d07f.png

----------

update: a driver update fixed it for me. I can now also see the Power-Detect, setting in GPU_tweak [As it was turned ON] and the Power LED's do not blink anymore this Looks to have solved it for me.

What I did:

1 Update the drivers {Full clean install, [keep user settings]}

2 After the  driver update is done, Do a FULL shutdown. {turn off the Switch of the PSU}, and press the power button for 30 Seconds.

Check the cables, by completely removing them, and remounting them.

4 Reboot the system

5 Do a Passmark test 
6 Problem should be Fixed now, and the LED's should be OFF or white, depending on your CPU

With my passmark test the Fans of the cooler ramped up, which it did not previously.

So this is another indicator that the problem would be solved.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝